PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore traded to Carolina

No they aren’t. They are facts that illustrate how close or far away from winning a team is, thereby indicating where the team may be headed.
Losing on a missed FG to the defending SB champs and losing 35-0 to a scrub team are not the same thing. They equal the same thing in the standings but indicate very different teams and trajectories.

Critical thinking is not excuse making.
Go ahead and ignore Brown dropping a TD making the Pats have to go the length of the field to win. Had the Pats won, Bucs fans are saying “If Brown only caught that TD”.

The O line is a disaster and is getting Mac killed.

The team is not going anywhere this with a rookie QB with a terrible O line.

The part that makes me go "Huh" is when reportedly he's playing for his contract

Why not here?

You can only play who is on your schedule.
The saints have a good d btw.

Do you really think that the offense is not going to improve from where they were the first 4 games of a rookie QBs career?
How would I know what the offense is going to do? As I said, they still have some very good defenses to play yet. If there was a game of unleash the points it would have been against Tampa, they have no secondary at this point. Was surprised they could only muster 18. Saints Defense is average I saw Mr Ghosts rip it up.

So that's the answer.

Again, we are where we are because of decisions from the past. If you back up one hour, you can say “well, it’s a good decision to accept a 6th round pick instead of nothing.” If you back up two hours, it’s a good decision to part ways with a guy who doesn’t want to play here and costs money. This isn’t about what’s the best move today but looking at the big picture.

In 2020, the year of “the rebuild” there were numerous reports that Gilmore was on the trading block in March. The Patriots held out for their asking price rather than taking the best offer. As they also signed McCourty and Thuney, it’s clear they thought they were contenders. Many here saw that as delusional going with Stidham/Newton and continually made the point that, if they’re moving on from Brady, at least do a real rebuild and cash in vets for draft comp. Midway through the season, they still didn’t trade Gilmore at the trade deadline for the same reason. They didn’t take best offer. Yet not long after, Belichick gave his excuse list about how the 2020 team was so cash strapped they couldn’t realistically compete.
I get all that. Wasn't what I was asking. Did they know he'd get hurt last year? Did they know Newton would suck? What were they offered before the season? There are a lot of moving parts here.

This offseason, same idea. In March, loading up in players to fill holes with full intent of competing for a championship. Same critics saying they should trade Gilmore because still far away from contending.

Now…we are here. A sixth round pick in 2023.
Should they have brought back Hightower this year?

The fact that the vast majority of their decisions since 2018 leads to fans needing to take sides in finger pointing, told-ya-sos, excuses, and blame slicing, should in itself make the answer self-evident.

Skipped it on the most part but i bet this thread is an instant classic!

Starts with outrage why they couldn't get at least low round pick - ends with outrage they got a low round pick..
The complaining early in the day about not getting at least a low pick as if it'd make a big whoop of difference was pure comedy.

Huh? They lost some close games that they could have won which implies they aren’t far off.
That’s not a sinking ship.
There are no football gods.
Pats haven't gone 0-3 at home since 1993 but everything is fine. Got it.

Pats haven't gone 0-3 at home since 1993 but everything is fine. Got it.
Man has it been that long? Worse then that, having 3 of the first 4 games at home is supposed to be when you take care of business becuase you have road games later to deal with.

Should they have brought back Hightower this year?

It depends if he had trade value. My guess is he didn’t. It was a good contract with him overall and Covid did affect this one since his opt-out made him a year older than expected.

Go ahead and ignore Brown dropping a TD making the Pats have to go the length of the field to win. Had the Pats won, Bucs fans are saying “If Brown only caught that TD”.

The O line is a disaster and is getting Mac killed.

The team is not going anywhere this with a rookie QB with a terrible O line.
Andy always seems to think the "only one play different and we win" thing only applies to us.

The fact that the vast majority of their decisions since 2018 leads to fans needing to take sides in finger pointing, told-ya-sos, excuses, and blame slicing, should in itself make the answer self-evident.
Fans on a message board are not indicative to the fan base writ large.

you want more?
Keep ‘em coming. You should provide names though. I think it’s hilarious that I’ve ruffled so many feathers that 60 year old men are having PM conversations about me.

No they aren’t. They are facts that illustrate how close or far away from winning a team is, thereby indicating where the team may be headed.
Losing on a missed FG to the defending SB champs and losing 35-0 to a scrub team are not the same thing. They equal the same thing in the standings but indicate very different teams and trajectories.

Critical thinking is not excuse making.
The Bucs would have put 30 on the board if not for 2 drops in the RZ. It works both ways

Keep ‘em coming. You should provide names though. I think it’s hilarious that I’ve ruffled so many feathers that 60 year old men are having PM conversations about me.

I don't want to out the guy who owns this place........oooops

It depends if he had trade value. My guess is he didn’t. It was a good contract with him overall and Covid did affect this one since his opt-out made him a year older than expected.
If they cut him, they would have saved almost $8 million. he's a UFA next year. Is he worth $8 million to the team this year?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back