Game Thoughts: The feasted on Ratbirds edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't done one of these in a while. Here we go:
  • First and foremost, the score does not reflect how lopsided this game was. The Pats' special teams gifted the Ravens 14 points. You take those away and the Ravens score 9 points. I am not going to lie. I was a bit nervous at the end, but not that the Ravens would beat the Pats. I was worried that the Pats would beat the Pats.
  • The much maligned Patriots defense isn't all that bad. Ok, people way overrated the Ravens' offense coming into this game, but the Pats shut down Jump Ball Joe for most of this game. Sure he had over 300 yards, but that is because he threw 52 times. The Ravens had a mediocre 5.7 yard per passing play. He had a lot of insignificant 2-3 passing plays. Bend-don't-break can be frustrating, but it is effective. The defense is second in the League in points allowed 13 games into the season. I don't care who the competition has been, that is still impressive.
  • I don't know how the special teams can be both awesome and putrid in the same game, but the Pats' special teams did that. You have big boy plays like McClellin's blocked FG and Ryan Allen's punts. And then you have Cyrus Jones....
  • Speaking of Cyrus Jones.... I think I won't speak of Cyrus Jones. This is a family friendly site.
  • Kudos to Matt Patricia. I think his game plan had Flacco confused most of the game. Last night reminded me of the RAC era of defense. I so miss all the presnap deception that RAC used to bring. Put six or seven people close to the line and make the opposing QB guess who is rushing and who will drop back in coverage.
  • For the first time in three weeks Tom Brady looks healthy again. The last few games, I noticed him not stepping into his throws like he should. I felt he showed some of that early last night, but he clearly got into a groove.
  • I am concerned about Edelman. His hands have sucked this year. Last night was no different. When Welker fell off in production, the first thing to go was his sure hands. Too soon to think the same thing is happening to Edelman, but it is a concern.
  • Even with the loss of Gronk, this offense has so many weapons. The Pats haven't had this many weapons since 2007 although with the loss of Gronk they have no game changer like Moss that year. Last night it was the Chris Hogan and James White Show (making big game changing plays). Next week it could be Malcolm Mitchell or Dion Lewis.
  • Speaking of Hogan. Has anyone ever heard that he is always open? Maybe someone should give him a nickname based on that fact.
  • The kick and punt return game is a concern going forward. I don't think they know who they want returning kicks and punts right now. The easy choice is Edelman, but he is too valuable to risk right now with the loss of Gronk and Amendola. So he is out. I really hope this doesn't bite them in the playoffs.
  • I really like this Van Noy. Another unspectacular trade by Belichick that is paying off dividends. He has turned into a very good role player in this defense. Smart kid and can make big plays at times.
  • Funny fact that might only amuse me. The Pats can lose the rest of the games this season and still have a first round bye. One more win or one loss from Miami and that clinches it. They have the tiebreaker vs. the Steelers and already have more wins than any other team in the AFC North or South will have this season.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob....your take sorta got lost amidst the avalanche of ancillary anecdotes posted this morning.

• Funny fact that might only amuse me. The Pats can lose the rest of the games this season and still have a first round bye. One more win or one loss from Miami and that clinches it. They have the tiebreaker vs. the Steelers and already have more wins than any other team in the AFC North or South will have this season.
Not quite.

Because the H2H over PIT is negated in a 3-way tie, if NE loses out they would need losses by both MIA and PIT to clinch a bye. (If NE, PIT, and OAK/DEN all win their divisions at 11-5, PIT is #1, OAK/DEN is #2).

JE11's hands IMO are streaky to begin with. I agree with these quick twitch WRs like WW, TB80 the hands are the first to go but not sure hes there yet.

Edelman just had his first kid so I give him a pass this week ...

• The much maligned Patriots defense isn't all that bad. Ok, people way overrated the Ravens' offense coming into this game, but the Pats shut down Jump Ball Joe for most of this game. Sure he had over 300 yards, but that is because he threw 52 times. The Ravens had a mediocre 5.7 yard per passing play. He had a lot of insignificant 2-3 passing plays. Bend-don't-break can be frustrating, but it is effective. The defense is second in the League in points allowed 13 games into the season. I don't care who the competition has been, that is still impressive.
After last nights game and the combined pass-rush/secondary play, we might have to rename him to Check-Down Joe. He made some really great throws, but not enough and Brady was (and is) the far superior QB.

Not quite.

Because the H2H over PIT is negated in a 3-way tie, if NE loses out they would need losses by both MIA and PIT to clinch a bye. (If NE, PIT, and OAK/DEN all win their divisions at 11-5, PIT is #1, OAK/DEN is #2).

My bad. Thanks for the info.

Good to have these back!

Edelman's hands are fine and not the problem. The problem is that Brady is WAY too locked in on him.

--Last night, Edelman had more targets than Mitchell, Bennett, White, Lewis and Blount combined.

--When throwing to receivers not named Julian, Brady completed 86% of his passes, with 3 incompletions total.

--When throwing to Edelman, Brady completed 47% of his attempts, with 8 of his 11 total incompletions.

You get the idea. Brady was great last night, is great, hurray for Tom. But please man, stop obsessing over Edelman.

not to be nit-picky, but the tackling could have been better. Way too many missed tackles by the Pats allowing too many YACs.

Wow stats dont lie on 47 snaps it seemed like Brady threw to Edelman 47 times:rolleyes: and early on some of Bady's passes were off but Edelman dropped at-least three. Also McDaniels should Quit that deep $h!t to Edelman he's not and never was a Deep threat.:mad:

Blocked FG not punt.

"I am concerned about Edelman. His hands have sucked this year. Last night was no different."

Edelman "dropped" a lot of passes this past game because Brady was throwing it to him when he had a defender right on him when there were better options he didn't go to.

Blocked FG not punt.

"I am concerned about Edelman. His hands have sucked this year. Last night was no different."

Edelman "dropped" a lot of passes this past game because Brady was throwing it to him when he had a defender right on him when there were better options he didn't go to.

You are right about FG. Fixed it. Thanks.

Edelman used to catch those passes. Too many drops though this year. Of course it could just be because he is still not 100% there mentally with his foot and could be corrected over time.

Rob how about "Chris 7/11 Hogan"?:cool:

I get it. 7/11 is open 24 hours a day or "always open". That's clever. I wonder why no one has ever thought of that one.

on 47 snaps it seemed like Brady threw to Edelman 47 times
Right, that's another piece of it. Edelman only played 47 snaps and was targeted on a third of them. With the weapons at Brady's disposal, that's crazy.

By comparison, Hogan played 57 snaps and was targeted 7 times (12%) and Mitchell played 54 snaps and got 5 targets (9%).

Thanks Rob! Glad you decided to chime in; the only post-game threads I used to read are Ken and yours, and so thrilled to read yours.

Hope this coincides with the Pats performance improving by leaps and bounds and we holding the SB (and Brady giving the finger to Goodhell) at the end. :)

PS; for Hogan - why not simply call him 'Open Hogan"?

edelman has started a decline, it's not going to be off a cliff, but this season it shows throughout

I hate to say it but you can only ignore it for so long, we best be ready for M&M to be our #1 WR next year, Hogan is a good compliment, I think edelman would be able to do a good job for another couple of years but not as #1, not sure where that puts Danny

After last nights game and the combined pass-rush/secondary play, we might have to rename him to Check-Down Joe. He made some really great throws, but not enough and Brady was (and is) the far superior QB.
but, I heard once on a Baltimore radio show, Flacco is elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft