PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good article about Hightower and his improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marinlik

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
An interview with Hightower where he talks about some of the problems last year(trying to play like Mayo) and his improvement.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...nto-his-own/QByHr9Fzj4H8eFZs0jeoKP/story.html

I was a bit low on Hightower before. I never thought he sucked, like some here. Always thought he was like Spikes but better. But still a slower bigger kind of linebacker that was a bit outdated in the middle. But he has really come into his own this year. He's a very good tool to have on the defense. The ability to cover and rush the passer and play close to the line. I love the guy now!

An interview with Hightower where he talks about some of the problems last year(trying to play like Mayo) and his improvement.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/09/27/patriots-dont-hightower-coming-into-his-own/QByHr9Fzj4H8eFZs0jeoKP/story.html

I was a bit low on Hightower before. I never thought he sucked, like some here. Always thought he was like Spikes but better. But still a slower bigger kind of linebacker that was a bit outdated in the middle. But he has really come into his own this year. He's a very good tool to have on the defense. The ability to cover and rush the passer and play close to the line. I love the guy now!

I am pleased with what I have seen from Hightower this season; I think he has played like an all-pro through the first 3 weeks. I think Spikes departure helps Hightower because he is not forced into coverage as much, as bad as many feel Hightower is in coverage he was the LB equivalent of Revis compared to Spikes so he spent a lot of time covering last season.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...nto-his-own/QByHr9Fzj4H8eFZs0jeoKP/story.html

I never thought Hightower sucked. But I did question how he fit, whether he had a true position, whether he was going to be a solid but not great player, and whether his play would ever get to a level to justify exercising his 5th year option. Happy to be proven wrong on all counts so far.

I never thought Hightower sucked. But I did question how he fit, whether he had a true position, whether he was going to be a solid but not great player, and whether his play would ever get to a level to justify exercising his 5th year option. Happy to be proven wrong on all counts so far.
I was in the same camp as you. Thought he was solid, but kind of questioned his fit in our defense because of his size. But a lot of people talked like Hightower has sucked. Which I never really agreed with. People said that he was as bad as Spikes in coverage, and that I completely disagreed with. Clearly better. But still, not ideal coverage guy.

I always liked him because he's so damn strong. Always fun to see him sling players away.

He's Spikes 2.0. Decent speed and hits almost as hard. Wouldn't be surprised to see him voted to the Pro Bowl.

He's Spikes 2.0. Decent speed and hits almost as hard. Wouldn't be surprised to see him voted to the Pro Bowl.

If he plays like he played the first three games for the rest of the year, Spikes could only wish he plays like Hightower. Hightower is a far better player than Spikes.

Hightower was unfairly killed last year because he was asked to do things he isn't really built to do because Mayo went down and Collins wasn't ready to step in. I think if Mayo played the entire season last year, people would have been talking about Hightower like they were talking about Chandler Jones coming into this season - as a solid player who looks poised to possibly becoming elite.

If he plays like he played the first three games for the rest of the year, Spikes could only wish he plays like Hightower. Hightower is a far better player than Spikes.
Oh I ment he's become a better version of Spikes probably worded that wrong. He can bring the intimidation Spikes brought in the middle of the defense and more. Excited to see Hightower develop even more, love seeing him get to the QB. But, yeah you're right Spikes has never had a stretch of games like Hightower just put together.

Last edited:
Oh I ment he's become a better version of Spikes probably worded that wrong. He can bring the intimidation Spikes brought in the middle of the defense and more. Excited to see Hightower develop even more, love seeing him get to the QB.

IDK, Spikes is a hard hitting run down only LB. Hightower can do so much more, but I don't know if he can lay a smack down on a hit like Spikes, but that is all Spikes brings to the table.

IDK, Spikes is a hard hitting run down only LB. Hightower can do so much more, but I don't know if he can lay a smack down on a hit like Spikes, but that is all Spikes brings to the table.
Other than them being big I see little similarity. High does most of his work on the edge, Spikes was an in the box ILB.

Questioning is not being wrong.

Questioning is not being wrong.

I don't think my questions were unreasonable at the time. But I'm quite content with how the answers seem to be evolving.

I don't think my questions were unreasonable at the time. But I'm quite content with how the answers seem to be evolving.

I thought he was making a hell of an effort to replace the defensive
captain, while doing his best in coverage playing next to a one legged MLB. Of course i hoped he'd show something when relieved of that responsibility, but it would be crazy to say I knew that.

Glad to see he's been unleashed and the results are better than we hoped, but I thought it was pretty crazy to pass judgment on him based on the situation he found himself in. Questioning was the only rational response IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back