PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gabriel from Raiders to Pats!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brownfan80 said:
Hey, Raidersfans, do NOT put a price on MY head, I just said your color scheme was depressing. That doesn't count as talking S*** does it?? DOES IT????????
Maybe they were talkin' about me saying it was a perfect example of why the Raiders suck. But it's true.

Hey, I'm just being objective ...

NEM said:
Check Out his pic

395962.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395962

I like the fact that 58 of his 71 catches went for first downs (over 80%) which is much higher thna a lot of other receivers. I wanted to compare it to you know who and he's not listed on the nfl.com players page. Weird......

I just went over to the raider site. What an....um....interesting (?) place that is. Remind me never to go to Oakland.

I do like what many of them have to say about Gabriel. Most are sad to see him go which tells me he is a player we will love. Great move by SP and BB!

PatsRI said:
I can see you googling his name and opening up this page. Mild surprise?
Who's to say I'm not just a HUGE Doug Gabriel fan. And may I say how thrilled I am that FINALLY he and Roy Clark are working together!

PlattsFan said:
Maybe they were talkin' about me saying it was a perfect example of why the Raiders suck. But it's true.

Hey, I'm just being objective ...

haha, yeah.... objective, right. ;)

They're fans too though, so I'm sure there emotional about it just like many of us are about the Twig issue.

New England gets WR Gabriel during Branch holdout

Associated Press
National Football League News Wire

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Wide receiver Doug Gabriel was traded Saturday from the Oakland Raiders to the New England Patriots, who faced the uncertainty of whether holdout Deion Branch will return.

The Raiders announced the deal, but did not say what they would receive as compensation.

Gabriel, who was scheduled to start across from Randy Moss, has 71 receptions in three seasons and fills a need on the Patriots even if Branch, their best receiver and the MVP of the 2005 Super Bowl, does return.

Before the trade, Tom Brady's top targets at wide receiver were Reche Caldwell and Troy Brown, both backups last season. Chad Jackson, the Patriots' second-round draft choice from Florida, has been sidelined nearly all summer with a hamstring injury. David Givens, the No. 2 wide receiver last year, signed with Tennessee as a free agent.

Branch, who has one year left on his contract worth $1.045 million, is holding out for more money and wasn't at the mandatory June minicamp or the official training camp. On Friday, the dispute took a significant turn when he filed a grievance against the Patriots.

They had given him one week, until 4 p.m. Friday, to negotiate contracts with other teams and seek a trade. The New York Jets reportedly offered him a six-year deal worth about $39 million and would send New England a second-round draft pick, the same round in which Branch was chosen in 2002. Seattle also was interested.

The grievance filed by the NFL Players Association alleges the Patriots "reneged" on an agreement to trade Branch, said Richard Berthelsen, the union's general counsel.

The grievance said that in allowing Branch to work out a contract with another team, the Patriots agreed they would trade him if he were comfortable with that contract and if the draft choice compensation for him "was commensurate with what has been the value of similar players," Berthelsen said in a telephone interview.

He said Branch was the 65th player drafted in 2002, one of the last in the second round, and that Miami sent a second-round pick to Minnesota before this season for quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

The Raiders had depth at wide receiver with Moss, Gabriel, Jerry Porter and Ronald Curry.

"Everybody came in thinking he was going to be a big part of the offense, so it was a big surprise," Curry said. "They didn't make that decision because of me. We've got some talented guys here, but I don't make those decisions. "

Gabriel is a downfield receiver with good hands, like Branch, but is 6-foot-2, 5 inches taller than Branch.

A fifth-round draft choice out of Central Florida in 2003, Gabriel has started seven of his 42 pro games. Last year, he had career highs of 37 catches for 554 yards and three touchdowns in 14 games, two of them starts.

Branch, who is subject to a $14,000 fine for each day he held out until the regular season, caught 78 passes for 988 yards and five touchdowns last year, all career highs. In his four seasons, he has 213 receptions for 2,744 yards and 14 touchdowns. In the 2005 Super Bowl he had 11 catches for 133 yards against Philadelphia as the Patriots won their third championship in four years.

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2570589

Last edited:
I guess we'll have to trust the Pats' front office on this one. I'm not sure about it.

Their record on personnel moves is becoming worse all the time. Starks, Hayes, Terrell, Warfield, Andre Davis, Tim Dwight... it seems like they're trying so hard to find guys they don't have to pay that they're consciously avoiding anyone with a big name. Gabriel may be good, may not be good, but wouldn't we all feel better if they'd dealt for someone we knew was good? When SD dealt for McCardell, their fans didn't have to go searching around the internet for news about him. They knew he was good. This guy seems like he's big, works hard, and has downfield speed, but can he hold up as a starting wideout on a championship caliber team? Who knows? We'll find out, but I'm not exactly thrilled right now.

Ungeheuer said:
I guess we'll have to trust the Pats' front office on this one. I'm not sure about it.

Their record on personnel moves is becoming worse all the time. Starks, Hayes, Terrell, Warfield, Andre Davis, Tim Dwight... it seems like they're trying so hard to find guys they don't have to pay that they're consciously avoiding anyone with a big name. Gabriel may be good, may not be good, but wouldn't we all feel better if they'd dealt for someone we knew was good? When SD dealt for McCardell, their fans didn't have to go searching around the internet for news about him. They knew he was good. This guy seems like he's big, works hard, and has downfield speed, but can he hold up as a starting wideout on a championship caliber team? Who knows? We'll find out, but I'm not exactly thrilled right now.

Man, even I had good things to say about this signing. :D

Ungeheuer said:

Uh, most of the fans on this thread have seen him play and think he's very good. I've been watching the guy play for quite a few years now, since soph in college. Not only that, but those other WRs you mentioned came to us either off the street or for 7th round draft choices. They weren't exactly well thought of by the rest of the league, were they?

This is different.

PatsRI said:
Do we lead in the all dreads team now? Asante, Maroney, Gabriel. Stone's gone but he was part of it too. Anyone I'm missing?

Corey Mays if he survives today's cuts.

QB12

Tomase chimes in:
Newest Patriots wideout Doug Gabriel looks like a player on the rise. He beat out the disgruntled Jerry Porter to win a starting spot alongside Randy Moss before the Raiders traded him to the Patriots yesterday for an undisclosed considerations.
The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Gabriel is a 2003 Central Florida grad. His receptions have increased in each of his first three seasons, from one as a rookie to 33 to 37 last year. He also has experience in the return game, with 86 career kickoff returns. He has four receptions for 51 yards and a touchdown in the preseason.
“Everybody came in thinking he was going to be a big part of the offense, so it was a big surprise,†Raiders wideout Ronald Curry told the Associated Press. “They didn’t make that decision because of me. We’ve got some talented guys here, but I don’t make those decisions.â€
For you fantasy fans out there, both ESPN and Fox Sports have listed Gabriel as a sleeper this season, citing the attention that would be paid Moss and Oakland’s pass-happy offense. There’s no Moss in New England, but Tom Brady looks a heckuva a lot better than Aaron Brooks.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/

Some more quotes from Raiders fans........

I am upset about this trade only because Gabriel seemed to be the receiver who had a propensity for getting us out of sticky situations. Something I haven't really seen from our other WR's except perhaps Curry. :-( So upset.

of all the wr's we have, gab's was the last that should have been traded in my opinion.

Maybe al traded him for a reversal on that tuck ruling???

If it PTBNL, it would be 6th or 7th round pick, what the heck, we are letting the good ones go, I don't get the plan. I wouldn't have been as pissed, if they had traded Gallery, but Gabriel why ?

Good luck to Doug Gabirel in New England, hope he gives the AFC East hell this year...

wow... can´t find words.... why Gabriel???

i agree this sucks and im pissed

I don't understand this trade at all. Its also why NE stays good. They now get a good player with a good attitude and can get back better picks then they give up by now trading a player with a bad attitude Branch.......

Looks like we found our numero uno reciever (Caldwell has looked inconsistent, Branch is gone for picks, Jackson is injured, and Brown is old).

I'm Ron Borges? said:
This is a great pickup. I have a close friend that went to Central Florida the same time Gabriel did so I've followed his career closely. I have no idea what the Raiders are doing trading him. It reminds me of fantasy football when a smart owner prays on the weak. I think Gabriel is one of those players ready to breakout. Granted, it will take him some time to grasp a new offense but once he does, he has the physical skills to put up better numbers than Branch in my opinion and I'm not taking anything away from Branch, I'm just really high on Gabriel. What a steal.
I like this trade. Gives the Patriots a big target with some speed. Someone who has "POTENTIAL". How do you know he's a steal when we don't know the compensation. Right now, its fourth down and goal from the 15 for the world championship. Who would you rather have catching the ball, Branch or Gabriel? I realize Branch is a goner, but I haven't forgotten his contributions. He was clutch. Until Gabriel or Johnson (steps onto the field) shows the consistent clutch grab, we don't know what we have. But I do like the trade.

Ungeheuer said:

I personally don't ever remember being optimistic about those guys you mentioned like I am with Gabriel. Anyway, with so many misses, the odds are in our favor :)

I also don't remember fans from their former teams posting what a great pick up it was.

Last edited:
Would surely trade Branch to the Seahawks now. Would not deal with the Jets, period. Although it would be nice to send Deion to a crappy team. But, I do not want him to come back an haunt us. Send him to Seattle for a player and their first rounder which will be close to a second rounder, anyway. The Pats continue to amaze me. Do not cave into Branch. Send him packing...it will set precedent for any other ungrateful, greedy players in the organization who think they can hold the FO hostage.

scout said:
. . . Right now, its fourth down and goal from the 15 for the world championship. Who would you rather have catching the ball, Branch or Gabriel? I realize Branch is a goner, but I haven't forgotten his contributions. He was clutch. . . .

Troy Brown made some impossible catches in our game-winning drive against Carolina in SB 38.

QB12

I like this move, a lot. I liked Gabriel coming out of college, and I like him now. Nice speed, not the most polished route runner from what I've seen, but he gets seperation and gets open. Decent hands too, right out of school. His production hasn't been bad, considering he's been behind some top receivers most of his career. Now let's hope the Raiders didn't bend the team over the barrel in terms of compensation, and the kid can develop a rapport with Brady in a hurry.

I love this trade!!

He's big strong and qucik and he's got dreads:cool:

Imagine D.G and MEion in the same room I don't think MEion would be in there for long :rofl:

Brady#12 said:
I love this trade!!

He's big strong and qucik and he's got dreads:cool:

Imagine D.G and MEion in the same room I don't think MEion would be in there for long :rofl:

What, you think Doug would -EAT- him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes