PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fronczak has us taking Knowshon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Riddler

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
This would be a complete shock to me, I know BB drafts for value, but doing this and admitting the Maroney mistake would take huge ones.........

23. New England Patriots - Knowshon Moreno HB Georgia ...Moreno will be a surprise pick to some, but the Patriots have reportedly had their eye on Moreno for quite some time...The Patriots have an abundance of picks to fill their other needs on the defensive side of the ball.

Fronczak's latest mock

2009NFLDraft

Last edited:
I like Knowshon, but this would be a stupid pick. The better value would be taking a DE/OLB in Larry English.

I like Knowshon, but this would be a stupid pick. The better value would be taking a DE/OLB in Larry English.

As do I but Larry English could possibly be around at #34. The need between #23 and #34 at RB is Higher than the need at OLB/DE or just DE. A RB like Knowshon is much harder to come by in this draft. IMO Knowshon and Brown are the two best backs for our system.

I like Moreno and Wells. I'll never argue their pre draft value. They seem like they will be solid NFL running backs, maybe even great, but give me a break. Maroney,Morris,Faulk,Taylor and BJ Green are pretty much an abundance already.

Whenever I see a mock draft that has the Pats taking Knowshon or Wells with the first pick, the first thing I think of is that the person who put the mock together spends too much time on fantasy football and not enough on real football. At least Fronczak didn't repeat the myth that the Pats have no running game, but I would be shocked if they take a RB at #23.

Whenever I see a mock draft that has the Pats taking Knowshon or Wells with the first pick, the first thing I think of is that the person who put the mock together spends too much time on fantasy football and not enough on real football.
:confused:

A fantasy football player would put Moreno on a team where he could get more carries as opposed to a guy who'd be a "future" pick.

With Taylor and Faulk old, and Maroney being hurt so much this is a fully reasonable pick IMO especially as Moreno is a Belichick type competitor. With so many pick, unless we can trade up or out then we likely will make some depth/bpa picks that don't seem to help us much right now.

A couple of others have us drafting RB Don Brown.

Belichick's not angry enough at the fan base to punish us by drafting Moreno, or Brown, with that first pick.

OK, I have a new candidate for the worst analysis of the year.

Belichick cares about winning games and SuperBowls, not have the popularity of the first pick with the fan base. I recall a draft in which the vast majority wanted wide receiver Terrell. Belichick was angry enough at the fan base to draft Seymour.

We've complained about our running game for years, and especially at the lack of depth. Woould it really be terrible to go into 2009 with Taylor, Morris, Brown, Faulk and Maroney as our five?

Belichick's not angry enough at the fan base to punish us by drafting Moreno, or Brown, with that first pick.

OK, I have a new candidate for the worst analysis of the year.

Belichick cares about winning games and SuperBowls, not have the popularity of the first pick with the fan base. I recall a draft in which the vast majority wanted wide receiver Terrell. Belichick was angry enough at the fan base to draft Seymour.

We've complained about our running game for years, and especially at the lack of depth. Woould it really be terrible to go into 2009 with Taylor, Morris, Brown, Faulk and Maroney as our five?

The part about the anger at the fan base was a joke...

And, yes, it would be terrible if they took a running back with the team's first pick.

P.S. I never wanted Terrell. I'm one of those people in the minority who would almost never take a wide receiver in the top 10 of the draft.

Last edited:
The part about the anger at the fan base was a joke...

And, yes, it would be terrible if they took a running back with the team's first pick.
THAT was a joke? Now you're just joshing us, you've always been the most sober of posters with a relentless humorlessness almost robotic for it's forthright stoicism. :snob:

THAT was a joke? Now you're just joshing us, you've always been the most sober of posters with a relentless humorlessness almost robotic for it's forthright stoicism. :snob:

You're absolutely correct. I truly believe that BB determines his course of action by what will be most acceptable to the fan base. It's why such fan pleasing moves as cutting Milloy just before the start of the season occur. BB is ALL about placating the masses with every move he makes.;)

You're absolutely correct. I truly believe that BB determines his course of action by what will be most acceptable to the fan base. It's why such fan pleasing moves as cutting Milloy just before the start of the season occur. BB is ALL about placating the masses with every move he makes.;)
He's also very fashion conscious.

:confused:

A fantasy football player would put Moreno on a team where he could get more carries as opposed to a guy who'd be a "future" pick.

With Taylor and Faulk old, and Maroney being hurt so much this is a fully reasonable pick IMO especially as Moreno is a Belichick type competitor. With so many pick, unless we can trade up or out then we likely will make some depth/bpa picks that don't seem to help us much right now.

I guess I should have expanded on my original comment.

Your analysis above makes pefect sense. I somewhat 'knee-jerked' to the thread title not because of Fronczak's reasoning (or yours), but due to the majority of other mock drafters that I have happened to have seen that also happen to have the Pats taking a RB. Those that fit in both of those two categories (mock drafter/Pats take a RB at 23) have generally offered very little insight, and seem to be under the impression that because LoMo ranked low statistically (i.e., fantasy stats) in comparison to other RBs that the Pats had/have no running game. For example, I've seen comments like 'the Pats did not have a top ten RB last year' and 'Brady was forced to throw the ball in 2007 due to no running game', etc. That is the the kind of uninformed opinion that caused me to knee-jerk in response to Fronczak's opinion.

P.S. I never wanted Terrell. I'm one of those people in the minority who would almost never take a wide receiver in the top 10 of the draft.
Now that I would agree on. If your team is bad enough to be picking in the top ten, then you don't need a WR with your first pick. The only way a WR in the top ten should ever be a consideration is if the team happened to get that pick because of a trade the previous year, to give them two selections in the first round - and even then that may be a stretch.

Now that I would agree on. If your team is bad enough to be picking in the top ten, then you don't need a WR with your first pick. The only way a WR in the top ten should ever be a consideration is if the team happened to get that pick because of a trade the previous year, to give them two selections in the first round - and even then that may be a stretch.

Well, if there's a Calvin Johnson available, I'm taking him. However, when I look at positional value/draft need in my mind, WR is down the list. It's a position where later picks can get the job done and, if not, there always seems to be a few available in free agency or via trade.

Last edited:
Moreno is not at all an unreasonable pick. If they think he's going to be a great back, why not pick him? Because we need an outside linebacker?

What if they love Moreno and also have positive grades on players like Jason Williams, Tyrone McKenzie, Sidbury and Cody Brown -- but have concerns about first-round players like Maualuga, Matthews, and English? In that case you take Moreno in the first and get your linebacker(s) later.

It's all about the evaluation. If they think Moreno is the tenth best player in the draft and the best on the board when they pick, why not take him? That's why having three second-rounders is so key. It allows them to throw need out the window in the first round.

Moreno is not at all an unreasonable pick. If they think he's going to be a great back, why not pick him? Because we need an outside linebacker?

What if they love Moreno and also have positive grades on players like Jason Williams, Tyrone McKenzie, Sidbury and Cody Brown -- but have concerns about first-round players like Maualuga, Matthews, and English? In that case you take Moreno in the first and get your linebacker(s) later.

It's all about the evaluation. If they think Moreno is the tenth best player in the draft and the best on the board when they pick, why not take him? That's why having three second-rounders is so key. It allows them to throw need out the window in the first round.

Ab-so-forkin-lutely

Spot on - You could make a case that Taylor, Faulk and Morris are old, Maroney is a doubt and BGJE is backup. If you could then get a franchise RB who is the BPA at #23 and he can immediately add something else to the offense then why wouldnt you? You could still get an OLB and S in round 2 and some OL later on

Plus who knows if someone like Faulk isnt going to get cut/traded to make room for Peppers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes