PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Front Seven - Could it be that easy to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
After too much analysis, I boiled it down. Although ILB is not a dire priority it is not like Guyton is going to the HOF.

Players listed in descending order of talent (Best player listed first)

Tried to stay with players the Pats have a reasonable shot at (Suh, McCoy, McClain, etc. are not listed).

Take one from each group (or double dip at OLB/DE):
a) 3 -4 DE - Carlos Dunlap, Jared Odrick, Arthur Jones, Cam Thomas, Brian Price, Tyson Alualu

b) 3-4 OLB/DE -Derrick Morgan, Jason Pierre-Paul, Brandon Graham, Jerry Hughes, Greg Hardy, Sergio Kindle

c) ILB - Brandon Spikes, Sean Weatherspoon, Micah Johnson

I come away with Hughes, Spikes and Odrick.

Front Seven looks like:

ROLB - Hughes, Crable
RDE - Pryor, Odrick
RILB - Spikes, McKenzie
NT - Wilfork, Brace
LILB = Mayo, Guyton
LDE -Warren, Wright
LOLB - Thomas, Woods

A lot of upside with good depth.

I'm assuming Thomas is gone. With no motivation, he's not worth the trouble.

Dunlap is not a 3-4 DE. He has the body but nothing else. He's an elephant OLB prospect, and not a bad one at that.

I think McKenzie is the SILB of the future. He was a solid 243 pounds at the combine with room to add weight. He also came out in nickel situations in college, so I'm assuming Bill doesn't plan to put him in coverage a lot. I don't see a problem with Mayo at WILB, McKenzie at SILB, Guyton in the nickel, and Alexander as STer or emergency depth.

2 OLBs, a DE, and an offensive player in those first 4 picks makes a lot of sense to me. I really hope at least one good OLB is brought in through a trade or free agency, though.

No FA help? Were letting TBC go? Not a fan but Id go JPP or Kindle, Spikes (because if we go OLB first Weatherspoon will likely be gone) and BPA DE (even though IMO its no more of a need than ILB.)

Totally agree with your thinking, but not so sure about the end result:

1) Not sure how you get Odrick, Hughes and Spikes with existing picks. How much are you moving around to get all 3?

2) Your roster has Spikes taking reps from McKenzie. What is your thinking on what McKenzie can contribute in 2010?

3) If AD is back, I'll be very surprised. If AD is willing to come into OTAs and camp with a new attitude and willing to assume a leadership role, I don't think Belichick will hold any kind of grudge. I just don't see AD being willing to completely buy in and muck in. If not, he is a diseased, non-essential part that must be removed for the rest of the pieces to thrive.

So how about this instead:

Go Odrick at #22, Hughes at #44 and Hardy at #53. Use #47 for the offense. Then use the 4th rounder for Micah Johnson (his numbers should suck at the combine), Mike McLaughlin (ditto), Sean Lee (if you want smaller/quicker type) or whoever else you like in this range. That leaves you with:

ROLB - Hughes, Crable
RDE - Odrick, Pryor
RILB - McKenzie, MJohnson/McLaughlin/Lee
NT - Wilfork, Brace
LILB = Mayo, Guyton
LDE -Warren, Wright
LOLB - TBC/Burgess/FA, Hardy

Not dramatically different from yours. Like I said, I dig your thinking.

Last edited:
After too much analysis, I boiled it down. Although ILB is not a dire priority it is not like Guyton is going to the HOF.

Players listed in descending order of talent (Best player listed first)

Tried to stay with players the Pats have a reasonable shot at (Suh, McCoy, McClain, etc. are not listed).

Take one from each group (or double dip at OLB/DE):
a) 3 -4 DE - Carlos Dunlap, Jared Odrick, Arthur Jones, Cam Thomas, Brian Price, Tyson Alualu

b) 3-4 OLB/DE -Derrick Morgan, Jason Pierre-Paul, Brandon Graham, Jerry Hughes, Greg Hardy, Sergio Kindle

c) ILB - Brandon Spikes, Sean Weatherspoon, Micah Johnson

I come away with Hughes, Spikes and Odrick.

Front Seven looks like:

ROLB - Hughes, Crable
RDE - Pryor, Odrick
RILB - Spikes, McKenzie
NT - Wilfork, Brace
LILB = Mayo, Guyton
LDE -Warren, Wright
LOLB - Thomas, Woods

A lot of upside with good depth.

We're in the same boat, my hope is that the first 3 picks are used on the defensive front 7 and God willing they'll all be good enough to stick around and be starters.

I'm hoping that they are able to sign Karlos Dansby, adding him would allow for more flexibility in their draft. Dreams of Mayo and Dansby on the inside with a mix of Graham/Kindle/Sapp/Hughes would help speed up time until kickoff in September for me.

Maybe not the first three. But certainly 3 of the first four. Mix in an Olineman and Im one happy camper.

1) Not sure how you get Odrick, Hughes and Spikes with existing picks. How much are you moving around to get all 3?

2) Your roster has Spikes taking reps from McKenzie. What is your thinking on what McKenzie can contribute in 2010?

3) If AD is back, I'll be very surprised. If AD is willing to come into OTAs and camp with a new attitude and willing to assume a leadership role, I don't think Belichick will hold any kind of grudge. I just don't see AD being willing to completely buy in and muck in. If not, he is a diseased, non-essential part that must be removed for the rest of the pieces to thrive.

Go Odrick at #22, Hughes at #44 and Hardy at #53. Use #47 for the offense. Then use the 4th rounder for Micah Johnson (his numbers should suck at the combine), Mike McLaughlin (ditto), Sean Lee (if you want smaller/quicker type) or whoever else you like in this range. That leaves you with:

ROLB - Hughes, Crable
RDE - Odrick, Pryor
NT - Wilfork, Brace
LILB = Mayo, Guyton
LDE -Warren, Wright

I appreciate the work and respect everyone's opinion. These combinations will not strike fear into the hearts of any offense in the NFL. Below are my ideas. Not perfect but a bigger stir of the kettle to shake things up.

The NFL offseason will have more player for player trades than ever before because of the end of the present CBA. There will be NBA types of deals and matching of contracts.

Cousins we need a much bigger impact. I admit there are some on my idea of a roster that I would like to upgrade soem might disagree with but they are my ideas and all feasible. The third annual Trade-a-Rama will be posted soon. These are some of those thoughts contained in there. New additions of trades and Draft choices in dark type:

ROLB - Sergio Kindle, Crable
RDE - Warren, Brace, Wright
RILB - Brandon Spikes, McKenzie
NT - Wilfork, Terrance Cody
LILB = Mayo, Guyton
LDE -Osi Umenyiora, Corey Wooten, TBC
LOLB - Cris Gocong, Ninkovitch

Umenyiora wants out of NYG to start. The G-Man are desperate for DT help and Saftey help. We have to give up quality to get quality. I trade Myron Pryor and James Sanders for Osi in a minute.

The Eagles run a 4-3. Gocong is a very fast young player at 262 lbs and could be the next Vrabel here as he is more suited to the 3-4. The Eagles could take a flyer on AD to get a better suited LB for their team concept. The Eagles would like to move Gocong. Perhaps with a Wheatley (Hobbs is a FA) or a pick. At the end of the day, the Eagles want to move him.

If we can't get Spikes I would take a one or two year shot with Antonio Pierce if he checks out. Great leadership!

Kindle at #22
Wooten at #44
Cody at#47
Spikes at #53 (or perhaps G Jon Asamoah if we miss Spikes and if so, pick up Pirece for a couple of years until McKenzie is ready)

At some time Guyton could go OLB.

DW Toys

Last edited:
I appreciate the work and respect everyone's opinion. These combinations will not strike fear into the hearts of any offense in the NFL. Below are my ideas. Not perfect but a bigger stir of the kettle to shake things up.

You certainly shook up the defense, but what team are you trying to defend against? You have an amazing goal line formation, but the Pats spend about 50% of their snaps in sub formations. If I'm the Colts, Chargers, Steelers or a handful of other teams, I can pretty much see to it that Brace, Spikes, Cody and Wooten are either inactive or on the sideline much of the game. That is four 2nd round picks not playing big parts in games against the top teams in the conference.

The Colts and Chargers don't even pretend to run anymore and the Steelers are trending in that direction as well. Why not spend those picks on players that can actually stay on the field against spread, 3/4 WR sets? If you are trying to be more stout against the Jets, Ravens and Titans, that's fine but it seems to me that you are looking in the wrong direction.

ROLB - Hughes, Crable
RDE - Odrick, Pryor
NT - Wilfork, Brace
LILB = Mayo, Guyton
LDE -Warren, Wright

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I might prefer Graham over Hughes though.

I don't know what we have in McKenzie, as I've never seen him play, but I assume he was the SILB of the future from reading up on him. Hopefully he is healthy and will be able to contribute.

I know AD was unhappy with his role and I doubt he's back, but I still think he'd make a good SILB for us. He's definitely strong enough IMO to stack and shed and he was basically a 2-down player for us last year. You could have him at SILB on early downs and bring in Guyton as a coverage LB. I don't think he'd want to play this position based on his comments about "playing good soldier" when he was asked to move inside in 07, but it's a thought. I would think he'd be able to add some

I think this is the make or break season for Crable. He's gotta be able to stay healthy and make the active gameday roster. Hopefully he can come in and give a boost to our pass rush like so many of us had hoped. I just have a feeling he's going to have a good year, I don't know why. I'd love to see Hardy or Sapp added, but my favorite OLB prospect is Hardy.

I'm content letting Wright have the RDE job. He's not Seymour, but I think he earned it with last years performance. Typical blue collar guy. We have Pryor, Brace, and Richard but I wouldn't mind a DL being added in round 2 or later, maybe someone like Carrington.

Wait... Crable is still on the team?

The only front seven guys that need to leave are Jarvis Green and Adalius Thomas. Ninkovich is in; Crable is out, he doesn't have the agility to play here. Woods is still in. TBC was our best LB/DE by far. Draft a guy that is closer to a finished product. I like Derrick Morgan but I think he's gone by 22. I like Graham or Morgan if he's there. Greg Hardy or Worilds in round two.

Mike Wright sucks against the run, but he is the only DL guy that gets pressure. We need Brace and/or Pryor to step up. We need At least on DL guy that can get pressure and play well on run downs. Last year was a game of duck, duck, goose. I think Dunlap can play on the line for us. I'd also like Bryan Price and Lamaar Houston.

I'm not as worried about ILB. Just keep the current guys and maybe FA/Jag for that.

Last edited:
LILB = Mayo, Guyton

At some time Guyton could go OLB.

DW Toys

Osi would play OLB, not DE, in a 3-4. And Guyton cannot play outside. He's too small to set the edge and not good enough of a pass rusher.

Wouldn't the acquisition of Peppers radically change this exercise?

I mean that in the best way, o'course.....

Last edited:
LILB = Mayo, Guyton

Kindle at #22
Wooten at #44
Cody at#47
Spikes at #53 (or perhaps G Jon Asamoah if we miss Spikes and if so, pick up Pirece for a couple of years until McKenzie is ready)

Just a tweak, but trade Wilfork to KC for the #5 pick and take ILB McClain. Move Brace to backup Mt. Cody in the middle.

At #53 take OG Mike Johnson of Alabama instead of Spikes.

New two deep:

RDE - Warren, Wright
RILB - Rolanda McClain, McKenzie
NT - Terrance Cody, Brace
LILB = Mayo, Guyton
LDE -Osi Umenyiora, Corey Wooten
LOLB - TBC, Ninkovitch

Last edited:
re-sign wilfork, and TBC. sign Marcus Spears, draft Sergio Kindle, in the first round. draft Jerry Hughes, in the 2th round. and draft Arthur Jones, in the 2the round. and you will have a front 7 that looks like this.

Marcus Spears, starting at RDE with Arthur Jones, Myron Pryor, and wright. as back up's

wilfork starting at NT with brace, and wright at back up's

Ty Warren. starting at LDE with Arthur Jones, Myron Pryor, and wright. as back up's

Sergio Kindle, starting at ROLB with Jerry Hughes, woods. and crable as back up's

Jerod Mayo, starting at RILB with Tyrone McKenzie, and Rob Ninkovich, as back up's

Gary Guyton, starting at LILB with Tyrone McKenzie, and Rob Ninkovich, as back up's

Tully Banta-Cain starting at LOLB with Jerry Hughes, woods. and crable as back up's

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes