PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: I think Bill is realizing his system doesn't work without high level QB play

I'll answer after your answer the question I posed. As I said, I asked you the question for a reason.
I am not interested in the question game, I am interested in what you would do.

Rather than trade for Watson, I’d prefer to trade for a stud red zone Wr and keep Mac. Or if we get a top 10 pick, draft the next Jamar Chase

I am not interested in the question game, I am interested in what you would do.
I am not interested in answering questions from someone who can't be bothered to answer one that I've asked in order to set up my answer.

Which is weird. I'd _maybe_ understand if he was developing slow but uhh... It seems to be league-wide consensus that he looks pretty great. He's no TB, but who is?

The irony is that the title could be "I think Bill is realizing his system only works with QB's who can stand in the pocket and diagnose defenses" because that seems to be an system we're seeing less and less of with RPO/dual threat taking precedent.
It's just typical Max Kellerman "cliff" talk. Talking heads stick to their position because it keeps the spotlight on them.

I'm certainly not ready to say Mac Jones is the next TB12 or an All-Pro but hes certainly better than Andy Dalton- which has been Gasper's moronic stance.

Chattering about how Bill wants to win right now and catch Shula not win later. And since they haven't been doing much winning since Brady left he probably is considering a Mac-for-Deshaun Watson trade. LOL

Fast forward to 20:00

If there's any truth to that then maybe it really is time for BB to move on. Gasper tho...
Gasper sucks ! He gets killed on twitter for his mac jones takes and whines like an idiot

New Orleans and LA Rams, most of the time. Nowhere else.
Brees was high level. I don't consider what Winston is doing falling into the category of high level.

McVay seems to know what he is doing. I don't think Goff is terrible but he needs very good players surrounding him.

You mean Cassel.

Out before you ban me.

work smile GIF
Ahahahaha, well played
You mean Cassel.

Out before you ban me.

work smile GIF

I know Field personally. You’ll never hear him bad mouth BB because he is childhood best friends with crazy face Steve, BBs son
Do you ever vent to him about Bill’s blunders and get his opinion on it?

Do you ever vent to him about Bill’s blunders and get his opinion on it?

no not really. Just not my place. I mean I vent here, but I wouldn’t be disrespectful about someones close family friend to their face. I do get great fantasy advice tho haha. I used to be a huge belichick fan but his moves in past 5 years and the way he treated Brady On his way out made me sour toward him. and bringing back that a hole Patricia grinds my gears. I think when belichick was younger there was no better coach in history, at least defensively

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner!!

My theory is this: coach/GM regimes are often unfairly given too little time. They tie their hopes to a quarterback, often a draft pick because the owner/fans believe it is all in their power to develop the QB. Therefore, they’re reluctant to move on immediately if the QB doesn’t have what it takes, even though the percentages favor moving on from QB after one year of two years max, then re-drafting a QB.

Even if the QB is “borderline” after year one, teams should consider drafting another QB if they’re in position to do so. Otherwise, your mistake has gone from a one year problem to a three to four year problem.
Credit to Steve Kiem and or Kingsburry for cutting the cord on Rosen and not pass up the opportunity for a better QB. Too many teams pass on players in general because they took a guy a year prior and think they are set.

I'm not that high on Jones long term as there's really nothing that "wow's" you about him. His arm is very mediocre. And as many analysts have said, there's not much of a ceiling with him. However, he looks to be in control of the offense, makes protection calls, doesn't do anything stupid and looks fairly poised out there.

Yeah, we definitely should not be excited about Jones' long-term future on the Patriots. Young kid, not much of a ceiling, doesn't have a plus arm, nothing that really "wows" us about him; he does a good job of managing the offense, shows good poise, leadership, moxie, takes care of the football pretty well, but beyond that ... meh.

Wait a sec ... something here seems kind of ... familiar? Maybe I'm just getting my thoughts mixed up - if it was important, it'd come to me.

Anyway ... :whistle:

Arizona is a good example that this is possible. They gave up on a top 10 QB pick after ONE year which is pretty unheard of. I thought they were crazy, but it's paying off. I'm not that high on Jones long term as there's really nothing that "wow's" you about him. His arm is very mediocre. And as many analysts have said, there's not much of a ceiling with him. However, he looks to be in control of the offense, makes protection calls, doesn't do anything stupid and looks fairly poised out there.
That's 99% of the battle.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner!!

My theory is this: coach/GM regimes are often unfairly given too little time. They tie their hopes to a quarterback, often a draft pick because the owner/fans believe it is all in their power to develop the QB. Therefore, they’re reluctant to move on immediately if the QB doesn’t have what it takes, even though the percentages favor moving on from QB after one year of two years max, then re-drafting a QB.

Even if the QB is “borderline” after year one, teams should consider drafting another QB if they’re in position to do so. Otherwise, your mistake has gone from a one year problem to a three to four year problem.
Rosen is one thing and clearly it was much more than a situation where the kid coming up that year was shinier. Rosen was traded three times (last I kept count) and have no idea if he is still in the league. He obviously had issues somewhere that multiple teams/coaches felt were beyond repair. And they must of been clear and identifiable very quickly.

Now, do you think the Jets are happy they traded Darnold? Only to watch him flourish in another system, early on atleast? I'd be pissed if that happened to us.

Yeah, we definitely should not be excited about Jones' long-term future on the Patriots. Young kid, not much of a ceiling, doesn't have a plus arm, nothing that really "wows" us about him; he does a good job of managing the offense, shows good poise, leadership, moxie, takes care of the football pretty well, but beyond that ... meh.

Wait a sec ... something here seems kind of ... familiar? Maybe I'm just getting my thoughts mixed up - if it was important, it'd come to me.

Anyway ... :whistle:
You know if you people are going to compare QB's who are 20th in the NFL in passing to To Brady, you are not going to be taken serious. You need to stop this **** of, oh, look Tom did that so he will be Tom Brady crap. Its just silly. I could tag about 5000 QB's as that, and they didnt make it. Comparing any QB to Brady after 5 games is not only stupid, its disrespectful.

no not really. Just not my place. I mean I vent here, but I wouldn’t be disrespectful about someones close family friend to their face. I do get great fantasy advice tho haha. I used to be a huge belichick fan but his moves in past 5 years and the way he treated Brady On his way out made me sour toward him. and bringing back that a hole Patricia grinds my gears. I think when belichick was younger there was no better coach in history, at least defensively
Got it. Totally forgot he’s close to his son so he’s not going to say anything bad about Bill.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back