PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giardi: Garoppolo "extremely disappointed" he couldn't play Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady played with a similar or more severe ac injury on multiple occasions, specifically 2009, where there were reports (sure, don't believe them if you don't want to) indicating had the Pats beaten Baltimore he would not have been able to play the following week...remember, he was hit hard to the turf by Hayneworth in the final game of the 09 preseason

I still think that is a matter of speculation. I'll buy the fact that TB12 experienced shoulder injuries that were similar to Jimmy's but I do not buy the fact that he heals quicker or has a higher tolerance for pain. To imply that is an assault on Jimmy's manhood, professionalism and commitment to the team and I won't do it.

I never presented anything as fact. It's all my opinion and since none of us on this board know the truth, my opinion is as valid as yours until actual facts are presented by the team or uncovered by journalists.

It's my opinion that none of you actually exist except as figments of my imagination. Since nobody here can explicitly prove me wrong, my opinion is valid and must be taken seriously.

The defense gave up only 16 points despite being on the field for most of the game. Brissett didn't complete a pass to a WR until the third quarter, IIRC. We absolutely would have won with Brady.

I don't know if the Pats definitely would have won, but the odds go up exponentially with Brady. People forget that Brissett only threw three passes in the first half and the Pats ran a college offense the entire game. We wouldn't see the Wildcat with Brady ever.

I honestly think the staff expected Garoppolo to play and never properly got Brissett ready to play. They just ran the same modified, scaled down offense they ran against the Texans.

I don't know if the Pats definitely would have won, but the odds go up exponentially with Brady. People forget that Brissett only threw three passes in the first half and the Pats ran a college offense the entire game. We wouldn't see the Wildcat with Brady ever.

I honestly think the staff expected Garoppolo to play and never properly got Brissett ready to play. They just ran the same modified, scaled down offense they ran against the Texans.

TBH, I think college offense is even being slightly generous. There was effectively no passing game extending 5+ yards past the LOS. And an important distinction here is that the Bills defense didn't necessarily play all that well. Zach Brown played the game of his life, but other than that they didn't do anything special. Guys were consistently getting open, and they weren't consistently generating any kind of pressure within 3 seconds of the snap.

Based on that, I think the Pats likely win that game with even a baseline starter-caliber NFL QB. With Brady, the chances go up dramatically even from that. IMO that's a ~24-10 win with Brady.

Yup, totally baseless to confidently state that the GOAT QB would significantly outproduce an injured third string rookie making his second career start. That's definitely taking things too far; the only reasonable assumption that can be made is that Brady's a JAG who doesn't make the offense better by playing. I mean, you said he wouldn't have made a difference, so the only alternative is that you know nothing about anything relating to football and have no idea what you're talking about as usual. And surely that can't be it, so yeah, let's go with "Brady clearly wouldn't have made a difference, because really what's the difference between Tom Brady and Jacoby Brissett anyway".

Nothing is absolute......in that instance, you sound like an idiot

you are entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is
I agree we all have our opinions but I think pointing out the skill disparity and the rule changes on offense from 2001 to 2016 is a statement of fact.
I know it is an opinion that Moss and Rice are two of the greatest receivers ever. But in addition to being an opinion it would also be a fact to say that Jerry Rice was better than Reche Caldwell, correct?

I agree we all have our opinions but I think pointing out the skill disparity and the rule changes on offense from 2001 to 2016 is a statement of fact.
I know it is an opinion that Moss and Rice are two of the greatest receivers ever. But in addition to being an opinion it would also be a fact to say that Jerry Rice was better than Reche Caldwell, correct?

You have a point, but 2001 Troy brown was better than anyone on the roster now and David patten was competitive with any wr not Edelman

Garoppolo didn't have gronk and RB was about the same though Faulk is better than anyone Garoppolo threw to

They opened things up much more for jimmy and he made good on it in every aspect

At this point though, these convos can be put to rest since god has returned

• He never looked like JG.
I like how JG has looked thus far and hope he is a bonafide starting NFL QB for his career. Hopefully for the Pats in 2-3 years when TB is most likely done, but I won't stamp him yet because he has only had 1.5 games of starting experience in the NFL. Maybe Cassel didn't have the best cast and scenarios like he did in NE, but he made his own way in the NFL, he just hasn't been able to string it together enough to lay claim to a starting role.

Nothing is absolute......in that instance, you sound like an idiot

Better than being consistently the dumbest poster on this forum. You've been here six years, and the next post you make worth reading will be first one. I hope for your sake you're just a (not very good) troll, because the alternative is even sadder.

There's no reason to think he's capable of anything more than that currently.

I still think that is a matter of speculation. I'll buy the fact that TB12 experienced shoulder injuries that were similar to Jimmy's but I do not buy the fact that he heals quicker or has a higher tolerance for pain. To imply that is an assault on Jimmy's manhood, professionalism and commitment to the team and I won't do it.
I base Brady's ability to bounce back solely on his workout regimen...guy barely lifts, does all sorts of band workouts... Much easier to recover from joint injuries if ur not pounding weights... JG on the other hand is pretty cut for a qb and Brady has the physique of a 13 who just started lifting for jr high football

I base Brady's ability to bounce back solely on his workout regimen...guy barely lifts, does all sorts of band workouts... Much easier to recover from joint injuries if ur not pounding weights... JG on the other hand is pretty cut for a qb and Brady has the physique of a 13 who just started lifting for jr high football

That's fine and you can't argue with his durability but that doesn't prove that he can heal faster or tolerate a higher threshold of pain.

No disrespect intended to Brissett as the young man is not ready to execute an offense built for Tom Brady to Quarterback but I'm fine and indeed hopeful the Patriots hold Garoppolo for the remainder of the season as their back up. I believe the team can go deep into the playoffs with JAG under centre if Brady misses further time.

There's a few things here. Could JAG have played? Perhaps. What happens if he takes another big hit, further damages his shoulder and ruins his trade value? There go the grandiose plans for acquiring draft collateral when JAG fails whatever medical he undertakes. Secondly, you've got a young QB sitting behind Brady for a few years itching to see the field. Do people seriously believe as a competitor and with the quality of team, JAG would not want to be on the field? C'mon man.

The single biggest problem I see is people are over-reacting to a blip on the radar. Things went south and snowballed on the Patriots yesterday. It happens but as any good manager/coach/leader understands, **** happens.

Last edited:
There's no reason to think he's capable of anything more than that currently.

There were actually some claiming that he could run a good offense with strong OL play and his receivers getting open, but they obviously don't follow football that closely, at least with our team. Most here realized that a rookie with limited knowledge of the playbook coming out of his first summer was going to have a pretty difficult time in a real game setting. What we saw wasn't even a college offense. It was closer to high school. It was basically a glorified preseason game.

It was going to take a complete team effort like we saw last Thursday. Unfortunately, we didn't get that yesterday.

Better than being consistently the dumbest poster on this forum. You've been here six years, and the next post you make worth reading will be first one. I hope for your sake you're just a (not very good) troll, because the alternative is even sadder.

From a moron like you, I'll take it as a compliment

I would be shocked if Jimmy G is here at the end of 2017.

I don't blame Jummy G for not playing at less than 100%. Jimmy knows his stock is high & he wants his pay day. If he played at 70% and had a bad game, it would hurt his value.

The fact he didn't play, and the way we lost, could not make Belichick happy. I expect the Pat's to move Jimmy G this offseason.

I don't blame Jummy G for not playing at less than 100%. Jimmy knows his stock is high & he wants his pay day. If he played at 70% and had a bad game, it would hurt his value.

The fact he didn't play, and the way we lost, could not make Belichick happy. I expect the Pat's to move Jimmy G this offseason.

So you're assuming Garoppolo took himself out of the game?

So you're assuming Garoppolo took himself out of the game?

Belichick gave no indication that doctors said he could not go. He said that he was 50/50 Friday & we know he was on the field earlier in the week. I believe Brady would have played, but I understand why Jimmy G did not insist on playing. I probably would have done the same thing.

I don't know how people are bashing Garopollo without being a doctor and without evaluating him themselves.

This. I know it is anecdotal, but I had a G2 sprain of my AC Joint 4-5 years ago. Let me tell you, it is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. When it happened it gave me the feeling that I was going to throw up because of the pain.

AC Joint sprains are nothing to mess with or joke about "toughness". I know everyone's pain tolerance is different, but I'm not kidding when I said that I struggled to dress myself for a few days after. I was still playing baseball and I tried to play 3 days after and couldn't swing due to the pain. It literally feels like a knife is being pressed into the front of your shoulder, and the amount of pressure on the joint is brutal.

All that being said, I didnt have a 245 lb LB in the NFL drive me into the ground, so I can only imagine how much worse Jimmy G's pain was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick