PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going to the game tomorrow and sitting behind Pats bench!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am super pumped for tomorrow. I had bought tickets to this game but some personal family issues had caused me to put it as a maybe. I almost never spend a lot of money, but this time it’s a business trip; my very small business of which I’m a co-owner is a partner with a large chemical company. We’ve been trying to meet up with the HR Director, who lives in Detroit, and this seemed like the perfect time. He’s a big Lions fan but has a great sense of humor and really self-deprecating he expects them to lose always, lol.

So we went all out and will be sitting at midfield I believe about 15 rows up from the Patriots bench. I’ll try to take some pictures and post my review when I get back Tuesday. Yes, I’ll be sure to stalk Josh Gordon and let you all know exactly where he stands emotionally right now...I’ll try to get him to talk to me therapy-style for at least forty minutes.

Last away game I went to was in San Diego in 2014. I was really polite but the woman next to me was visibly (and verbally) upset that she “had to sit next to a Patriots fan.” I tried to make nice small talk, asking about how long she had been a Chargers fan, etc, but she wasn’t having any of it. She was obnoxious and rubbing it in when the Chargers were ahead, something like 10-0. After Edelman broke that tackle at midfield and took it to the house to put the game away, I turned to her and smirked. Then my wife said to her in a really ditzy, legally blonde style voice: “oh wow, what happened? the Patriots beat the Chargers again? oh my god, like totally!!” The lady literally stormed out and didn’t return. Her seat was ideal for putting our jackets on. Ha ha!
Well did you have a good time, get any good pics?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
@Ian I hope this post was not one of the ones that was gloating after the loss. I was just trying to be honest about being at the game and my thoughts, which have contained some doubts since the offseason. As I said, I’d love to eat my words and look foolish. I am just concerned about the talent level. On the other hand, I’m not knocking the players or coaching much. I’ve been saying bad drafts are going to catch up very soon. Feel free to delete my post or let me know (PM) if you think this is a little over the line, and if so, my apologies. I wrote it soon after getting back to my hotel and was pretty bummed about that game.
Posting it in a reply (and being fair) is one thing, starting a thread gleefully gloating about it is a different story.

I didn’t see @Star56 unfortunately. The corporate guys who we took to the game wanted to go to a bar first so arrived just after kickoff. Thought it would be rude to walk around looking for people st that point.

Lots of Patriots fans there as usual. I couldn’t tell if it’s just because they had everything to be happy about, but Lions fans were incredibly cool the whole time. Even before the game started they were polite...they are a fan base who has their own hated rivals and are way more concerned about their own team (who they are self-deprecating about - one guy was saying how mad he was that the Browns took away their 0-16 “record”....lol.) This wasn’t like my experience at some other road stadiums where you just have some obsessed, insecure haters. Lots of Michigan #10 jerseys, which was awesome to see.

Thoughts from my business partner Lions fan who likes the Pats okay because of the Brady Michigan connection: Brady is showing his age. I disagree with that assessment, but if wasn’t following the team closely and saw that game I would think the same thing. The problem was mainly that he has zero trust in his receivers and every play is totally telegraphed. I really called out almost every play they ran before they ran it (run-pass-playaction.). That’s not a good thing. I think there was one play when they had both Burkhead and White in the backfield, which got me excited and worked. They didn’t run it again. I think you should just put guys on the field who can do damage. With Gronkowski-Hogan-White-Burkhead-Dorsett, that’s a tougher group to defend. I don’t see the point of putting Patterson out there so often. Michel is not a great pass catching back right now, so I think he was overused and tipped their plays. Also, why do they never split Gronkowski out wide anymore? I think his routes are predictable. The offense is really lacking creativity. Granted their is personnel issues there, but a good coordinator should “win” 5-10 plays a game on a scheme alone with some misdirection, isolation, etc. It’s like they wanted to play right into the teeth of the Lions defense all game. Just bizarre.

Last edited:
I didn’t see @Star56 unfortunately. The corporate guys who we took to the game wanted to go to a bar first so arrived just after kickoff. Thought it would be rude to walk around looking for people st that point.

Lots of Patriots fans there as usual. I couldn’t tell if it’s just because they had everything to be happy about, but Lions fans were incredibly cool the whole time. Even before the game started they were polite...they are a fan base who has their own hated rivals and are way more concerned about their own team (who they are self-deprecating about - one guy was saying how mad he was that the Browns took away their 0-16 “record”....lol.) This wasn’t like my experience at some other road stadiums where you just have some obsessed, insecure haters.

Thoughts from my business partner Lions fan who likes the Pats okay because of the Brady MU connection: Brady is showing his age. I disagree with that assessment, but if wasn’t following the team closely and saw that game I would think the same thing. The problem was mainly that he has zero trust in his receivers and every play is totally telegraphed. I really called out almost every play they ran before they ran it (run-pass-playaction.). That’s not a good thing. I think there was one play when they had both Burkhead and White in the backfield, which got me excited and worked. They didn’t run it again. I think you should just put guys on the field who can do damage. With Gronkowski-Hogan-White-Burkhead-Dorsett, that’s a tougher group to defend. I don’t see the point of putting Patterson out there so often. Michel is not a great pass catching back right now, so I think he was overused and tipped their plays. Also, why do they never split Gronkowski out wide anymore? I think his routes are predictable. The offense is really lacking creativity. Granted their is personnel issues there, but a good coordinator should “win” 5-10 plays a game on a scheme alone with some misdirection, isolation, etc. It’s like they wanted to play right into the teeth of the Lions defense all game. Just bizarre.

Lions will almost certainly bite the bag this year. That’s why I find it a bitter loss

Lions will almost certainly bite the bag this year. That’s why I find it a bitter loss

It’s hard to tell since every team is Jeckyll and Hyde right now, but I did not leave this game thinking we just lost to a good team. They executed well and I don’t want to sound like a sore loser...it just seemed like everything was way, way too easy for them, which they shouldn’t expect to happen often.

Also, I did see Belichick do his animated coaching minute with the defense, where he pep talks them and points out what they need to improve on, but overall definitely a lack of energy from the Pats bench. Of course, it’s hard to get “pumped up” when you get outgained like 230-70 in the first half.

I can’t emphasize enough that I don’t think the problem is lack of effort, dysfunction, drama, Brady’s age, or any variety of “hot take” angles. The problem is a roster that simply lacks a lot of punch. The Patriots have made SEVEN straight AFC Championship games and EIGHT straight byes. What they’ve done for so long is virtually impossible. I think we should just accept this is a down year in terms of talent. Now, could they build some kind of new identity, rise from the ashes, become greater than the sum of their parts? Yes. We’ve already seen this happen many times, and I’m not counting them out. Or it just may be a year where the problems are too overwhelming to fix (2002, 2005, 2009) and a home run draft is the only answer. They’re still the Patriots as long as the two big guys are there.

And just so everyone understands why I’m not completely pessimistic, I see this team a lot like 2009. A lot of guys from their core team were aging quickly, the talent and depth wasn’t there, and they lacked young talent. It all changed incredibly quickly, though, when they smashed the 2010 draft out of the park. In one year they went from having an aging, thin roster to a really exciting young nucleus. This could certainly happen again, and they are due to hit on some of these draft picks eventually, right?

Last edited:
Also, I did see Belichick do his animated coaching minute with the defense, where he pep talks them and points out what they need to improve on, but overall definitely a lack of energy from the Pats bench. Of course, it’s hard to get “pumped up” when you get outgained like 230-70 in the first half.

I can’t emphasize enough that I don’t think the problem is lack of effort, dysfunction, drama, Brady’s age, or any variety of “hot take” angles. The problem is a roster that simply lacks a lot of punch. The Patriots have made SEVEN straight AFC Championship games and EIGHT straight byes. What they’ve done for so long is virtually impossible. I think we should just accept this is a down year in terms of talent. Now, could they build some kind of new identity, rise from the ashes, become greater than the sum of their parts? Yes. We’ve already seen this happen many times, and I’m not counting them out. Or it just may be a year where the problems are too overwhelming to fix (2002, 2005, 2009) and a home run draft is the only answer. They’re still the Patriots as long as the two big guys are there.

And just so everyone understands why I’m not completely pessimistic, I see this team a lot like 2009. A lot of guys from their core team were aging quickly, the talent and depth wasn’t there, and they lacked young talent. It all changed incredibly quickly, though, when they smashed the 2010 draft out of the park. In one year they went from having an aging, thin roster to a really exciting young nucleus. This could certainly happen again, and they are due to hit on some of these draft picks eventually, right?

This is not an agree or disagree but I was watching the All 22 and think they have the same problem as they did last season which is making too many mistakes on defense. To me it looks like guys are playing out of position or missing assignments.

The offense will hopefully get back on track with the return of Jules and maybe Gordon can pitch in as well.

Anyway I think it's correctable with the personnel they have on the roster.

I'll post some video tomorrow night of what I'm seeing in the rewatch thread.

This is not an agree or disagree but I was watching the All 22 and think they have the same problem as they did last season which is making too many mistakes on defense. To me it looks like guys are playing out of position or missing assignments.

The offense will hopefully get back on track with the return of Jules and maybe Gordon can pitch in as well.

Anyway I think it's correctable with the personnel they have on the roster.

I'll post some video tomorrow night of what I'm seeing in the rewatch thread.

I’m glad you think that. Your football knowledge is well above mine. On defense, I just see a lot of guys who seem like fringe players and make the assumption that poor results are inevitable, which may not be correct. I just don’t see many guys capable of making a real impact. Perhaps you are seeing these players are more capable than what I’m projecting. And that would be great.

I’m sure the offense and defense will not be as putrid as what we saw on Sunday, that’s for sure. I just question if it’s even possible for the defense to really be at a championship contending level, or even close to average, with these players...offense has Brady so nothing really surprises me there.

I’ve been disappointed with McDaniels playcalling since last September. I’m not sure if they decided to stop using Gronk as an outside receiver due to injury concerns, but overall there seems to be almost no creativity. As I referenced earlier, I’d like to see McDaniels use the best offensive players often, which right now includes both White and Burkhead. If that means putting me them in the field together, then so be it. The Falcons used that dual RB attack to perfection a couple of years ago. I feel like Josh is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. They’re not adapting to their strengths but instead trying to fit their weaker players into the offense, but the matchups are not in their favor. I think Brady is very much onto this problem and that’s why you saw what happened Sunday.

I’m glad you think that. Your football knowledge is well above mine. On defense, I just see a lot of guys who seem like fringe players and make the assumption that poor results are inevitable, which may not be correct. I just don’t see many guys capable of making a real impact. Perhaps you are seeing these players are more capable than what I’m projecting. And that would be great.

I’m sure the offense and defense will not be as putrid as what we saw on Sunday, that’s for sure. I just question if it’s even possible for the defense to really be at a championship contending level, or even close to average, with these players...offense has Brady so nothing really surprises me there.

I’ve been disappointed with McDaniels playcalling since last September. I’m not sure if they decided to stop using Gronk as an outside receiver due to injury concerns, but overall there seems to be almost no creativity. As I referenced earlier, I’d like to see McDaniels use the best offensive players often, which right now includes both White and Burkhead. If that means putting me them in the field together, then so be it. The Falcons used that dual RB attack to perfection a couple of years ago. I feel like Josh is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. They’re not adapting to their strengths but instead trying to fit their weaker players into the offense, but the matchups are not in their favor. I think Brady is very much onto this problem and that’s why you saw what happened Sunday.

My football knowledge isn't great so take my opinion fwiw. I'm seeing the same things on offense as well. Miscommunications etc...

They say the first four weeks of the season is really an extended preseason. I think I understand why. During TC's and the preseason games teams are basically auditioning players to see which 53 to pick for their roster. Some continuity is gained between players but for the most part every player is playing to make the team. So it takes time to get on the same page schematically.

Those first four weeks are an advantage for teams that have "stud" players and basic schemes. Later as the season goes on BB and the coaching staff gather more film on teams to scheme against and the players begin to get on the same page with each other schematically. It just takes time.

Anyway I'll be posting both offensive and defensive series in the rewatch thread. If there's on series of downs you'd like to analyze let me know.

Last edited:
Hope you had a great time. I took my wife and kids to the opener in Foxboro. Sat in section 110, Rows 4 and 16, and had a wonderful experience. I felt like I was at my son's HS Football game...somehow the Wide Angle lens for TV distorts the proportions on the field so that the players, even in closeup, look smaller in relation to the playing surface. I was amazed by the intimacy...sort of like field level seats at Fenway along the First Base line...you might as well be in the batter's box...in this case, standing behind the bench.

FWIW, I haven't given up by any means on this team. Brady, to my amateur eyes, is still Brady. I'll let you know what I really think about the 2018 season a week from Thursday after two games in 11 days. If they're 3--2, I'll be feeling fine. If they're 2--3 (or worse)...well, that will be another matter.

Otherwise, in a highly original turn of phrase, "We're on to Miami...and Indy."

It us different watching a game on TV vs being at the game. More perspective watching at the game. My friend from Maine was visiting his father and sister in Detroit so he went to the game. He said Detroit played a fair game but the Pats were so bad that Detroit looked like a playoff team.

It’s a fair assumption that we will eventually hit on some picks. I also believe they turn this into a winning season somehow

It’s a fair assumption that we will eventually hit on some picks. I also believe they turn this into a winning season somehow

I think they’ll finish over .500 too. They’ve just been so dominant for so long that it’s going to be a real fight each week.

Hope you had a great time. I took my wife and kids to the opener in Foxboro. Sat in section 110, Rows 4 and 16, and had a wonderful experience. I felt like I was at my son's HS Football game...somehow the Wide Angle lens for TV distorts the proportions on the field so that the players, even in closeup, look smaller in relation to the playing surface. I was amazed by the intimacy...sort of like field level seats at Fenway along the First Base line...you might as well be in the batter's box...in this case, standing behind the bench.

FWIW, I haven't given up by any means on this team. Brady, to my amateur eyes, is still Brady. I'll let you know what I really think about the 2018 season a week from Thursday after two games in 11 days. If they're 3--2, I'll be feeling fine. If they're 2--3 (or worse)...well, that will be another matter.

Otherwise, in a highly original turn of phrase, "We're on to Miami...and Indy."

I agree with you. The field looks so small compared to on television. Watching the game live you appreciate the QB position more. There isn’t as much space between receivers and defenders as it appears on the broadcast. I think it also gives perspective on why the running game has become more of a complement to an offense than previously in the NFL’s history. The linemen are so big that there are rarely the types of holes to run through like in the 80s and 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back