PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gary Guyton=Roman Phifer clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jczxohn1

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was worried when Spikes got suspended, but Guyton filled in admirably, and looks better run-stopping than he did last season. Going to be a real good 3rd down ILB, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gary Guyton=Roman Phyfer clone?

It's almost kind of scary, he's been having a real knack of making big plays that completely demoralize the other team. Devin did a great job of causing the fumble, and I love Guyton's killer instincts and execution of taking it to the house.

Guyton would always be better than Spikes. Dude has come a long way and keeps getting better.

I dunno. By time we got Phifer he was in his mid-30's. Guyton is still around 26 yrs old. he's also alot faster than Phifer was when we had him.

It's almost kind of scary, he's been having a real knack of making big plays that completely demoralize the other team. Devin did a great job of causing the fumble, and I love Guyton's killer instincts and execution of taking it to the house.

he sure looked quick taking that back to the house. Guyton has preformed well this year and i think complements our starting tandem very very well

Gary Guyton=Gary Guyton, and there ain't nothin wrong with that.

all theese this guy = that guy threads, are really annoying and usually way off, like this one.

Guyton is himself..hes getting better and he sure did look fast when he scored that TD...very pleased with him.

I dunno. By time we got Phifer he was in his mid-30's. Guyton is still around 26 yrs old. he's also alot faster than Phifer was when we had him.

IIRC, Phyfer was the Kevin Faulk of the defense in '01. Came in for TJ on 3rd down and while he wasn't a thumper, could play the pass or the run. Tormented TE's in coverage. While he was on the downside of his career, his experience put him in the right place most of the time. I think Guyton has a chance of being that good and being a factor in improving our below par 3rd down defense.

I'm actually pretty pleased with Guyton's progress. Seems that hes gotten bigger, is playing with more power and hasn't lost much speed and quickness.

As far as being compared to Roman- No. They are different players. With NE Roman was a was a 100 tackle guy and MUCH stronger at the point of attack. He became a reserve in 2004 I think.

Roman Phifer was an unbelievable linebacker. A shut down pass coverage linebacker on either tight ends or running backs, but he was very strong and had 100+ tackle seasons.

Guyton, with more experience, is on his way to becoming as good as Phifer was.

Have to remember he was an udfa... from his Pats Bio.. liked this kid from the onset.. not sure that Phyfer was this quick..

Gary was the only undrafted rookie to make the Patriots' opening day roster in 2008. He went on to play in 14 games with two starts, becoming the first undrafted rookie linebacker to start for the Patriots since Bill Belichick became head coach in 2000.

Gary had the fastest time in the 40-yard dash by a linebacker at the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine.

Read more at: Gary Guyton - Official New England Patriots Biography

Guyton = Phifer? Are you nuts?

Guyton is a decent lb. Roman Phifer was better than decent. Guyton is pretty decent againt the pass and not so much against the run. Phifer was pretty good at both.

Phifer was known for his smart, physical play, by which he more than compensated for a lack of speed.

This resembles Guyton -- how?

Also, Guyton doesn't have a habit of "pondering retirement" until the very end of training camp like Phifer did.

Also, Guyton doesn't have a habit of "pondering retirement" until the very end of training camp like Phifer did.

You are wrong on that. BB and Roman has an arraingement where he would spend extra time in the offseason with his young daughter. He trained out in LA and not in Foxboro.

Every year, RP showed up in better shape than 99.9 of the team.

I was worried when Spikes got suspended, but Guyton filled in admirably, and looks better run-stopping than he did last season. Going to be a real good 3rd down ILB, IMO.

Filled in? When is this stuff going to stop?

Percentage of total defensive snaps played in the 4 games prior to the suspension:

Spikes Guyton
21% 68%
13% 88%
22% 78%
35% 60%

Guyton isn't "filling in" for Spikes. Spike's is Guyton's substitute on obvious running downs.

Roman Phifer was an unbelievable linebacker. A shut down pass coverage linebacker on either tight ends or running backs, but he was very strong and had 100+ tackle seasons.

Guyton, with more experience, is on his way to becoming as good as Phifer was.

IIRC, Phyfer's 100+ tackle seasons, (2), were during the time TJ was out with a biceps tear and a knee problem.We saw him during the last 3rd of his career, when he was a very heady 3rd down coverage LB, who stepped up when called upon. Most of his coverage tackles were because he was in the right place at the right time, not because he ran people down. He , like Guyton, was not known for blowing up RB's in the hole, like TJ did and Spikes may do if he gets his act together.

Gary Guyton=Gary Guyton, and there ain't nothin wrong with that.

all theese this guy = that guy threads, are really annoying and usually way off, like this one.

Gary Guyton = Gary Glitter!!! He effin Rocks!!!

Phifer was known for his smart, physical play, by which he more than compensated for a lack of speed.

This resembles Guyton -- how?

;)

One out of three anyway -- Guyton is certainly fast, and since he is usually in the right position, I'll give him smart as well. But he is the least physical LB I think I have ever seen. He tackles like a cover corner, and is a big liability against the run. His agility is also suspect: watch him in space, he has difficulty turning, although a lot of that may be due to his tendency to go head down early in his tackles. He's also not very strong: his 15 reps at the combine were the lowest of any linebacker.

He's made a few big plays, I'll give him that. He's also blown tackles that have led to even more big plays.

Last edited:
Guyton really was on display tonight. That horrid 3rd down play at the end of the third quarter when he whiffed on Kuhn(!) was all too typical of his clumsiness in space. We're really missing Spikes against the run. Belichick played Fletcher a lot more for Guyton after that. Fletcher is not as fast as Guyton, but is more agile, and is a vastly better tackler.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots