PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going to the game tomorrow and sitting behind Pats bench!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instant Review: They were probably worse live than they looked on TV. This team has a huge challenge. They lack talent in a variety of areas. Hightower appears right now to be a shell of himself.

Instant Review: They were probably worse live than they looked on TV. This team has a huge challenge. They lack talent in a variety of areas. Hightower appears right now to be a shell of himself.
What did it look like on the sideline? Did they seem as flat and checked out as it seemed on the field?

Why didn't you tell them to leave Sony Michel in the locker room at halftime?

I hate to tell people I told you so but I told you so. Coming up with virtually zero returns on 3-4 consecutive drafts is not a sustainable formula for success in the modern salary cap NFL. I don’t care how good the coaching or several superstar players are. This tailspin has been a long time coming. I sense players are frustrated because they are doing their jobs, but they just aren’t very good. I would be thrilled if the Pats surprised me and made me eat my words.

I was not this pessimistic at all after some other notable losses (KC in 2014, Cleveland in 2010.). In those games they had talented groups that played poorly. This is a very untalented group whose core players are aging with virtually no emerging young players. The only way to fix it is to hit big on a draft or two, which has always been the real secret sauce to their success. They’ll get a few players back but that’s not going to make up this gap. I’m not saying they’ll go 3-13, but winning the division may be a big challenge this season. Welcome to the normal life of an NFL fan.

I hate to tell people I told you so but I told you so. Coming up with virtually zero returns on 3-4 consecutive drafts is not a sustainable formula for success in the modern salary cap NFL. I don’t care how good the coaching or several superstar players are. This tailspin has been a long time coming. I sense players are frustrated because they are doing their jobs, but they just aren’t very good. I would be thrilled if the Pats surprised me and made me eat my words.

I was not this pessimistic at all after some other notable losses (KC in 2014, Cleveland in 2010.). In those games they had talented groups that played poorly. This is a very untalented group whose core players are aging with virtually no emerging young players. The only way to fix it is to hit big on a draft or two, which has always been the real secret sauce to their success. They’ll get a few players back but that’s not going to make up this gap. I’m not saying they’ll go 3-13, but winning the division may be a big challenge this season. Welcome to the normal life of an NFL fan.
Mostly because of BB and Brady this team has miraculously managed to avoid the league's cyclical nature and enjoy sustained success for a long time. But you're right, you just can't keep bleeding talent without replacing it. Continually drafting late doesn't help.

Mostly because of BB and Brady this team has miraculously managed to avoid the league's cyclical nature and enjoy sustained success for a long time. But you're right, you just can't keep bleeding talent without replacing it. Continually drafting late doesn't help.

They’ve been drafting late for almost 2 decades.

That’s not the problem. Bills approach to affordable, value players isn’t paying off like it used to. He’s not hitting on FA’s, or draft picks. Talent is leaving, and none is coming in.

And you can’t blame players in the NFL. Why would you go to NE and their no nonsense, hard work culture when the Eagles just proved you can be on a fun loving Team and win Super Bowls.

They’ve been drafting late for almost 2 decades.

That’s not the problem.
It's not THE problem, but definitely is part of the problem -- especially when the few early-round draft picks you actually do take don't pan out, get injured or are let go for whatever reason. A lot of fast attrition in that area of player acquisition has occurred the last few years especially. It takes a toll.

What did it look like on the sideline? Did they seem as flat and checked out as it seemed on the field?

Bill looked despondant to me. I watched him carefully during the 3rd and 4th qtr. He was standing alone 90% of the time. No energy or enthusiasm you sometimes see when he is interacting with the players. He was no longer looking at printouts of formations and plays like he was the first half. I felt bad for the guy.

Bill looked despondant to me. I watched him carefully during the 3rd and 4th qtr. He was standing alone 90% of the time. No energy or enthusiasm you sometimes see when he is interacting with the players. He was no longer looking at printouts of formations and plays like he was the first half. I felt bad for the guy.

No formations or plays to come up with when you know the players don’t have the ability. I think he thought 54 would come back to be the QB of the defense, not the worst player.

r.e.l.a.x.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian

@Ian I hope this post was not one of the ones that was gloating after the loss. I was just trying to be honest about being at the game and my thoughts, which have contained some doubts since the offseason. As I said, I’d love to eat my words and look foolish. I am just concerned about the talent level. On the other hand, I’m not knocking the players or coaching much. I’ve been saying bad drafts are going to catch up very soon. Feel free to delete my post or let me know (PM) if you think this is a little over the line, and if so, my apologies. I wrote it soon after getting back to my hotel and was pretty bummed about that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back