PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gabriel from Raiders to Pats!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole things seems a bit too good to be true---why would the Raiders give this guy up with 2 years left on his deal?!?

I'm bracing myself for the compensation being steep = 2nd round pick or a 3 + a 4...

mavfan2390 said:
Some more quotes from Raiders fans........

Looks like we found our numero uno reciever (Caldwell has looked inconsistent, Branch is gone for picks, Jackson is injured, and Brown is old).
What's even more fun are the guys saying they better be getting a Patriots' player in return, the list so far: Seymour, Graham, Green - I can't wait for them to mention Brady or Cassell!

And, one poster mention they would be bringing in Charles Rogers...:rofl:

scout said:
I like this trade. Gives the Patriots a big target with some speed. Someone who has "POTENTIAL". How do you know he's a steal when we don't know the compensation. Right now, its fourth down and goal from the 15 for the world championship. Who would you rather have catching the ball, Branch or Gabriel? I realize Branch is a goner, but I haven't forgotten his contributions. He was clutch. Until Gabriel or Johnson (steps onto the field) shows the consistent clutch grab, we don't know what we have. But I do like the trade.

Yes, clutch in two Super Bowls, average in the regular season. Just like Givens was. Let someone else pay slightly above average receivers huge money and maybe the Pats can rent them when they get to the Super Bowl. Unlike you, who probably doesn't even know who this guy is, I've watched him for the last seven years and he's gotten better each year, despite playing with some questionable quarterbacks. I'm not saying Branch is a stiff but with Gabriel and Jackson, the Patriots could have two big, fast receivers if things work out instead of a shrimp who can't get open against double coverage. That doesn't excite you at all? Seriously, I think people around here can attest that I don't just jump on board anything the Patriots do, I just really like this move. Man, you can't win around here. I'm going back to being negative. At least when you guys get mad over that, it makes me laugh.

Isaac said:
This whole things seems a bit too good to be true---why would the Raiders give this guy up with 2 years left on his deal?!?

I'm bracing myself for the compensation being steep = 2nd round pick or a 3 + a 4...

I'm figuring a third and another mid-round pick right now, considering he was going to start for the Raiders. High price if so, but I think he'll be worth it.

PatsRI said:
Check out the video a raiders fan shows us of Gabriel.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=174421#post174421

Thanks AndroidRaider24, must not be making too many friends on your own board though.
Nah people got thier own opinions... but its all good, im one of his biggest fans, im glad he finally gets chance to be a goto guy... and heres the gif if your too lazy to goto the link
02144722tnd9.gif
He made Bailey his ***** on that play :D

Last edited:
i was thinking about the kind of receiver that Ron Gabriel is. He is NOT a replacement fro Deon Branch. I think they have assigned the small quick duties to Troy and Bam. He appears to be more a big David Givens with perhaps more size and speed. He is the medium distance WR along with Reche Caldwell.

That leaves the deep routes to the inexperienced Chad Jackson. For a rookie running the go routes is about speed and simple routes,and not beyond the possibilities.

I think this was a well thought out acquisition to not only get an experienced #2, #3 WR, but one that fills a need to round out the talent mix on the five WR corps.

The Patriots were doing more than just a panic reflex. This was a carefully shopped acquisition.

Once again. Planning. I suspect this trade has been on the back burner for several weeks or more. If Reche had failed completely, they would have pulled the trigger and even if Branch returned they might have done it anyway.:D

having addressed the WRs, I wonder if they pickup a LB now? i suspect not because they can always recall Chad brown and Bruschi should be back in the next couple of weeks.

As Halberstams' book described, trades are the last and final way of filling team needs.:D

Last edited:
Congrats, Patsie* fans.. =/ Thought I'd log in to share my $0.02..

You got yourself a #1 WR for #3 money.. Best of luck to Gabs.. he's going to be a stud for you guys (which admittedly makes me a bit sick to my stomach). I'm thinking that we'll likely get a 2nd round pick for him and you'll replace that pick with the 2nd or 1st you'll get for "twiggy" (LOL).. so you basically get a better WR without the asshat attitude, with more upside, for less money.. feh. Not many in the Raidernation are too happy about this trade, but we've got enough talent logjammed at WR to afford to give up Gabs, I guess. It still hurts, but I think we'll see similar production from Curry or Morant.

If we wind up with a single 3rd round pick or worse for him, I think most of us will be a bit pissed on the whole deal. We're collectively holding our breath hoping for a Randy Moss / Doug Jolley kind of deal where we get plenty of value (perhaps more than we aught to) in negotiations.

We shall see!

Best,

~T.

Turo said:

You got yourself a #1 WR for #3 money.. Best of luck to Gabs.. he's going to be a stud for you guys (which admittedly makes me a bit sick to my stomach). I'm thinking that we'll likely get a 2nd round pick for him and you'll replace that pick with the 2nd or 1st you'll get for "twiggy" (LOL).. so you basically get a better WR without the asshat attitude, with more upside, for less money.. feh. Not many in the Raidernation are too happy about this trade, but we've got enough talent logjammed at WR to afford to give up Gabs, I guess. It still hurts, but I think we'll see similar production from Curry or Morant.

If we wind up with a single 3rd round pick or worse for him, I think most of us will be a bit pissed on the whole deal. We're collectively holding our breath hoping for a Randy Moss / Doug Jolley kind of deal where we get plenty of value (perhaps more than we aught to) in negotiations.

We shall see!

Best,

~T.

You guys sure did rape the jets for jolley I must say

cblesz said:
Would surely trade Branch to the Seahawks now. Would not deal with the Jets, period. Although it would be nice to send Deion to a crappy team. But, I do not want him to come back an haunt us. Send him to Seattle for a player and their first rounder which will be close to a second rounder, anyway. The Pats continue to amaze me. Do not cave into Branch. Send him packing...it will set precedent for any other ungrateful, greedy players in the organization who think they can hold the FO hostage.

I would send him to the Jets. If the Jets decided to pay him what the Seahawks are paying him ($7m+). There's no better way to keep your competition down than to have them overspend at a position that isn't going to help them. With a rag arm QB, it's like wasted money for the Jets. It actually hampers them and it takes a draft pick away. By the time thye get a decent QB, Mangini will be almost fired and Branch will be 30 years old.

Turo said:

We shall see!

Best,

~T.
Thanks for the note, and especially the hope that the pick sours some Raiderfan tummies. ;) Throw an egg at your Ben Dreith monument for me. :rocker:

Man is this team easy to root for. You never stay down long as a Pats fan these days, that's for sure.

It's one thing to fill a need, but another to fill a need with what, by all accounts, seems to be exactly the right guy at the right time. Will he pan out like that? Who knows, but this is about the best we could have hoped for and turned a negative into a positive with some pretty amazing speed.

Can you imagine what Gabriel must be thinking right now? Dude just won the lottery. He owes Branch a lifetime supply of Christmas cards.

Its a # 5!!!! We tucked it to them but good, again.

See Pats web site

I usually try to fight off overexuberance, but this seems like the PERFECT acquisition. The guy sounds like a bigger, faster David Givens with a great attitude. And the fact that he's been taking starting reps with a WR corps that strong is mighty encouraging. What's not to like? (Oh, the unknown compensation. I'm guessing that means it's a complex conditional pick. So maybe if Gabriel lights up the league we end up forfeiting as high as a #2? No complaints!)

One prediction for sure: if Gabriel fits in well, the team gets to work on a nice contract extention, early. :)

EDIT: a 5TH? for a starting receiver? you gotta be kidding me!

Last edited:
fgssand said:

See Pats web site

How can this be? Are we missing something? If it was not the Pats and not the Raiders I'd think they got one over on us.

A five?!?!? You've got to be kidding. I'd be OK with a 3rd rounder for Gabriel.

A fifth, though, I almost feel bad, like it was stealing or something, like Pioli caught Davis in a senior moment. That's an outrageously good deal.

Pioli probably kept them on the phone until the paperwork was turned in so they couldn't change their mind ...

fgssand said:

See Pats web site

I sure hope they're wrong on the "expected" bit.. still undisclosed officially. But..for a #5? I'll go frigging ballistic. :mad:

Prediction: 1000-1200 yards, 10-12 TDs and 75+ catches. For a 5th round pick? $%*(&#*(&$@~*(&!!!!!!!11!

Can't be. Just. Can't. Be.

Ugh. I think I'm gunna be sick.

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
Yes, clutch in two Super Bowls, average in the regular season. Just like Givens was. Let someone else pay slightly above average receivers huge money and maybe the Pats can rent them when they get to the Super Bowl. Unlike you, who probably doesn't even know who this guy is, I've watched him for the last seven years and he's gotten better each year, despite playing with some questionable quarterbacks. I'm not saying Branch is a stiff but with Gabriel and Jackson, the Patriots could have two big, fast receivers if things work out instead of a shrimp who can't get open against double coverage. That doesn't excite you at all? Seriously, I think people around here can attest that I don't just jump on board anything the Patriots do, I just really like this move. Man, you can't win around here. I'm going back to being negative. At least when you guys get mad over that, it makes me laugh.
WOW! Maybe you should re-read your thread. "I'm not saying Branch is a stiff but with Gabriel and Jackson"... What memorable catch has Jackson made in the pros that has given you a woody? I'll even give you preseason. Branch is a "shrimp" and a "twig", and has been just a slightly above receiver.
You know what, I'm excited about this year, but I haven't forgotten the past either. I'm sure Brady doesn't share your opinion on Branch's talent.

Just saw this posted on the Raiders forum

"Cuts haven't been announced yet but it appears that Danny Clark, Lance Johnstone, Duane Starks and O.J.Santiago have been cut, because they are not present at the practice."

I wonder if anyone will sign Starks, if he is indeed cut.

Also found this;

"Never mind on Pats website it says 5th rounder... we got robbed and killed."

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79294&page=10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye