PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gillislee to Saints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

They needed some depth with Vereen going to IR.

What's the story on Gillislee and his short stay with the Pats if you don't mind me asking. He started out last season doing a pretty solid job with lots of TD's, then I read he was inactive for 7 games and all of the post-season also. Were they healthy inactives or did he have an injury? What type of runner should we expect.

What's the story on Gillislee and his short stay with the Pats if you don't mind me asking. He started out last season doing a pretty solid job with lots of TD's, then I read he was inactive for 7 games and all of the post-season also. Were they healthy inactives or did he have an injury? What type of runner should we expect.

Dion Lewis was more effective between and outside of the Oline.

Gillislee is a decent RB. Probably not your lead horse but a good backup or change of pace. Imo.

It all started during week 1 when the Pats thought Gillislee was LaGarrette Blount, lined up in obvious running formations (goal line) and got stuffed twice on 4th and 1. He was actually having a good game prior to those plays happenening. Because he wasn’t very versatile in the passing game, it was too obvious when he came into the game. Dion Lewis emerged and he became the lead back.

He’s a good player, runs decisively and has some nice power. However, he’s not a “power back” which N.E. mistakenly thought he was.

Dam did Gilly fool me I thought he was the Breakaway type. Blount is actually still better than him.

Dam did Gilly fool me I thought he was the Breakaway type. Blount is actually still better than him.
Not sure that’s terribly difficult to do :p

A lot of posters were glad Blount was moving on. Hrumph

Blount got back to back Super Rings... Chris Long too.

Short version? Dion Lewis beat him out for the feature back spot.

He's a decent runner, has ok speed and a nice first step to the hole, but doesn't break contact very well. Below average in pass-catching and pass-block.

I don't see that he gets much playing time in New Orleans, to be honest, being behind Kamara and Ingram. Ingram's actually a decent comp for Gillislee, now that I think of it. Not as fast or as powerful as Ingram, but a similar style.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope we face off in February. Good luck.

From your mouth to god's ears, that would be a great matchup...

Gillislee may be valuable to NOLA for the first 4 weeks when Ingram is suspended... after that less so..

Jambalaya

Get the champagne ready.

From your mouth to god's ears, that would be a great matchup...

It would be a fun match up. Pats and Saints fans fill up Atlanta's sphincter dome after hours of tailgating. Win or lose both teams stick around after the game to give Roger the loudest round of boos he has ever heard at the Super Bowl. Then he can once again slink off the stage.

Edit: One more thing, you guys do your best to go 4-0 against the NFC North and we'll try to do the same against the AFC North.

Last edited:
It would be a fun match up. Pats and Saints fans fill up Atlanta's sphincter dome after hours of tailgating. Win or lose both teams stick around after the game to give Roger the loudest round of boos he has ever heard at the Super Bowl. Then he can once again slink off the stage.
It's not implausible. I really like what the Saints have done with your roster these past few seasons. Taking the pressure off Brees to be that perennial 5,000 yard 30TD+ guy can only be good for his longevity and team balance.

Edit: One more thing, you guys do your best to go 4-0 against the NFC North and we'll try to do the same against the AFC North.

NOLA is near and dear to me and have had the fortune to spend a lot of time there, was at Mardi Gras after the Saints won the SB on Napolean. My family lives almost across the st. from Tipitina's, Payton and Brees got out of the limo's and the crowd went wild..my nephew is a huge NEP fan and wears his 87 and 20 jerseys proudly..

Thought you got f....ed in the whole Greg Williams thing.. without regard have a great season and few injuries.

If the blocking can open a fairly obvious hole right in front of him, Gillislee will usually scoot through it for at least the yardage required for the down-and-distance situation but not often for much more than that. If his best running lane is not obvious (to him), he usually can't find it and/or guesses wrong (not great vision). He also too often fails to follow his lead blocker through congestion at the LoS, and sometimes attempts cutbacks that are doomed from the start.

He doesn't seem to be able to generate the power, nor does he seem to have the balance or footwork, to gain much after first contact, much less break tackles. IOW, if he gets more than about 8 yards on any given carry, it's because someone on the defense seriously effed-up.

Gillislee was decent enough during the first half of the 2017 season, while the Pats were gradually increasing Lewis' workload (and while Burkhead was out for games #3-#6 with a rib injury). He gained adequate+ yardage on plays that were designed for him and well-executed by the blocking. In fact, he was among the leading RBs in terms of consistency in gaining the yardage required by the down and distance situation (success rate).

However, once Lewis hit his stride (around game #6) and Burkhead returned from injury in game #7, Gillislee became the 4th option at RB (superfluous). He was a healthy inactive during the second half of the season (after the Pats BYE) until another couple RB injuries cropped up in weeks 16 and 17.

Blount got back to back Super Rings... Chris Long too.

Thank you for reminding me.
Nothing like almost forgetting a painful memory and then having it brought back to you. You must be close friends with my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft