PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goal to Go scenario at the end of the game

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been talked about at length, but I think the Pats played the game ending goal to go scenario perfectly on offense.
They ran the ball on each play to milk the clock and then kicked an easy field goal with 20 seconds left.

In my travels after the game I was surprised that the talk show hosts didn’t like that call and felt they took the game out of Mac Jones’s hands. The fact that they didn’t go for a td shows they are still coddling him.

I was perplexed by this take i like the pats being up by 3 with 15 seconds left and the Texans having no timeouts as opposed to the pats being up by 7 and the Texans having 1:52 left and 1 timeout.

in fact, the pats almost screwed up by scoring the td and I fully expected the Texans to decline the penalty. At least the penalty gave them another chance to get it right

No need to nitpick that drive, they won, ignore the talk show guys. It was a gutsy win. Texans gave it away up 22-9 and punted into their own guy. Very ugly win but good for Mac

Last edited:
They did manage that situation perfectly. Also great call by the staff to use the timeouts on defense before the half, that led to 3 points for us.

Did anyone else think the Texans should have declined the penalty and allow the pats touchdown?

I honestly thought they were going to. While it would have been smart I understand the optics would have looked bad.

Did anyone else think the Texans should have declined the penalty and allow the pats touchdown?

I honestly thought they were going to. While it would have been smart I understand the optics would have looked bad.
It was ruled no play - TD did not occur. They could have declined but the TD would not have been allowed

Sorry if this has already been talked about at length, but I think the Pats played the game ending goal to go scenario perfectly on offense.
They ran the ball on each play to milk the clock and then kicked an easy field goal with 20 seconds left.

In my travels after the game I was surprised that the talk show hosts didn’t like that call and felt they took the game out of Mac Jones’s hands. The fact that they didn’t go for a td shows they are still coddling him.

I was perplexed by this take i like the pats being up by 3 with 15 seconds left and the Texans having no timeouts as opposed to the pats being up by 7 and the Texans having 1:52 left and 1 timeout.

in fact, the pats almost screwed up by scoring the td and I fully expected the Texans to decline the penalty. At least the penalty gave them another chance to get it right
Absolutely agree. Was in the gameday chat and there were jackwagons in there with the same take. They were doing exactly the right thing, running plays until the clock runs down and by the way, that 3rd down run? Don't try TOO hard :)

Then the FG at the last second, leave them nothing to work with.

I wouldn't bother, any discussion with this guy goes into some strange hole of JMD is the worst OC in the league, the Pats can't draft and BB is a fraud
It's tiresome. They've got this little club, this time once they all got kicked out of the GDT they gathered in the chat to root against winning so they can complain about losing. They WANT us to lose so they can complain. Then they're praying and hoping to be right about something that Josh MacDaniels was wrong about (or BB, or Steve Belichick, or whoever they think they're "smarter" than at that moment,) so they can be the big brainiacs who should be listened to more often. Christ on a crutch, it's like munchausen's by proxy, only they don't have any means to actually harm the victim, they just talk **** about them and hope for the worst then turn that into being the center of attention.

It was ruled no play - TD did not occur. They could have declined but the TD would not have been allowed
Is that true though. I thought it was ruled 'illegal formation' and not 'false start'. I know a false start is essentially a 'non play' where the team doesn't have the ability to accept or decline, but I'm pretty sure they do with an illegal formation.

soon as they start letting mac throw in the redzone instead of running for 1 yard repeatedly the better off this team will be.

Mac's had some money throws to the TE's in the redzone.

There are not many times when the right call is "let them score". About the only time I can think that it was done for the right reason was the safety in Denver. A coach has to let their D stop the other team. A turnover can happen any time.

Can you imagine if the Patriots had let Marshawn Lynch walk into the end zone at the end of the Super Bowl? :)

Please delete the preceding post! Too horrible to contemplate!!!

Is that true though. I thought it was ruled 'illegal formation' and not 'false start'. I know a false start is essentially a 'non play' where the team doesn't have the ability to accept or decline, but I'm pretty sure they do with an illegal formation.
I am not sure of the rule, but that apparently was the explanation given to a reporter yesterday (can’t remember who) who asked about it

It's tiresome. They've got this little club, this time once they all got kicked out of the GDT they gathered in the chat to root against winning so they can complain about losing. They WANT us to lose so they can complain. Then they're praying and hoping to be right about something that Josh MacDaniels was wrong about (or BB, or Steve Belichick, or whoever they think they're "smarter" than at that moment,) so they can be the big brainiacs who should be listened to more often. Christ on a crutch, it's like munchausen's by proxy, only they don't have any means to actually harm the victim, they just talk **** about them and hope for the worst then turn that into being the center of attention.
they annoyed the piss out of me yesterday in chat ... and it wasnt even as bad as it can get

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back