Asking for your support

Garrapolo-Trade or Keep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
With no pick in the first round is it time for the Patriots to try and use Garrapolo to move up in the Draft, trade him for a quality veteran at a position of need, out keep him with the hope he will stay long enough to eventually take over at QB?

Some things to consider:

1) They can't trade up into the first round without losing the higher pick. However if they were to trade up to say 25 they would then get the 28 pick back.

2) Is this draft good enough to warrant moving Garrapolo for a pick, e.G... Would you trade Garrapolo for the chance to draft Ezekiel Elliott?

3) How long is Garrapolo willing to wait for a shot at a starting position? His deal runs two more years and then he will be a few agent, would be re-sign with Brady still the clear starter?

4) Would they be better off keeping him as Bradys back up in case of injury?

5) Could they make a trade for a quality veteran who can help them immediately?

6) Should they keep him another season with the possibility of trading him for a first rounder, especially if MacDaniels takes a HC position?

I think Brady will probably play 3-4 more years like he's said which is probably too long for us to keep Jimmy G, like Mallett and Hoyer he'll want to get his shot under center.

But he's got more value now as a backup than in trade. If Brady goes down this year we can still win some games with Jimmy, imo.

Right now my inclination would be to keep Garrapolo for another season in case of injury, because I don't think the return is worth it, and because of Brady were injured and Garrapolo played well it would seriously elevate his value. I'm of the view Brady will be the starter for the more seasons but injury could always change that and QBs are hard to come by. They should listen to offers and keep their options open but right now keeping him would make the most sense imo, unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

I'd trade anyone on the roster if the return value is worth it. Some players I'd place a value on that would be prohibitive or downright undoable to other teams.

Having seen what the board thinks is fair value for our backup qbs Vs the reality makes me think we'd never get enough back.

I suspect if they dump him this year they would get a 2nd rounder for him. Maybe he fetches an additional pick if he starts a majority of the team's games.

I dunna know though. While we all agree TB is still on top of his game, you can count on one hand the number of 39 year old QBs that have started 16 games in a season.

Keep him as injury insurance and a possible heir to Brady. Draft another QB this year and then make a decision after training camp or at the end of the year.

I suspect if they dump him this year they would get a 2nd rounder for him. Maybe he fetches an additional pick if he starts a majority of the team's games.

I dunna know though. While we all agree TB is still on top of his game, you can count on one hand the number of 39 year old QBs that have started 16 games in a season.

I think Brady is setting a new bar when it comes to the level of play you can get from older quarterbacks. He takes care of himself like no other QB has and there is absolutely no evidence of deterioration in his play, and it could be argued that he is getting better. I don't think they should count on him to carry them the way he has and I believe that a great defense and a strong run game would put them over the top for another Lombardi and possibly two, and they should should be shooting to have both for next season.

If BB traded Jimmy for a high round pick, he might just end up using another relatively high round pick on a backup QB, and an unknown one at that.

Keep him. I don't see the point in a trade. It's likely that BB would've taken the 30th (if not taken) and traded down anyways.

And, the way the squad is now, I'm not sure how many rookies from the next draft will be playing anyways.

Keep in mind that JAG was a 2nd round pick himself, so really the only way the Pats could get improved value out of him would involve getting a 1st round pick for him (which i don't see happening) or trading for a starting caliber player for our team, which i also don't see happening. To most people's point, at the moment, JAG probably has the most value backing up TB.

First of all, I don't believe moving him is really something NE needs to be curious about exploring until after next season. There's no real contractual/cap or team-building angle that necessitates moving what appears to be a quality backup who's got 2 years in your system that's occasionally bemoaned as too complicated for some and we're really only sure Tom Brady can run at a high efficiency level.

So I'd agree that his value as a backup to a 39-40-year old QB (even one as durable as TB) is a lot higher than NE could realistically expect back in any trade, even from the most desperate among the QB-less in the NFL while he's still on his rookie deal.

The only real other reason to trade him would be 1) offer you can't refuse, 2) they think he sucks and think that w/o TB they'd be ****ed anyway so it doesn't matter who the backup is.

With no pick in the first round is it time for the Patriots to try and use Garrapolo to move up in the Draft, trade him for a quality veteran at a position of need, out keep him with the hope he will stay long enough to eventually take over at QB?

Some things to consider:

1) They can't trade up into the first round without losing the higher pick. However if they were to trade up to say 25 they would then get the 28 pick back.

2) Is this draft good enough to warrant moving Garrapolo for a pick, e.G... Would you trade Garrapolo for the chance to draft Ezekiel Elliott?

3) How long is Garrapolo willing to wait for a shot at a starting position? His deal runs two more years and then he will be a few agent, would be re-sign with Brady still the clear starter?

4) Would they be better off keeping him as Bradys back up in case of injury?

5) Could they make a trade for a quality veteran who can help them immediately?

6) Should they keep him another season with the possibility of trading him for a first rounder, especially if MacDaniels takes a HC position?
Good God, no one is giving up a 1st round pick for Jimmy Garrapolo.

We really don't know the value of Jimmy G. Probably only the coaching staff has an idea if he is starter quality or not. We also don't know how long the team views Brady will play here. If they see Jimmy G as a quality player and Brady will be here under 3 years, then I say keep him. If they don't think he can become a good starting QB or that Brady can play more then 3 years, then I think if we can get a 2nd or early 3rd rounder we trade him and get a vet back up.

I'd try to keep him for as long as we can. We have nothing after Brady and as much as I'd like Brady to play for three more years, there is just no guarantee for a QB that is turning 39 this year. Garropolo looked good in his really limited appearances and I'd take that over a complete unknown QB in the draft, not to mention the fact that we rarely have a top 10 pick that could ensure us to get the next great QB prospect.

Oh, and we aren't getting a first round pick for Garropolo. There is no point to trade him.

You won't get a 2nd round pick for him, no way.
He was a 2nd round pick, and has sat around not playing football for 2 years.
Teams will choose to use their second round pick on a QB who hasn't been inactive for 2 years, and will actually learn their system from the start.
I'm guessing teams desperate for a backup may give up a 4th or 5th for Garrapolo, which the Patriots would be silly to take.
This is why QBs who have never played since being drafted don't get traded.

If you can get a 2nd or more for him, trade him and look for the future QB a couple of drafts from now. If not, keep him and don't eat the loss.

I think Brady is setting a new bar when it comes to the level of play you can get from older quarterbacks. He takes care of himself like no other QB has and there is absolutely no evidence of deterioration in his play, and it could be argued that he is getting better. I don't think they should count on him to carry them the way he has and I believe that a great defense and a strong run game would put them over the top for another Lombardi and possibly two, and they should should be shooting to have both for next season.

I agree with you 100% that TB is still elite but that doesn't really change things as there have only been two QBs in NFL history (Favre and Moon ) that have been 40 or older and made the ProBowl.

With that said, why take a chance in trading Jimmy G?

You won't get a 2nd round pick for him, no way.
He was a 2nd round pick, and has sat around not playing football for 2 years.
Teams will choose to use their second round pick on a QB who hasn't been inactive for 2 years, and will actually learn their system from the start.
I'm guessing teams desperate for a backup may give up a 4th or 5th for Garrapolo, which the Patriots would be silly to take.
This is why QBs who have never played since being drafted don't get traded.
If you put Jimmy G in front of BOB he would take a hard look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes