Giardi: Garoppolo "extremely disappointed" he couldn't play Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of our posters are Monty Python worthy. :D

upload_2016-10-4_1-40-33.jpeg

"Brady would have kept fighting"

Last edited:
I'm really torn on this one.

I'm reluctant to second guess what the Patriots staff and Garoppolo say; if it's a lie, they get a lot of credit for keeping their story straight...somebody there probably should run for president. :)

Most importantly JG had too much to gain by playing...another good game could have meant millions to him and a so-so game would have been given an "injured" asterisk. By asking not to play, he'd enable people (see this Board) to question his toughness, which would take money out of his pocket.

So, I'm buying that it was a Team decision that he not play and that Garoppolo is telling the truth when he says he wanted to play and was disappointed at the decision. I've read the arguments against that and, to save other posters the time, I disagree with them.

But, I will agree that it is fair to ask whether Brissett gave them a better chance of winning than a sub-par Gaaroppolo. I don't think he did.

Which leads me to wonder that the "real truth" might be that BB and McDaniels decided that (even though Garoppolo could have started) at 3--0 without Brady they were playing with house money and were better off not risking further injury to Garoppolo against a Ryan Defense, if he has to take over at some point in the season.

On that scenario, they decided to put the game on the shoulders of Blount and the D.

The D, in general, did its job (one TD, none after the first quarter, but it is fair to say that they couldn't get off the field and allowed the Bills to run the clock).

But the offense couldn't stay on the field, Rex took away the run, Special Teams made multiple errors, Goskowski missed a 49 yarder (on a day when AV made 49 and 53 yarders on a wet field in London, clocking his 32nd and 33rd consecutive FG's, albeit in a losing cause) and the plan went south.

Not surprised Rex took away the run. That was the smart thing to do knowing we would be using an injured QB. The problem is the Pats continued with their game plan when it wasn't working. Brissett could have thrown more than 3 passes in the first half. This loss IMHO is on the O and coaching staff

Anyone who's played organized team sports on any level knows that any team no matter how good is capable of producing a 'turd' like the Pat's produced yesterday. It happens. Moving on to Cleveland.
You are absolutely correct It just kills me we crapped the bed against that Bills and that blowhard Rex Ryan. I would have rather lost any one of the other 3 games.

Belichick gave no indication that doctors said he could not go. He said that he was 50/50 Friday & we know he was on the field earlier in the week. I believe Brady would have played, but I understand why Jimmy G did not insist on playing. I probably would have done the same thing.

You do realize 50/50 means 50% chance of not playing too, right?

I mean you do understand how a coin flip works?

Because your argument seems to suggest otherwise...

As for this whole "self-preservation" argument, I call BS. If anything, the chance to come back early from an injury, show personal toughness to potential suitors, and win another game while less than 100% would have done more to add to his potential payday. If he played poorly, everyone would have given him a pass because of the injury.

You don't get to the highest level of the sport by being timid and conservative and hoping you don't get exposed. You have to be a competitor. You have to want to prove yourself. You have to love the challenges and the grind and the opportunities. Jimmy didn't back away from this. I think anyone who suggests that is just projecting their own personal fears of failure.

sorry guys.........the pats would not have won with garoppolo or brady yesterday......the team was an empty shell

I think Brady makes it a totally different game. Brisset had a dumbed down play book that netted 3 total passes in the 1st half.. Buffalo had no pressure on them to score a lot of points and could focus all their efforts on stopping the run and terrorizing jacoby on obvious passing downs

Brady makes this offense go at a totally different level.. no way edelman is coming out of a divisional game with Brady as QB with only 1 catch

I think Brady makes it a totally different game. Brisset had a dumbed down play book that netted 3 total passes in the 1st half.. Buffalo had no pressure on them to score a lot of points and could focus all their efforts on stopping the run and terrorizing jacoby on obvious passing downs

Brady makes this offense go at a totally different level.. no way edelman is coming out of a divisional game with Brady as QB with only 1 catch

well.......Brady has also lost to the Bills......the bigger point being that it was not solely the play of the QB that dictated the outcome....the whole team sucked and by the apparent lack of prep to play the game by all says that Brady would have also sucked on that Sunday

That was a very winnable game with the way the passing game was going under Jimmy in the first 2 games, Fitztragic shredded the Bills secondary in Buffalo, it was a big showcase for Jimmy, he couldn't play, simple as that. No reason to think any other thing, the only possibility I see is that in case there is already a trade in the works and so BB needed to see something more out of Brissett or was a mutual agreement between the parts to not risk aggravating this injury.

Home game against Bills with Brady = easy Pats win. End of discussion

My God, the media makes up a narrative and I can't believe the number of fans who ACTUALLY gave it some credence. And I am someone who thought Jimmy would definitely play vs Buffalo. The first lie is the implication that it was JG's decision about not playing. That's ridiculous, since playing (if he could) was in his best interest. The 2nd lie is that "Brady would have played". It true that Brady HAS played with an AC joint injury, but what the media keep failing to bring up is that it was to his NON-throwing shoulder.

I agree with those who believe that Brady or a healthy JG would have beaten Buffalo on Sunday. I completely disagree with those who believe that Brissett's performance is proof that we need to keep JG past this season. As several sane posters have already mentioned, what we saw Sunday, isn't close to what we will get from this kid 2 years from now. All we know about JB, is that his is poised, tough, and smart. That is a lot of good stuff to know about a kid in his 4th game as a pro.

My God, the media makes up a narrative and I can't believe the number of fans who ACTUALLY gave it some credence. And I am someone who thought Jimmy would definitely play vs Buffalo. The first lie is the implication that it was JG's decision about not playing. That's ridiculous, since playing (if he could) was in his best interest. The 2nd lie is that "Brady would have played". It true that Brady HAS played with an AC joint injury, but what the media keep failing to bring up is that it was to his NON-throwing shoulder.

I agree with those who believe that Brady or a healthy JG would have beaten Buffalo on Sunday. I completely disagree with those who believe that Brissett's performance is proof that we need to keep JG past this season. As several sane posters have already mentioned, what we saw Sunday, isn't close to what we will get from this kid 2 years from now. All we know about JB, is that his is poised, tough, and smart. That is a lot of good stuff to know about a kid in his 4th game as a pro.

The media narrative of this has been ridiculous and it is sad to see so many here parroting that ignorance.

I was going to suggest that if you find yourself on the same side as Felger on any question regarding the Pats that it might be time to reconsider your life choices.

That was a very winnable game with the way the passing game was going under Jimmy in the first 2 games, Fitztragic shredded the Bills secondary in Buffalo, it was a big showcase for Jimmy, he couldn't play, simple as that. No reason to think any other thing, the only possibility I see is that in case there is already a trade in the works and so BB needed to see something more out of Brissett or was a mutual agreement between the parts to not risk aggravating this injury.

really? that's the only possibility you can see?

I am extremely disappointed with how Garoppolo's injury has been handled by the team (for leaking information to the press), the local media (for misinforming us about the severity of Jimmy's injury and his odds of playing) and the mediots & fans for questioning Jimmy's toughness and unfairly comparing him to Brady.

After all this craziness, I can't blame him if he wants to play for another team in 2017/2018 (...though I hope he stays)

I am extremely disappointed with how Garoppolo's injury has been handled by the team (for leaking information to the press), the local media (for misinforming us about the severity of Jimmy's injury and his odds of playing) and the mediots & fans for questioning Jimmy's toughness and unfairly comparing him to Brady.

After all this craziness, I can't blame him if he wants to play for another team in 2017/2018 (...though I hope he stays)
There is no evidence that anything has been leaked to the press.

That Video did stir the pot. When has BB ever allowed an injured player to be videotaped at practice?

I think it was a case of gamenship that backfired. IMO

There is no evidence that anything has been leaked to the press.

Several beat writers have said this quite plainly. The team leaked info to reporters, either to mislead HOU/BUF or make it clear they expected him to play through his injury (as per Jeff Howe)

That was a team loss, make no mistake. But, Brissett's inability to read the defense and deliver in rhythm made offense impossible. Even if the defense and ST's had been flawless, they never would have gotten into the end zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes