PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore traded to Carolina

The years void in the contract (the player doesn't get paid nor does he play for the team) but the years don't void on the cap, in fact they accelerate (i.e. all hit the cap at once) when the contract gets voided. This is exactly what happened with Brady's contract and why we had so little money to spend on FA last season.
That and we paid a guard $14 million.

If a team trades for him, they still have to negotiate with him. So why wouldn't they just wait until he is a free agent and negotiate with him then?
Because if they trade for him they have exclusive rights, whereas if he goes to FA any team can negotiate with him.

Of course that comes with a cost, they have to risk not being able to close a deal with him and being stuck paying him since nothing can stop him from claiming he's injured

Jaire Alexander is 1B to Ramsey for best CB in the league. Eric Stokes has been playing well as a rookie.

Gilmore on Evans & Alexander on Godwin is advantage Packers. The move is a no brainer for them.

This doesn't make sense to me. If his quad is good now, then the Pats wouldn't be asking him to play at 75%-80%. He can't be simultaneous healthy enough to play for another team, but only 75%-80% if he plays for the Pats.

It makes perfect sense. He can play. He's been "hurt" because the Pats wouldn't pony up like 4m to keep their star CB1 happy.

Pats are going downhill. Is Bill half checked out? Whoever is day to day in the front office is terrible.

Rams, Chiefs, Cards, Bucs, and Packers should be all over this.

God I hope he ends up in KC.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: PP2
I don't know why they would deal with a bunch of void years to keep princess happy when he is gone at the end of the year.

Because what choice did they have? They are hoping that Rodgers changes his mind and begins to love playing in Green Bay again, but they know it is unlikely to happen and they will be forced to trade him next year. Hence why they might go hard after Gilmore.

It makes perfect sense. He can play. He's been "hurt" because the Pats wouldn't pony up like 4m to keep their star CB1 happy.

Pats are going downhill. Is Bill half checked out? Whoever is day to day in the front office is terrible.

Well that explanation means the agent is lying about him being asked to play at 75-80% (which seems plausible)

Kinda.

...another in hindsight move.

I do think they wanted to try and keep Thuney and with the cap space they had they thought they had a chance.

I think Owenu's development and getting Brown made the loss of Thuney easier to manage on paper. Plus it was a lot cheaper.

Obviously the move hasn't worked out. Hopefully the line can play better very soon.
They wanted to keep Thuney but it didn't work out.
They wanted to keep Gilly but it didn't work out.
Obviously, these top end players aren't willing to take discounts.
I would have let him rot on the PUP if thats the case. Let him walk at the end of the year and get a comp pick.
Pats need the money.

Last edited:
That and we paid a guard $14 million.
This year we'd do it all over again if we could, but he got more money and more years elsewhere.

Feel free to read all the OL threads on this forum for more insight.

I would have let him rot on the PUP if thats the case. Let him walk at the end of the year and get a comp pick.
That's what we were doing, but we ran out of cap space so something has to go, and it's him.

ohh ok I didn’t know it had progressed to the point where he was going to sit the whole year without a new deal
To be clear, that is an assumption on my part. I haven't heard anything solid on it, but I can't imagine they'd release him if he was going to suit up week 7 and finish out the year.

If a team trades for him, they still have to negotiate with him. So why wouldn't they just wait until he is a free agent and negotiate with him then?
fomo(fear of missing out) and losing him to another contender.

You play checkers.

We didn't need to sign 2 expensive tight ends to the 4th highest TE contracts, when we have an oc who has zero idea how to use a 2nd tight end. Last game we only used 12 personnel 20% of the snaps.

Lol, my favorite is all of the arm chair GM's in here operating on 10% of the information

As long as we still have Justin Bethel to step in should one of our corners get hurt, we will be just fine.

Just to be clear.
You believe that Sherman played well that game?
No I don't.
But to say he is garbage when he had 3 days of practice in a new system is nonsense.

You play checkers.

Nah, it makes no sense to shell out $350M in free agent contracts including $164M guaranteed, only to cheap out on your star CB1 over what is likely less than 5m. Gilmore was at 7. If the Pats ponied up 5 knowing 4 games already passed, he would be playing this Sunday. Who is in the front office, is it ziegler?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back