PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: NFL is thinking about making the draft a 4-day event

Status
Not open for further replies.
people who watch the draft are weird.

I agree, and fully admit to being a full-on weirdo. I even warn my girlfriend what nights I will be watching the draft so she knows what nights she needs to find something to do. I think she is simultaneously appreciative of the courtesy, and hates me a little for what I've become. It's a good relationship.

Well I do not watch the draft anymore, so they lost me for this event.

Think of it this way.
The NFL business knows that it has you and me hooked. Completely.
So their efforts are spent making any and all changes they believe will expand their customer base.
What "fans" think is irrelevant, up to a point, a point not yet reached.
Brace yourself for more and more changes.

Goodell sucks.

Baseball was once in the position that football is in now. Let football keep thinking it can't fall. It's already lost me for the draft and most Thursday games, and I'm someone who follows football 365. Others will eventually realize that there's more to life than following the dictates of Roger Goodell and a bunch of overly greedy billionaires.

Baseball was once in the position that football is in now. Let football keep thinking it can't fall. It's already lost me for the draft and most Thursday games, and I'm someone who follows football 365. Others will eventually realize that there's more to life than following the dictates of Roger Goodell and a bunch of overly greedy billionaires.

True here also, but yet perhaps aside from not watching a few craptastic Thurs night games, I'm still watching. I can however visualize a possible future where I might lose interest. Call me a front runner but I wonder if the post partum depression after BB and TFB leave might see some long time fans decide to back away and not endure the wilderness again if the NFL in general gets too annoying.

But I guess that's why they want to attract the new fans.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but there's a poll at sportsline.com about when you prefer the NFL draft to be, April or May. Currently, after over 10k votes, its 88% for April. It doesn't mean anything or that it will not get good ratings but it's clear fans want the draft in April.

Baseball declined as a sport because they refused to change, Kids got bored with it because the purists control MLB and they are slow to adapt to the times. The NFL could fall, but it will be for far different reasons.

As for the draft, I will watch it no matter what format it is. Switching to four days will ruin the experience I used to have, but I will still watch. The difference is that it won't be with four or five of my buddies.

As for Thursday night football, I will watch if the game is interesting. Won't if it isn't. By I say that about Sunday and Monday night games. I will watch more Thursday night games this year because they have better games.

people who watch the draft are weird.

IDK, I guess I am weird, but the draft can be pretty exciting at times. You see a team late with their pick and there is a mad rush.

I used to watch the draft with friends and eat pizza and drink beer. It was more of a social thing. Now I usually watch it while doing other things. I don't sit there watching every minute. I assume that is how most people watch it.

They don't care that they're watering down the sport and that they're only going to hurt it in the long run with dumb moves like this one, as long as it puts more money in their pocket right off the bat.
People have been whining about the NFL being "watered down" for over a decade now, and yet the league is as strong and as enjoyable as ever.

I enjoy seeing the chicken little "sky is falling" crowd chime in, like they have been doing for 10+ years, despite the fact that absolutely none of their predictions have come to pass.

40,000 posts (and counting) from a guy trying to tell us all that " there's more to life than following the dictates of Roger Goodell and a bunch of overly greedy billionaires." LOLOL

IDK, I guess I am weird, but the draft can be pretty exciting at times. You see a team late with their pick and there is a mad rush.

I used to watch the draft with friends and eat pizza and drink beer. It was more of a social thing. Now I usually watch it while doing other things. I don't sit there watching every minute. I assume that is how most people watch it.
You would definitely have to make an event out of it for me.

Maybe have a bunch of friends over and have like a madden tournament, with a house rule where every touchdown requires a shot.

There is no BB game on that day so I might watch the first round if there is no good hockey on, but seriously what is next for them to try and drag this stuff out with? Are they going to start a summer league?

No..obviously, because it is such a slam bang huge hit according to a certain sphinctersicle, Crudell will stretch the 1st and 2nd rounds out over FOUR days next year and then continue the draft THROUGH the following week. Everyone will LOVE it!!!

man, move the draft back to april, god damn it I'm agonizing

I remember the Mike Tice debacles of 02'-03. Now THAT was entertaining. They dropped like three picks back or something because a deal with Balt. fell thru. Imagine how that would have changed the AFC. Balt. was going to take Leftwich.

IIRC the year before they tried to get Ryan Sims when they thought they leap-frogged the Dal-KC trade, only to be rebuffed when it was revealed KC had indeed turned in their card in time. Too lazy to look it back up.

On a side note I think Tice held the record for fine amount to a coach for a SB ticket scalping scandal before Suckell burned BB. I miss that guy. Have fun ATL

I remember the Mike Tice debacles of 02'-03. Now THAT was entertaining. They dropped like three picks back or something because a deal with Balt. fell thru. Imagine how that would have changed the AFC. Balt. was going to take Leftwich.

IIRC the year before they tried to get Ryan Sims when they thought they leap-frogged the Dal-KC trade, only to be rebuffed when it was revealed KC had indeed turned in their card in time. Too lazy to look it back up.

On a side note I think Tice held the record for fine amount to a coach for a SB ticket scalping scandal before Suckell burned BB. I miss that guy. Have fun ATL

Off-topic, but what is your avatar picture of, OE1? I tried blowing up the pic a bit but wasn't able to.

Off-topic, but what is your avatar picture of, OE1? I tried blowing up the pic a bit but wasn't able to.
It looks like the three Lombardi trophies the Pats have.

Goodell gets whooped by crazed NFL fans. "Couldn't leave well enough alone.

Those would be the 3 Lombardi's in the trophy room at the Patriot HOF with my then 3 year old boy in the backround. I got chills up my spine when I came around the corner and walked in. Confetti falls from the ceiling every 5 minutes or so and there's theme music playing in the backround.

A site every true Patriot fan must behold.

IMG_3051.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye