PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gabriel from Raiders to Pats!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to what the compensation will be. If it's a draft pick, it would probably depend on how Gabriel performs. Any guesses? I'm thinking a late round pick (5th or 6th?).

upstater1 said:
Gabirel is excellent. I saw this kid play for S. Miss his whole career and I thought he shoiuld have been drafted much higher.

He is solid but he was behind guys with egos and a rep in Oakland.

He played behind Moss, Jerry Rice and Porter.

He's a great #2. Instant upgrade.

Not to nit-pick but the bio says he went to UCF.

We'll see how he does now that he has a real QB throwing too him.

Not to nit pick but he played at UCF not S. Miss. In any event, I like it. Nice pick up

Sorry, I wrote the same time as you.

Last edited:
Pats0204 said:
Not to nit pick but he played at UCF not S. Miss. In any event, I like it. Nice pick up

Yeah, I knew that. Got the schools confused.

It looks like he was the #3 behind Moss and Porter.

"Sep 2 Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers, reports the Oakland Raiders have traded WR Doug Gabriel to the New England Patriots. The compensation for Gabriel has not been announced yet. Gabriel's departure would seem to leave the door open for WR Jerry Porter, who has requested a trade, to move back into the starting lineup."

PatsRI said:
WR from Oak
McDonald, of ANG Newspapers, reports the Oakland Raiders have traded WR Doug Gabriel to the New England Patriots. The compensation for Gabriel has not been announced yet. The Patriots, with starting WR Deion Branch in a rancorous holdout, were in the market for a receiver.

Player Bio:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6503

http://www.kffl.com/nfl/

PATSRI, on top of his game. Nice find. Nice pick up.

Could mean they are considering accepting a trade offer.

WRs would be Gabriel, Jackson, Caldwell, Childress, and ? Or, if they do sign Branch, the corp. just got VERY much better, VERY quickly.

Think the Patriots are buzy today?

Now, I have to scan the waiver wires for an ILB.:)

BTW, he was listed as the starting WR opposite Randy Moss on the Raiders most recent depth chart:

http://www.raiders.com/team/depth.jsp

This looks like a good pick-up to me. The Pats will be trying to patchwork it at WR this year, but between this guy and Chad Jackson's potential, the Pats may be in a position to seriously upgrade their receiving corps.

A note on scouts.com said Doug Gabriel has spent the early part of training camp working with the first unit offense. I also read he was a Gunner on ST for the Raiders.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
It looks like he was the #3 behind Moss and Porter.

"Sep 2 Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers, reports the Oakland Raiders have traded WR Doug Gabriel to the New England Patriots. The compensation for Gabriel has not been announced yet. Gabriel's departure would seem to leave the door open for WR Jerry Porter, who has requested a trade, to move back into the starting lineup."

So was he playing as the #2 during the preseason then? I never did watch any of the Raider's games.

Edit: Too much action on this thread, thanks lobster.

Last edited:
Forgetting someone? Don't you think that the "?" should be Troy Brown?

He's better than a 53 cutdown player. He's a #2/#3.

Ceresco said:
He has the potential to be pretty damn good IMO.

Guess we won't go after Charles Rogers now.

Typical Patriots player...lots of pottential not very well known and will come here and in a year or two will be aswell know as Givens and Branch for on the field reasons.

All because of one man Tom Brady and a bit of Belichick magic:rocker:

Now they need to button up the deal with Seahawks ( a first and a Middle pick) and give Gabriel #83 !

Nice. We just found John Taylor to replace Dwight Clark/Freddy Solomon in the 2nd regime.

he's 26 years old, a year younger than Branch.

After realizing that he was slated to play a lot for the Raiders, I'm thinking we might have given up a 3rd for him.

Well, when you're desperate, you have to do this sort of thing.

maverick4 said:
Nice. We just found John Taylor to replace Dwight Clark/Freddy Solomon in the 2nd regime.

LOL. Jackson is Jerry Rice?:rocker:

Kdo5 said:
lol.

Troy Brown
Reche Caldwell
Doug Gabriel
Chad Jackson
Bam Childress.

BEST RECIEVING CORE EVER! :rocker:

If we can get Jackson on the damn field, I think we'll be okay without Branch. Until the injuries start...

upstater1 said:
After realizing that he was slated to play a lot for the Raiders, I'm thinking we might have given up a 3rd for him.

Well, when you're desperate, you have to do this sort of thing.
The Pats gave up a 3rd for D. Starks. I'm thinking this will better if it is for a 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes