PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Givens had surgery - will miss "several weeks"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some kind of Pats Alumni jinx going around?

Vinatieri has back and ankle issues
Givens hurt his hand
McGinest has been in and out all season

Deon's the only one that's been health

The thing that pisses me off is that our Compensatory picks for Vinatieri and Givens are pegged (in part) on how many games they start for their new teams. They better get back in there and produce for us, the slackers.

satz said:
NFL is a business and a player get 1 shot of making money in it before he is carted off.I am still suprised all the people who hate a person who made was lucky enough to get his money .
Kindly go back and re-read all the posts above yours, or have someone read them to you. Nowhere does anyone express hatred for Givens. We are laughing at the Titans for paying him all that money.

Some of us do wonder if he still thinks he made the right choice. He could have made many millions with the Pats and been a part of something great. Instead he opted to go for moremoney.

It is his right, of course. If having 25 million and being on a lousy teamis more important to him that 20 million and being on a good team, that is his business. But if he isn'thappy there, what the heck is the good of having 25 million dollars if you aren't happy?

Some folks do "keep score" with money, and that is their business. But I reserve the right think that merely piling up a bank account is a poor way to keep score.

satz said:
NFL is a business and a player get 1 shot of making money in it before he is carted off.I am still suprised all the people who hate a person who made was lucky enough to get his money .

he was making a low draft salary the day from the day of the draft and probabily made 100times more on that 1 day when he signed.If someone comes and gives you cash equal to 100times what you made in the last 5 yrs i would love to see what you would do?.

It's not so cut and dry. If you do the math, a 5 year contract at $5 mill per is worthless if you get cut after the 3rd year. You will have made $8 million bonus plus salary which is typically lower early on. So do the math: 5 years at $5 per = $25 million - $8 signing bonus. The salary averages $3.5 a year. Let's say he gets $3 in his first three years and $4.5 in his last two.

Add up the total: $17 million.

Now, let's say he signed in New England for $4 mill per instead of $5 mill per. Let's say he played with Brady in that time, won another Super Bowl, and was still highly valuable to the team. In other words, he stuck it out all five years. In New England he makes $20m. Granted, he probably signs on with another team for the vet minimum in years 4 or 5 (although this isn't a guarantee), and he makes another million.

In the end, it's quite possible that he might've made MORE money in New England even at a lower pay rate. Look at Tedy Bruschi. It looks like he'll be around for a while making an average and decent NFL salary. He has longevity here. If he had cashed out on a big contract and then been cut, who knows what might have happened to him.

brady2brown said:
If having 25 million and being on a lousy teamis more important to him that 20 million and being on a good team, that is his business. But if he isn'thappy there, what the heck is the good of having 25 million dollars if you aren't happy?

Some folks do "keep score" with money, and that is their business. But I reserve the right think that merely piling up a bank account is a poor way to keep score.

Dead right! :rocker:

upstater1 said:
It's not so cut and dry. If you do the math, a 5 year contract at $5 mill per is worthless if you get cut after the 3rd year. You will have made $8 million bonus plus salary which is typically lower early on. So do the math: 5 years at $5 per = $25 million - $8 signing bonus. The salary averages $3.5 a year. Let's say he gets $3 in his first three years and $4.5 in his last two.

Add up the total: $17 million.

Now, let's say he signed in New England for $4 mill per instead of $5 mill per. Let's say he played with Brady in that time, won another Super Bowl, and was still highly valuable to the team. In other words, he stuck it out all five years. In New England he makes $20m. Granted, he probably signs on with another team for the vet minimum in years 4 or 5 (although this isn't a guarantee), and he makes another million.

In the end, it's quite possible that he might've made MORE money in New England even at a lower pay rate. Look at Tedy Bruschi. It looks like he'll be around for a while making an average and decent NFL salary. He has longevity here. If he had cashed out on a big contract and then been cut, who knows what might have happened to him.

Yes, it's possible. But your hypothetical 20M has probably only 50/50 likelihood of happening. Too many things can go wrong: age, injury, just a feeling by the coaching staff that they should draft a guy who they can count on cheaply for 4 or 5 years rather than the 2 left on your contract. But the 17M you call "worthless" has a much higher chance of happening since teams are hesitant to cut you earlier and admit a mistake.

By the way, the "alumni jinx" injries make those players look even smarter to have taken the money while they could.

i can't complain about players taking significantly bigger money elsewhere. Deion is a different case since he broke his contract to do so.

****. TO had pins and a plate in his friggen hand and played a great game

rookBoston said:
Is there some kind of Pats Alumni jinx going around?

Vinatieri has back and ankle issues
Givens hurt his hand
McGinest has been in and out all season

Deon's the only one that's been health

The thing that pisses me off is that our Compensatory picks for Vinatieri and Givens are pegged (in part) on how many games they start for their new teams. They better get back in there and produce for us, the slackers.

I am also under the impression that the formula for comp picks is based on salary and production. The injuries to these players are adversely affecting our draft.

RayClay said:
I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm not that sorry, but I'm sorry.

LOL so true

RayClay said:
I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm not that sorry, but I'm sorry.

Well put Ray! Of all the high profile ex-pats that left this season, David was the classiest. It was about the money, no bones about it, but he never made comments that it was other wise or any negative comments. I'd be happy to see my 87 back again in the future.

Patjew said:
I wish him a speedy recovery. He busted his ass here and made many clutch plays.

Except for that drop against Denver last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes