PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: NFL is thinking about making the draft a 4-day event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than constantly referring to the owners and defending Goodell like your related to him, why not take a stance on some of these proposals?

Are you in favor of an 18 game schedule?
Yes, and I recognize that the ultimate decision to go with that rests on the owners and the players, not the commissioner.
Do you think a team in London is good?
No, but I recognize that the decision to go with that rests on the owners, not the commissioner. And I have sworn that the day they announce they are having a Super Bowl in London will be the last day I contribute anything whatsoever to the NFL in terms of buying merchandise or following media.

I won't be one of these morons who whines and moans and then still watches anyway. I will issue a few goodbyes and then the NFL will be dead to me. However, I do not believe that is going to happen, so I feel safe.
Do you like the draft in May?
The honest answer is I really don't care. The only problem I have with pushing the draft back is that it also pushes the schedule release back. That's the day I wish they would move up. The draft itself I really don't care whether it is in mid-April or early-May.
Do you believe playoff expansion is a good thing?
No, because I like the current system, but I recognize that the decision to go with that rests on the owners, not the commissioner.
Are you capable of having an opinion that differs from Roger and the owners?
Based on the above, it sure looks like I am.
Questioning authority is the very foundation this society is built on. I could give you some examples of why never doing it resulted in catastrophe. It's OK to form an opinion other than the one your told you need to have. Really, it is.
Questioning authority is fine. Problem is all you're doing is criticizing an employee of the league, not the true authorities.

Last edited:
You said "He also has way more autonomy than you think he does." I am asking you for specific examples of things Goodell can do autonomously (not related to discipline issues), and you haven't provided a single example.
If "everyone knew it" I wouldn't have to scream it. But fact is there are plenty of ignorant masses out there.

Autonomy to introduce and push for rule changes, scoring changes, kicking changes, how to tackle, where to tackle, what behavior will result in a fine, 4 day drafts, etc. Or do you think Kraft is steering the ship on where to kickoff, where to kick extra points, pushing the pile on a blocked FG attempt. etc.? In 2014 it will be mandatory for the players to wear certain padding. Is that coming from the owners?

Fact is, the rule changes are voted on when they are recommended to the owners by the Competition Committee, the Competition Committee members are appointed there by Roger Goodell.

Problem is all you're doing is criticizing an employee of the league, not the true authorities.

He's much more than a mere employee.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/main/photos/1303/50-most-powerful-people-in-sports/

As de facto CEO of the King of All Sports Leagues -- more than $9 billion in annual revenue; furnisher of many (O.K., most) of the highest-rated TV programs -- the NFL commissioner wields considerable influence by dint of job title alone. But Goodell has consistently pushed, and sometimes trespassed, the boundaries of that authority.

Autonomy to introduce and push for rule changes, scoring changes, kicking changes, how to tackle, where to tackle, what behavior will result in a fine, 4 day drafts, etc.
Exactly. You have 100% proven my point. If all you can do is "introduce and push for" changes, then you have no autonomous authority!!!.

Of course he can make recommendations, build consensus, talk to owners, and so on. But the most he can do is "introduce and push for" changes. He cannot do a damn thing autonomously.

Exactly. You have 100% proven my point. If all you can do is "introduce and push for" changes, then you have no autonomous authority!!!.

Of course he can make recommendations, build consensus, talk to owners, and so on. But the most he can do is "introduce and push for" changes. He cannot do a damn thing autonomously.

That's great but I never said he had autonomous authority. I said he was more autonomous than you give him credit for. He is much more than an employee doing only what he is told to do.

Guess who else doesn't have autonomous authority? Kraft on his own or any of the other owners on their own, the competition committee on their own, the players union on its own, the television networks. If the owners unanimously voted for an 18 game schedule, it still would have to be approved by the players union. You're taking too simplistic of a view of how this business works.

Last edited:
The NFL should have the draft last all year and have one team pick one guy every day of the year so Roger Goodell could stand at a podium with cameras on him every friggin' conscious moment of his miserable, insecure life.

That's great but I never said he had autonomous authority.
Good Lord, your point has been completely disproven and now you're just resorting to weak semantic discussions.
Guess who else doesn't have autonomous authority? Kraft on his own or any of the other owners on their own, the competition committee on their own, the players union on its own, the television networks. If the owners unanimously voted for an 18 game schedule, it still would have to be approved by the players union. You're taking too simplistic of a view of how this business works.
There is nothing simplistic about it. Quite the opposite. Unlike you, I understand the NFL's organizational structure is one where Goodell is not at the top.

Goodell: NFL is thinking about making the draft a 4-day event - CBSSports.com

I truly can't stand Goodell. The draft should be happening this weekend, instead it's spread over 3 days in May (the month they would like to move it to permanently so they can monopolize another month). Now he wants it spread over 4 days in yet another transparent money grab. My interest in this years draft is the lowest it's been in over 20 years thanks to the new format. How much more can he water down everything about the game?

Don't even get me started on his idiotic idea to expand the playoffs.

They should begin the draft on February 20th and allow for five picks each day at primetime until all seven rounds have completed. Now that would be awesome.
7 rounds. 7 days. Just sayin'.:)
Maybe 1 round a Saturday (or Friday if ratings are better) for seven weeks. The draft season.o_O:rolleyes:

Yes, and I recognize that the ultimate decision to go with that rests on the owners and the players, not the commissioner.
I'm actually not in favor of 18 games. I'll explain below.
No, but I recognize that the decision to go with that rests on the owners, not the commissioner. And I have sworn that the day they announce they are having a Super Bowl in London will be the last day I contribute anything whatsoever to the NFL in terms of buying merchandise or following media.
I agree. Having a SB in London would be sacrilege, and putting a team there is just logistically impractical. I like the yearly games there though. I think they should keep it East Coast teams only and maybe try a West Coast equivelent in Mexico City or Tokyo or Sydney for the other side of the Mississippi. I'm not opposed to international exposure.

I won't be one of these morons who whines and moans and then still watches anyway. I will issue a few goodbyes and then the NFL will be dead to me. However, I do not believe that is going to happen, so I feel safe.
Don't lie to yourself. You'll still watch:). I feel safe it won't happen anyway either.
The honest answer is I really don't care. The only problem I have with pushing the draft back is that it also pushes the schedule release back. That's the day I wish they would move up. The draft itself I really don't care whether it is in mid-April or early-May.
I'm mostly indefferent, but still impatient at this point. I miss my draft even though I know it's coming. Too much time on my hands to give me reason to resort to some good ol' Goodell bashing.
No, because I like the current system, but I recognize that the decision to go with that rests on the owners, not the commissioner.
Seeing how playoff expansion is going to happen, I'd rather see it be a full 16 team tournament. I like football every week and don't really care for the playoff bye. Reg season OK, but I like playoff football even from cities I really don't care about. I'd rather see that then 18 games
Based on the above, it sure looks like I am.Questioning authority is fine. Problem is all you're doing is criticizing an employee of the league, not the true authorities.
I'm not criticizing an employee of the league, I'm criticizing THE employee of the league. I enjoy flinging boogers at Mr. Omnipotent. He's a power-drunk dictator and as long as the moneys flowin, those 32 owners are his yes men.

I like as it is now. 4 days is dragging. Maybe they're thinking the last day in London!

I agree. Having a SB in London would be sacrilege, and putting a team there is just logistically impractical.
I agree 100%. The seasons would be too grueling. Free agents would never voluntarily go there. But note my "quitting NFL" only applies to the Super Bowl, not a franchise

The leading contender to move to London is Jacksonville, but I tell ya this: If Jax moves to London, they will join the AFC East and Miami would shift to the AFC South, so it would affect us somewhat.
Don't lie to yourself. You'll still watch:).
Let us hope we never find out.

27347937.jpg

Goodell_Does_Perp_Walk.png

LORD HEAR OUR PRAYER

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back