PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gardner Minshew as a possible Pats QB?

Singing the praises... hardly. I put him in that 2nd tier of QB's with the Joe Flaccos, Goffs and Wentzs of the world. That being said I put Luton and Glennon in that third category, which means if I run a team I simply don't roster them.

If the market isn’t brisk for Trubisky I’d take him as a reasonably priced bridge reclamation guy along with a rookie QB. He could potentially look better in this system with a power run game around him and solid O-Line. He looked good yesterday, his receivers were dropping balls all over the place and punching opponents and getting tossed from the game.

You didn’t specify that. You said he “looked good” yesterday. The team scored 9 points. He completed 19 passes for 199 yards and a garbage time touchdown. On what planet did he “look good?” ‘Cause it ain’t this one. He also very easily could have thrown a pick-6 in the first quarter because he did what he always does - stared down his first read (Robinson) and then threw the ball into double coverage. Nagy watered down the offense specifically because Trubisky is simply not a very good QB. That you would want him as a bridge QB to a rookie (meaning he would be teaching the rookie hands-on) would be a brutal decision.

As for Minshew? He is what he is. You could do a lot better than him and you could do a lot worse than him. I suppose that, when the Jags cut him loose, I’d rather have him than Trubisky. Then we can watch the people here who like him make excuses when he gets happy feet in the pocket within 0.07 seconds of dropping back, gets strip sacked because he holds the ball too long, flees an otherwise clean pocket and gets sacked, or fires picks.

Unless the Pats are on, I flip between channels on the football package depending on score, matchup and situation. I don't know how many Jags games I've watched, or Texans or Chiefs games for that matter... I don't have to watch every game to assess good or bad. Mahomes or Deshaun Watson are going to be great whether I'm watching or not. Minshew is going to be an "average/good" QB on a horrible team. A "bad" player can't put up good stats on a terrible and getting worse weekly team, which is what Minshew has done for the last two years.

Yeah, I figured you didn’t watch too much of them. You outed that when you faulted their OL for their lack of production on the ground. The OL was actually not a weakness of theirs this season. The lack of production on the ground was not having any NFL quality backs to spell Spinna. They started Mike Glennon against Indy when they had nothing to gain anymore by losing and with Minshew healthy. That should tell you all you need to know about Minshew.

You didn’t specify that. You said he “looked good” yesterday. The team scored 9 points. He completed 19 passes for 199 yards and a garbage time touchdown. On what planet did he “look good?” ‘Cause it ain’t this one. He also very easily could have thrown a pick-6 in the first quarter because he did what he always does - stared down his first read (Robinson) and then threw the ball into double coverage. Nagy watered down the offense specifically because Trubisky is simply not a very good QB. That you would want him as a bridge QB to a rookie (meaning he would be teaching the rookie hands-on) would be a brutal decision.

As for Minshew? He is what he is. You could do a lot better than him and you could do a lot worse than him. I suppose that, when the Jags cut him loose, I’d rather have him than Trubisky. Then we can watch the people here who like him make excuses when he gets happy feet in the pocket within 0.07 seconds of dropping back, gets strip sacked because he holds the ball too long, flees an otherwise clean pocket and gets sacked, or fires picks.

Yeah, I figured you didn’t watch too much of them. You outed that when you faulted their OL for their lack of production on the ground. The OL was actually not a weakness of theirs this season. The lack of production on the ground was not having any NFL quality backs to spell Spinna. They started Mike Glennon against Indy when they had nothing to gain anymore by losing and with Minshew healthy. That should tell you all you need to know about Minshew.
Did you just say James Robinson isn't a good back and the offensive line was good?

Robinson rushed for 1070 yards in 14 starts, 7 TD's and a 4.5 yards per carry average... oh yeah, behind an O-Line Sporting News had ranked 27th and PFF had ranked 22nd in an overly favorable ranking.

Also we already had this conversation earlier where you said Minshew wasn't hurt and I provided a tweet showing how he had dual fractures in the thumb on his throwing hand. But you watch a lot of Jags games...

Do we dislike Jacoby Brisset so much that we're talking about Minshew?

Do we dislike Jacoby Brisset so much that we're talking about Minshew?
We're talking about a fantasy where the Jags select a QB #1, so they decide to let their best backup QB go despite the fact he's getting paid minimum wage and under contract for two more years.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back