PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore Tests Positive - How Do they Deal With His Potential Absence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Just starting a new thread getting away from Covid and talking about how they'll handle his absence. We've seen some good things from J.C. Jackson and I was mildly impressed with what we saw from Jonathan Jones. Jackson appears to be someone they feel good about and he's obviously gotten a lot of attention.

But if they're potentially pondering moving on from Gilmore after this year, this would be a great time for Jackson to show how well he would handle being the top guy in the group against someone like the Broncos if they do move forward with this game and Gilmore's sidelined due to the virus.

Considering how well the defense performed in KC (especially against the run), a similar game plan this week should work well. Yes, we lose the 1/2 field advantage that Gilmore brings, but one of JC/JJ should be able to take away 1/3. If so, I think the D will be fine.

Heavy on the DB's, dare the Broncos to run.

Considering how well the defense performed in KC (especially against the run), a similar game plan this week should work well. Yes, we lose the 1/2 field advantage that Gilmore brings, but one of JC/JJ should be able to take away 1/3. If so, I think the D will be fine.

Heavy on the DB's, dare the Broncos to run.
I agree, although it will be interesting to get an extended look at them without Gilmore out there. The timing of this is at least not terrible given their opponent and the fact they have the bye, so hopefully Jackson takes advantage. But I'm curious to see how he responds with more of the spotlight on him.

next man up as usual...and the way this fanbase has been hounding Gilmore's play all season, perhaps it's a stroke of luck that he gets to reload after the 5 day absence.

next man up as usual...and the way this fanbase has been hounding Gilmore's play all season, perhaps it's a stroke of luck that he gets to reload after the 5 day absence.
I find it interesting that these situations tend to come up that sort of plays a small role in how they evaluate guys for the future when they're thrust into bigger roles. We've seen it a lot over the years and it's always interesting how guys who were not high profile names step into the spotlight and become impact guys. We've already seen it on that side of the ball and this situation certainly sets up an interesting opportunity for a few guys this weekend who will get additional snaps they normally wouldn't.

I agree with @Ian that it’ll be interesting to see how it goes (if it does indeed go ahead) w/o Gilmore. I’d not be surprised to see him in another jersey next year. He will still have value, but BB loves moving on before a down turn.

When I look back at the « surprising splash » it’s amazing how quickly he became a bargain. Fantastic production from this guy since arriving. I hope he plays well upon his return.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
It’s well known at this point that Jackson has had a great start to his career. The only comparison statistically in their first two seasons is Richard Sherman.

However, as you’ve said there is an unknown to his game as he’s playing his rookie contract across an all-pro. There’s not much data to go off of him vs. #1 WRs. That’s a risk when talking extension.

I don’t think we’ll learn alot if he shadows Jeudy. He’s performed vs high end WR2s in Smith-Schuster & Gallup before. Not sure the rookie is there yet. Should be a good matchup regardless though.

Last edited:
It's not ideal but Jeudy is the real deal. I love that kid so it's gonna be tough to cover him IMO without Gilmore. That being said, they don't have a ton of other talent at the offensive skill positions to be effective or threatening.

Deal with it by scoring points and that means Newton needs to play.

Cornerback is our deepest position.

do we recall m Jackson from the practice squad?

We have plenty of DB's for DEN and beyond, with or without Gilmore. Bryant wouldn't get any reps.

Jackson, McCourty, Jones
McCourty, Phillips, Duggar
Williams
Brooks

We don't need more than 8, especially against Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes