PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Branch is #4, Hernandez is #3.

This seems logical to me...converting Hernandez to WR full-time, Fells is TE2, Shiancoe (if he ever surfaces again) is TE3. I think the fact that Shiancoe is still around indicates that they still have plans for him this year. He may not be ready for week 1 but they don't need him immediately. Hernandez would take less of a pounding as a full-time WR. He already lined up there 70% of the time in 2011.

Oh mannn.....

Gaff was just shy of 1000 yards just last year too. He was so good with Brady in 07. I wanted to see more from those two.

Again, Gaffney's best season was just last year. Branch could barely outdo that level of production in his prime, let alone recently, let alone in the year to come....

I wouldn't use the word shocked that Gaffney was cut but I'm pretty surprised to be honest. Like you said he was coming off his best season. He's had some off the field stuff going on so maybe his heart isn't in football and its shown in his preparation etc.

I just don't see any other receiver we have being a better player than him outside of Lloyd and Welker if he's right.

Interesting!

I am guessing that Hernz is seen as more of a WR now!

Will Allen to IR, as well...

Very surprised to read this. Wow. I guess it was between him and Branch. I'm glad Branch won out. I really like the guy (Branch). TB and him have a great chemistry and he knows all the plays well. He;s on the LOS before TB finishes calling the play. Best of the oldtimers, IMO

Will Allen to IR, as well...

I can only think he is going to help out at practice mentoring the young CB otherwise why would we keep him on IR when he is on a 1yr contract and likely going to retire after this season.

Another huge disappointment. Hopefully this means that Edelman and/or Ebert are progressing well

I have been fairly unimpressed with Ebert so far. He seems to lack the quickness of Welker or Edelman. He seem like a logical PS candidate but has he shown enough to make the 53-man roster on a SB caliber team? Not so far, IMO.

This seems logical to me...converting Hernandez to WR full-time, Fells is TE2, Shiancoe (if he ever surfaces again) is TE3. I think the fact that Shiancoe is still around indicates that they still have plans for him this year. He may not be ready for week 1 but they don't need him immediately. Hernandez would take less of a pounding as a full-time WR. He already lined up there 70% of the time in 2011.

Makes all the sense in the world.

This. What good is great player who is never on the field.

'Great' is tossed around way too much. He's a 'great' tackler...he's also a liability in coverage at times and bites way too hard on play action...much too aggressive at times.

He's solid...when he gets on the field.

Oh mannn.....

Gaff was just shy of 1000 yards just last year too. He was so good with Brady in 07. I wanted to see more from those two.

Again, Gaffney's best season was just last year. Branch could barely outdo that level of production in his prime, let alone recently, let alone in the year to come....

I'm surprised. Thought The Hut had it made.

Belichick is certainly weeding out the old guys today.

Gaffney was a surprise but he is on the decline so its not shocking

What? He's just had his best season stats wise. I for one, thought he was a lock.

Ugh really disapointing. So Branch is #3 now?

More like #5 behind Welker, Lloyd, Hernandez and Gronkowski. Wow. The #5 option is a former Super Bowl MVP.

You gotta get on the field to have chance.

Belichick cut Gaffney and Stallworth now so that they could have a shot elsewhere. Both are an upgrade over the Jets #2 WR as receivers and over their #1 WR as individuals.

Last edited:
I have wondered if they would keep 4 TE maybe wait for Shinacoe to get healthy, they are playing a 2TE base and they can use a TE to flex in the backfield as a FB role use the wham block ect.

I never thought that both Gaffney and Stallworth would be cut. I will guess that Edleman isn't on the bubble.

The Jets are looking for a TE as well.

Not a lot of home run hitting, game breakers on this offense. Stallworth and Gaffney at least offered something in that department. Outside of Lloyd, what regular has that take it to the house ability?

I have been fairly unimpressed with Ebert so far. He seems to lack the quickness of Welker or Edelman. He seem like a logical PS candidate but has he shown enough to make the 53-man roster on a SB caliber team? Not so far, IMO.

I don't see it that way. I cant remember a rookies wide out that has picked it up as well as Ebert. Granted nothing earth shattering here as far as play on the field. But considering all the nfl vets that come through and cant pick up the playbook, that says a lot about his intelligence. Id say I'm impressed and look forward to his progress whether it on the 53 or practice squad.

Branch 2002 number 1. Edelman maybe 2

Last edited:
Stallworth is just gone. I still have to wonder if Gaffney is a wink-wink when you're healthy we'll resign you deal.

Stallworth is just gone. I still have to wonder if Gaffney is a wink-wink when you're healthy we'll resign you deal.

I agree. Zombie roster material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick