PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great effort by our STs. But let's not kid ourselves with our defense. Henne made two awful reads and threw two dumb passes. I'll credit Ninkovich for taking advantage of the opportunity, but that was more Henne's fault than our defense forcing it.

Our defense is still scary bad.

The defense didn't play scary bad tonight. Four INTs and they were all the QB's fault. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the Dolphins had the ball ten possessions and came away with two TDs, two punts (one blocked for a TD), a blocked field goal attempt, turned over on downs, and four INTs. That wasn't all because Henne gave them the game. To block a punt, you gotta stop a drive.

1. Great win but just like we shouldn't panic after a loss, we shouldn't overreact to a win. The defense was better but still has a ways to go... if not for a couple Ninkovich picks we were getting gashed in the first half, and we can't really be relying on Nink to be that kind of playmaker week in week out. Still, lots to be encouraged about... like I said in the other thread it's really just that 3rd down defense especially all the long conversions. DB's mistakes in those situations seem correctable so I feel confident in our ability to keep improving. Still right now, this defense isn't as good as the 14 points you see on the scoreboard IMO.

I thought that penalty on McCourty that allowed the Miami drive to continue and eventually lead to an INT was pretty bogus so I don't think it was all that bad.

Here is another positive from the game: Best tore them up in the first half but they actually adjusted!

Ninko's 2nd interception was perfect. He sat on the route and undercut it at exactly the right moment.

Absolutely wrong. Now way a Patriots' defender can play good coverage. No way. No how. :D

In the first half, and the beginning of the second, I saw a defense in position tonight more than it has been. But there still were glaring mistakes. Missed tackles. A couple cases of missed coverage, usually caused by some deception by the fins. And soft play at the line. Again, this is growing pains, getting used to scheme and responsibility. I also notice a need for technique improvement among the DB's. Growing pains.

This season, the young DB's rarely have been toasted as we saw a couple of years ago. They have decent coverage, but their bodies are out of position when they need to make a play. This will be corrected, I think. Technique can be taught, and there was again enough film for these guys to study to understand.

Great game though in all facets. The biggest drive of the game for me is in the third quarter when after the Fins scored to make it a 6 point game, Brady and co. took a bunch of time and a bunch of plays (12?) and drove it right back down the fins throats for a TD. That drive took the heart out of the Fins.

It is you who is kidding yourself. INTs are rarely "great" throws with amazing defensive plays. And a "perfect" throw will never be intercepted. The defense generated turnovers but let's still biatch about it because it wasn't pretty enough of a turnover?

That's the truth. Everyone, announcers, analysts on ESPN and NFL network talking about the game said the same thing. Bad read by Henne. He shouldn't have thrown that ball. Did Ninkovich capitalize and make the play? Sure, but some you are spinning this like that play was caused by something great our defense did. I would love to say, hey our defense forced a TO, but reality is, Henne forced that pass and caused that TO. Henne was not pressured, nor was he in a situation to force that type of throw.

Nice to see a second half domination as opposed to a second half collapse. Plenty to work on, another win in the division and importantly an early season road win.

The defense didn't play scary bad tonight. Four INTs and they were all the QB's fault. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the Dolphins had the ball ten possessions and came away with two TDs, two punts (one blocked for a TD), a blocked field goal attempt, turned over on downs, and four INTs. That wasn't all because Henne gave them the game. To block a punt, you gotta stop a drive.

LOL. Okay buddy. Our defense sucked and got bailed out by two awful Henne throws and great ST plays by us.

The Phins moved at will and converted a couple of third and 20's rather easily.

I swear you guys were watching a different game than I was.

This board is as comical as the game I just saw.

That's the truth. Everyone, announcers, analysts on ESPN and NFL network talking about the game said the same thing. Bad read by Henne. He shouldn't have thrown that ball. Did Ninkovich capitalize and make the play? Sure, but some you are spinning this like that play was caused by something great our defense did. I would love to say, hey our defense forced a TO, but reality is, Henne forced that pass and caused that TO. Henne was not pressured, nor was he in a situation to force that type of throw.

Every QB throws bad throws every week. Every QB has misscommunications with there wide receivers every week. Not everyone of them is intercepted. Of course the defense needs to improve but this game showed some real positive signs. Being in position to make Henne pay for those mistakes is one of those signs.

It was like the Old Days again tonight, Chung, Tate, Woodhead andMayo are the new play makers.

Dont forget McCourty. that 4th down stop was big. he has his troubles, but he's quickly becoming our best corner.

90% of all INTs can be argued with that same logic. Once again, a perfect read or perfect throw simply CANNOT be intercepted. I never said we had a "great" defense but you are just being a whiny little *****. I don't know how you can call yourself a fan, less than an hour after a good divisional road win and you trying to convince people that the defense sucks even though they played well.

This is an -up- for the defense in an up and down season as they continue to learn and grow. 3-1 in the 1st quarter of the season, which should see the young defense at their -worst- is a DAMN good thing.

Baltimore.... be ready, last year is not forgotten! And we got 2 weeks ;)

So what?

You think every decision in football is correct?

Here's the POINT. The opponent makes one bad decision you capitalize.

Also, I didn't think the pass rush was that bad. Henne needed to unload rather quickly, which generated matriculating the ball which caused int's.

I would also point out that the Miami offense has been outstanding at home.

My guess is that is the next step up.

LOL. Okay buddy. Our defense sucked and got bailed out by two awful Henne throws and great ST plays by us.

Why does it read like you'd prefer those balls were batted down or completions so you can complain about the defense?

The defense, despite the yards made plays and held the Dolphins (who are a handy side and playing at home) to 14 points. If the Crennel D played like that we'd be high fiving everyone to a Superbowl.

I've watched this D hold a good Offense in Miami (14) points and a crap Offense in Buffalo (30) points in the space of a week. They were both wins and both on the opposite end of performance.

Last edited:

Yes, the picks caused the Dolphins to punt twice and turn the ball over downs. When McCourty made an awesome hit on Ricky Williams on fourth and 2 causing him to go down a yard short, it was just a throw right to McCourty.

I didn't say the Pats defense played awesome, but they played incredible at times, good at others, and bad other times. To make the defense look like it was overmatched all game and barring three bad throws by Henne the Dolphins would have won 45-0 is just being a chicken little.

Last edited:
Why does it read like you'd prefer those balls were batted down or completions so you can complain about the defense?

The defense, despite the yards made plays and held the Dolphins (who are a handy side and playing at home) to 14 points. If the Crennel D played like that we'd be high fiving everyone to a Superbowl.

If the Pats picked Henne twelve times tonight. Some people would say the Pats defense were overmatched and just got lucky for making stupid mistakes. Ninkovitch had to jump the routes on both passes and one time he had to make a pretty athletic play. Other than the pass to Chung, none of the passes were directly to defenders.

If the Pats picked Henne twelve times tonight. Some people would say the Pats defense were overmatched and just got lucky for making stupid mistakes. Ninkovitch had to jump the routes on both passes and one time he had to make a pretty athletic play. Other than the pass to Chung, none of the passes were directly to defenders.

The first and third picks were absolute gifts. The second was a good play by Ninkovich on a bad throw by Henne.

So what?

You think every decision in football is correct?

Here's the POINT. The opponent makes one bad decision you capitalize.

Also, I didn't think the pass rush was that bad. Henne needed to unload rather quickly, which generated matriculating the ball which caused int's.

I would also point out that the Miami offense has been outstanding at home.

My guess is that is the next step up.

Really? What game were you watching?

The first and third picks were absolute gifts. The second was a good play by Ninkovich on a bad throw by Henne.

What caused him to throw those picks. Sometimes coverages or pressure causes those picks. Henne is going to take the blame for bad throws, but the Pats could have caused those bad throws. Even so, what do bad throws have to do with the Pats stopping three other drives and only allowing scores on two of ten drives?

Really? What game were you watching?

That point I agree with you. I didn't think the pass rush was great. But the defense did step up at time to stop drives that had nothing to do with INTs on bad passes.

You're right Rob0729. Unfortunately we're forgetting that it's flavor of the month to dissect and pick on the Patriots defense even in light of a very good all around performance.

Some people refuse to give praise for the sake of it. Ninkovich scared the crap out of me on that first drive. He went on to make 2 picks and a sack.

The one real criticism I have for tonight is our blitz packaging. That needs a whole lot of work and communication still.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference