PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gillette Stadium moving back to Natural Grass?

The new astroturf is fine. Why mess with it? Its predictable and who gives a **** about soccer.
Well im sure you know ists about $$$$$$$$, he cant get enough.

I hope so. I love the idea of grass fields.
Are there any teams in the Northeast that have grass fields
Depends on how you define "northeast", I guess.

The National Football League stadiums that have natural grass are Arrowhead Stadium, Bank of America Stadium, EverBank Field, FedEx Field, First Energy Stadium, Heinz Field, Lambeau Field, Levi's Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, LP Field, NRG Stadium, O.com Coliseum and Qualcomm Stadium. Others include Raymond James Stadium, Soldier Field, Sports Authority Field, Sun Life Stadium and University of Phoenix Stadium.

Which NFL Stadiums Have Natural Grass?

I hope so. I love the idea of grass fields.
Are there any teams in the Northeast that have grass fields

Barfalo & the new Exit 16W swamp are both phoneyturf, but the stadia in Philadelphia, Cleveland, Pittsburg, Washington, Chicago & Green Bay are all grass.

Obviously
Barfalo & the new Exit 16W swamp are both phoneyturf, but the stadia in Philadelphia, Cleveland, Pittsburg, Washington, Chicago & Green Bay are all grass.
Obviously all of them get cold. As I said I would love a grass field. My memories of the last time we had grass was bad. As Deus said advances have been made. Bring them on I’m all for it

Obviously

Obviously all of them get cold. As I said I would love a grass field. My memories of the last time we had grass was bad. As Deus said advances have been made. Bring them on I’m all for it
They now have the ability to just roll the field in and out, so that non-game events don't damage the field

State Farm Stadium - Wikipedia.

considering it's today's NFL populated by 90% Rastafarians...I think they SHOULD go back to a natural grass playing comprised of Kentucky blue grass, perennial rye grass and Jamaican Blue Mountain sinsemilla ....play four quarters of football and then kick back after the game with a few splifs rolled out of cleat clumps...get an early start at recovering for the next game

If they get some new hybrid sod that can grow properly in the NE weather in the fall and winter, sure. But if they're just going to spraypaint the dirt green like they used to, no thanks.

I think there'd be more chance of having 2 surfaces on trays to slide in and out as suits, like in Arizona and the Tottenham stadium.

I'm not a soccer guy, so please don't take this as snark, as it's meant seriously. I thought Kraft was considered to be a lousy soccer owner who didn't really care about his team, beyond the profits.
It's complicated.

I think that at one point, the majority of Revolution fans thought that way. There was a long stretch of time when the Revs were either last or 2nd-to-last in league payroll, they practiced on fields where players would semi-regularly find rocks and broken glass, they largely operated out of a cramped corner of Gillette Stadium, and they "shared" a significant number employees with the Patriots. Basically, the Krafts operated the team as if it was something they had to do in order to be in the good graces of the US Soccer Federation, who controlled scheduling and venue locations for larger soccer events.

My understanding is that while RKK likes soccer, it's actually the next two generations of Krafts that are really passionate about the Revolution. And as a result, the club has come a long, long way over the past few years.

They've moved into their own $40 million team headquarters/practice facility down the street from the stadium, most of their employees are dedicated solely to Revolution-related activities, and they're now right around league average in terms of payroll. In the past few years, they've spent fairly large amounts of money to bring in the best dang coach in league history, and they allowed him to spend millions in transfer fees on the likes of Carles Gil, Gustavo Bou, and Adam Buksa. They also started their own reserve team, Revs II, and hired professional coaches for their youth academy as a way to supplement their player development program.

And the Krafts' investments in the Revs are starting to pay off. This is the best Revolution team I've ever seen. They're 17-4-4 with 9 games left in the regular season, and are heavy favorites to win the Supporters Shield, which is awarded to the team with the best regular season record in the league. Winning the Supporters Shield would be tremendously meaningful for a lot of long-time Revs fans, such as myself.

considering it's today's NFL populated by 90% Rastafarians...I think they SHOULD go back to a natural grass playing comprised of Kentucky blue grass, perennial rye grass and Jamaican Blue Mountain sinsemilla ....play four quarters of football and then kick back after the game with a few spliffs rolled out of cleat clumps...get an early start at recovering for the next game

Just like Phil Elliot (played by Nick Nolte) did during the opening scene of North Dallas 40, while soaking in his tub...

considering it's today's NFL populated by 90% Rastafarians...I think they SHOULD go back to a natural grass playing comprised of Kentucky blue grass, perennial rye grass and Jamaican Blue Mountain sinsemilla ....play four quarters of football and then kick back after the game with a few splifs rolled out of cleat clumps...get an early start at recovering for the next game
Get Off the Grass

1631830014651.png

Gillette Stadium has been selected as one of 11 US-based host venues for the 2026 World Cup.

Welcome back, natural grass playing surface.

Last edited:
The problem with the original grass playing surface wasn't the fact that it was used for soccer.

The problem was that the stadium was constructed in such a way that large portions of the field didn't get very much sunlight. There are ways to deal with that these days.

The problem with the original grass playing surface wasn't the fact that it was used for soccer.

The problem was that the stadium was constructed in such a way that large portions of the field didn't get very much sunlight. There are ways to deal with that these days.
How do they deal with the way ROK Architects built a quiet stadium that couldn't grow grass? ROK was based in KC.

How do they deal with the way ROK Architects built a quiet stadium that couldn't grow grass? ROK was based in KC.
MU360_SGLsystem_Lighting_1225_big.jpg

Grow lights on wheels... lmfao
I was waiting for that! Hahaha!

Gillette is FAR from the only field that gets trashed in bad weather/too much abuse, nevermind the summer concert damage, which I guess bothers soccer boys more...not that IGAS about that even the slightest bit.

If it weren't for MASSIVE GREED, this wouldn't even be discussed.
Bah, Krafty should take a ride to Fla and re-think things.

Grow lights on wheels... lmfao
I was waiting for that! Hahaha!
I know they're used in Green Bay. I know they're used in Miami. I know they're used at Safeco Field in Seattle. I know they're used in a number of MLS stadiums. I know they're used extensively at most of the larger stadiums in Europe.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be considered a legitimate solution to the sunlight issue in Foxboro.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back