PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glad Edelman is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

50-yard-line

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
And give the kids a chance!

From today's Globe article (even Volin isn't always a jerk, I guess): Brandon Browner, Brandon LaFell seen as good fits with Patriots - Sports - The Boston Globe

“His [Edelman's] understanding of football, where he is now as a player compared to where he was as a rookie, really resonated with me,” [San Fransisco 49er head coach Jim] Harbaugh said. “Just how tough it is going from college to pro, trying to now defeat press coverage, to then get back to where your spot is, where you’re supposed to be in the route, then thinking about catching the football, and just how difficult it is, and that understanding and putting it all together doesn’t really happen until year three or four.

“It was very enlightening to me. I never had it explained so clearly to me as the way he did it.”​

Explains why receivers need time to develop in the NFL and in a new system (with a new QB). Pretty clear why Brady is who he is, too - he's concerned with where the receiver is supposed to be, not where the receiver necessarily IS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edelman has a bit of a Vrabel story -- smart, versatile, slow to develop in the pros, good sense of humor.

I'm curious to see whether he evolves into an outstanding locker-room leader as well.

And give the kids a chance!

From today's Globe article (even Volin isn't always a jerk, I guess): Brandon Browner, Brandon LaFell seen as good fits with Patriots - Sports - The Boston Globe

“His [Edelman's] understanding of football, where he is now as a player compared to where he was as a rookie, really resonated with me,” [San Frans' Jim] Harbaugh said. “Just how tough it is going from college to pro, trying to now defeat press coverage, to then get back to where your spot is, where you’re supposed to be in the route, then thinking about catching the football, and just how difficult it is, and that understanding and putting it all together doesn’t really happen until year three or four.

“It was very enlightening to me. I never had it explained so clearly to me as the way he did it.”

Explains why receivers need time to develop in the NFL and in a new system (with a new QB). Pretty clear why Brady is who he is, too - he's concerned with where the receiver is supposed to be, not where the receiver necessarily IS.

One thing to keep in mind about Edelman is he was a college QB so his development as a pro may appear slower than others but essentially last season would have been equal the rookie season of a WR who played WR for four years at college.

It always amazes me how some fans cannot comprehend exactly HOW much of a "project" Edelman has been. What he had to do, coming in as a Kent State QB to play NFL WR and PR (and slot CB) was like having to learn three languages fluently. The kid has made an incredible achievement and now has the know-how. His next 4 years will completely run laps around Welker's.

The other area of Volin's article that impressed me was the part where Ron Rivera comments about Lafell:

"“Very intelligent football player. He really is,” said Rivera. “He’ll know all the wide receiver positions for you guys. He played all of our wide receiver positions, plus he knew the tight end position.

“If we ever got in a situation in a passing down where something happened to Greg Olsen, he could go in and play the Y for us, which meant he either had to block, check-release, or go into routes immediately, so he’s a very smart guy.”

Rivera also raved about LaFell’s physicality and willingness to block. LaFell is coming from a run-first offense in Carolina, and knows how to stick his nose into the run game.

“I love his tenacity,” Rivera said. “He’s a want-to blocker: He won’t block because he has to, he’ll block because he wants to, and I think that’s impressive.”

The SB's were won in 2001, 2003 and 2004 without the "beast" WR that some of the fans want drafted in the 1st round. They were won with smart, savvy WR's who knew how to get open and be in the right place.What impressed me about all 3 of those 2013 rookie WR's was that they were consistently getting open and getting to the right place. If they can work on their hands, this will be a very very good WR corps.

Let's get a TE in the 1st or 2nd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid moves so far.

Let's see what is going to happen at the RB position.

Solid moves so far.

Let's see what is going to happen at the RB position.

Hopefully, retain Blount at a low cap.

Really, folks - - TE -S-DE/OLB-OL are the priorities.

Hopefully, retain Blount at a low cap.

Really, folks - - TE -S-DE/OLB-OL are the priorities.

Agree, except for S...and if Wilfork's not back, I want Pat Sims.

I think we're okay in the defensive backfield. And I'm thrilled that Wilson is pissed off!

Draft, first 2 picks...2 of:

Amaro/ASJ/Niklas

Hageman/Easley

Martin, Bitonio/Su'a'Filo/Swanson

Edelman, Dobson, LaFell, is a decent unit.

Amendola if healthy can be a good WR too.

Boyce could break out. He has a lot of speed and agility.

Gronk when healthy is unstoppable. Too bad he hasn't been healthy though.

Adding a 1b TE as insurance policy should be the main priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back