PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good to NOT be undefeated at this point?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you rather be undefeated at this point right now?

• Of course, at 12-0, 19-0 would be realistic

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • no, I'm fine with how it's playing out currently at 10-2

Votes: 30 63.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For a 10-2 season I almost feel like the Pats have been a little under the radar.

People remember the 2-2 start and the terrible defensive performances early on in which the media cooled on New England. Brady and the Pats have since just 'gotten the job done'. Not always in spectacular fashion, but effective.

I feel like the Eagles, Saints, Vikings, and Rams are getting much more of the media attention. After all, the NFC has the most interesting power struggles for top playoffs seeds.

That, however, would not be the case if the Pats were still undefeated at this point. They would have been under the microscope for at least 5 weeks at this point. The pressure most certainly would be building inside the locker room.

I think it's good that they lost a game already.

Nope still want 19-0, with Edelman and Hightower back next season, barring injuries I expect 19-0 next year, Edelman alone and we are 12-0 right now yes him alone changes everything, if he's close to 100 or near it next season, our offense will be what it would of been this year had he not tore his acl, so the team that was supposed to go break records and go 19-0 and out do '07 will be intact next season as long as the keys stay healthy

Regardless of whether they were still undefeated, I think BB and the coaching staff do a great job of ignoring the outside noise. The culture in the locker room is designed specifically to tune out stuff like that.

With that being said, the Pats went 14-2 last season and it was fairly ho-hum as far as the media went, everyone was focused on Elliott's stellar rookie season and the Falcons' high powered offense (and we all know how that one ended).

Personally, it's been interesting to see the Saints, Vikes and Rams return to the spotlight this season. Especially considering they've all done so in very different ways.

It's been nice to have the Pats not be "the story" this year. As the poster just above noted, it's great that there are several "good" stories in the League this year...I'd just add the Iggles to that list...and remark that they're all in the NFC.

The Pats also caught a big break when the only "bad" story about the team to hit the media (Gronk's penalty and suspension) was effectively drowned out by all the noise around Eli's benching and the the Giants' chaos in the same week.

Would love to see a 19-0 season but it's unrealistic because of all the crap that happens during the season.

I think BB and Brady are more than mentally tough enough to guide the team through it.

Not a huge fan of the poll options. The goal is to win, always. Sometimes that's not possible, and the team tries to correct mistakes and move on. It happens. I don't think it's somehow a burden to be undefeated. Yes, the 2007 team lost, but I'm not 100% convinced that it was just because they cracked under the pressure. Likewise, I don't think a loss is the only thing that prompts the coaching staff to reevaluate.

All things being equal, my wishlist for each season is 1) make the playoffs, 2) stay healthy, and 3) win every game, including the Super Bowl. If that gives us 19-0 one of these years, then I'd be very happy. Ultimately, though, it's only about winning the Belichick trophy -- er, the Lombardi trophy. :cool:

Regardless of whether they were still undefeated, I think BB and the coaching staff do a great job of ignoring the outside noise. The culture in the locker room is designed specifically to tune out stuff like that.

With that being said, the Pats went 14-2 last season and it was fairly ho-hum as far as the media went, everyone was focused on Elliott's stellar rookie season and the Falcons' high powered offense (and we all know how that one ended).

Personally, it's been interesting to see the Saints, Vikes and Rams return to the spotlight this season. Especially considering they've all done so in very different ways.

I have a Rams fan coworker. He's excited that the Rams will be returning to the playoffs...after 13 years! Last time around, they were in the twilight of the greatest show on turf while TB/BB were winning their 3rd and are now eyeing their 6th. That level of ownage is staggering when you see things from an outside fans perspective.

By the way, you have a creative username.

why settle for 19-0? Nineteen is such an odd number. I want an even 20-0 and the Super Bowl!

I just want the Pats to win the last game of the season. I think it's in early February. It doesn't bother me if they lose any of the games in the first 17 weeks.

I don't think it's somehow a burden to be undefeated.

What? Of course it is. The 2007 Patriots even said as much.

Was that why they lost? No, but it certainly took a toll on people......the pressure to be perfect.

I think it's moronic to say its ever a good thing to lose.

On the surface, I agree, it sounds idiotic BUT the 2007 Pats would probably disagree with you.

And no, that's not why they lost, but the players talked about the added mental fatigue that it created.

Was that why they lost? No, but it certainly took a toll on people......the pressure to be perfect.

Well they play to win every game so if that ends up 19-0 great.

I agree that the 2007 team felt the pressure including Brady and BB but I think they could handle a second go around mentally.

I think they were looking for reasons why they lost. It's not like they fell apart. It was a tough, slug it out game, and they still had the lead until the last few minutes. It took a miracle catch (and no holding calls) to even put the Giants in position to win. Asante dropped an interception. Brady and Moss just missed on a 70 yard connection after they lose the lead. Etc. They may have felt the pressure, but it's not the exclusive reason that they lost.

When I'm on a win streak in competitions, I don't feel pressure. I feel exhilaration. Everyone is wired differently, I guess.

Nope still want 19-0, with Edelman and Hightower back next season, barring injuries I expect 19-0 next year, Edelman alone and we are 12-0 right now yes him alone changes everything, if he's close to 100 or near it next season, our offense will be what it would of been this year had he not tore his acl, so the team that was supposed to go break records and go 19-0 and out do '07 will be intact next season as long as the keys stay healthy
There will always be injuries to some extent. If it was Edelman this year it will be Gronk again next season or someone else. 2014 was probably the luckiest year we've had with injuries in a while.

Less than 19-0 is a massive disappointment, could at least win the Super Bowl to salvage something out of this season.
Tom & Bill, is this you???

After 2007 I never wish for an undefeated season. It just builds up too much unnecessary pressure on a football team. Of course it would be amazing but to me it's not realistic. Football is a weird game and so many things have to fall right to make that happen.

I think it's really more of a fun fan thing anyway, players care about championships and playoff games more than worrying about a perfect season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST