PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gost is a free agent next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
so for all those saying get rid of him, who are you going to bring in to replace him?

Is he perfect? No, but he’s a lot better than 31 other kickers in the league.

The other thing is we have no idea how much cap we may or may not have.

Gost has failed in multiple big spots. I think he's more of a liability at this point.

The Broncos game was basically a season lost from a missed extra point.

Failed in multiple big spots? And you mention a single game against a team where the Pats have failed multiple times so trying to know exactly which game you're referring to puts the onus on us to debunk you.

Care to be more specific in regards to which game against Denver you are referring to??

so for all those saying get rid of him, who are you going to bring in to replace him?

I love Gost, but he's not better than the other 30 some kickers in the league.
Amongst the kickers with more than 15 or more FG attempts, Gost was 20th with an 84% success rate (27/32).

And where he usually excells, kick-offs, there was a noticeable drop-off.
During 2018:
Total kickoffs - 93 - 3rd most overall
Total Touchbacks - 50 - 53.8% - 27th overall
Total Returns - 42 - 2nd most overall
Total Avg. Return* - 24.6 YPR - Good for 24th overall.

Field goals made: 27 - Good for 10th
Field goal Attempts - 32 - 8th most
XP Made: 49 - 3rd most
XP Attempt: 50 - 4th most

During the 2017 season:
Total kickoffs - 99 - most overall
Total Touchbacks - 40 - 40.2% - 27th overall
Total Returns - 58 - Most overall
Total Avg. Return* - 18.9 YPR - Good for 7th overall.

Field goals made:37 - Good for 4th
Field goal Attempts - 40 - 4th most
XP Made: 45 - 2nd most
XP Attempt: 47 - 2nd most

So, while Gost improved on the number of kick-offs for Touchbacks, the average return grew significantly. I put an asterisk there because I want to acknowledge that the Average return is greatly affected by the play of the other 10 guys on the field.

Gost missed 2 more FGs this year than last, but made 1 more XP.

Again, it's going to come down to value. Whether or not BB thinks that $5M for Gostkowski and what he brings to the kick-off and FG game is worth it.

Kickers put points on the board. You don't screw with that. There's maybe 2-3 kickers you maybe put ahead of him and he plays in one of the top 5 hardest stadiums to kick in.

Ghost hasn't been automatic the way he once was. But he's still top tier. Unless Belichick is super comfortable with someone.

Gost had some annoying miss but i still think he's reliable and worth a second look.

I’ll just let this one ride. Whatever happens, happens.

5 misses in the last 3 superbowls.

Robbie Gould would do.

He’s been shaky at times. He probably saved his job by making the FG in the 4th quarter. If he missed and NE lost, he’d be a goner for sure.
He almost missed the last one. It hooked.

Too many misses for me.

One day he will miss the game winner and then it will be too late.

Rob Gostowski hooked the last kick barely clearly the upright. Brady had to convince BB to kick the last FG. That tells me that BB has his doubts about his kicker.

I am concerned about his FG kicking.

I think we had Robbie Gould and let him go to keep Adam Vinatieri, who soon after dumped us to become an Indiot. We're lucky to have a guy who kicks them longer and/or more accurately than both of those kickers.

There is one other point. Gost is second all time in post season points with 205, trailing Adam V at 238 by 33 points. He averages 7.5 points per game so he needs 5 games to catch Adam V.Where is his best shot to get those games? With the Patriots or some other team??? Granted he's not a QB or WR with $50 million contract but if ego plays a role and he wants to be the alltime leader soem day, I think he is more likely to stay if the $$ is close...

I expect the Patriots to keep both kickers.

5 misses in the last 3 superbowls.

He didn't have 5 misses in the last 3 SBs.
He missed a 48 yard FG this year.
He missed a FG and XP against Philly
He missed an XP against Atlanta.

That's 4 "misses". And pretty much everyone is giving him a pass for the 48 yarder this year because of his Grandfather passing. Especially since he came back and nailed the next two that sealed the game.

One day he will miss the game winner and then it will be too late.

Rob Gostowski hooked the last kick barely clearly the upright. Brady had to convince BB to kick the last FG. That tells me that BB has his doubts about his kicker.

I am concerned about his FG kicking.

Brady didn't have to convince BB of anything. The mic'ced up exchange shows BB asking what Brady wanted to do.. Which is a sign of respect for Tom..

[QUOTE="Triumph, post: 5530335, member: 2153

I am concerned about his FG kicking.[/QUOTE]

Is an intervention in order? I am concerned about how much celebrating a Super Bowl victory you've been doing to get to the point where you combine and bastardize the names of Rob Gronkowski & Stephen Gostkowski.

Or has @fnordcircle been doing the mad scientist thing again and actually combined them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes