PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

From Reddit: Visual analysis of two Derby catches vs. CHI

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has, by far, out shined the other TE backups.......Keep it up A.J !!

Derby is the rare case of what happens when all of the best case scenarios resolve in a binky's favor and his potential matches his production.

End result is we end up with a player.

I have not seen a lot of his routes, but I think we have to be careful about confusing spectacular catches with the ability to get open. Right now I am seeing more of former than the latter. Remember Zack Sudfeld?

I'm really developing a man crush on Derby. He is the anti-Dobson. Shows up to make a big play, uses his body, fights through contact, reliable securing the ball.

what was the name of that TE we all fell in love with a couple of years ago that was a straight up beast in the preseason and then it turned midnight and he turned back into a pumpkin?

im trying not to get too hyped about this kid just in case.

Interesting to note that Jimmy opted to go to Derby who was doubled covered instead of Dobson who was open by 3 yards on the TD pass.

Dobson is so done in NE. Ya he may be here the first few games if Mitchell can't go but he will be done once Mitchell can go

Last edited:
what was the name of that TE we all fell in love with a couple of years ago that was a straight up beast in the preseason and then it turned midnight and he turned back into a pumpkin?

im trying not to get too hyped about this kid just in case.

Think this will be slightly different though if he sticks.

Sudeld in 2013 was pretty much thrust into the fire because Gronk was on PUP and the other TE was Hoomanawanui

As it stands right now Derby would be behind Gronk and Bennett

Think this will be slightly different though if he sticks.

Sudeld in 2013 was pretty much thrust into the fire because Gronk was on PUP and the other TE was Hoomanawanui

As it stands right now Derby would be behind Gronk and Bennett

Correct. Derby has some stiff competition at TE that Sudfeld did not have, and BB has already given positive mention of Derby for his blocking. I don't recall Sudfeld was much of a blocker.

Derby has a chance to be a complete TE.

Did anyone else notice in the video clip of the Pats post-game locker room, when the video starts Bob Kraft has just finished congratulating Derby?

People need to realize that this season will be Derby's third year of his life ever playing TE (and he was out for 2015).

He may be the most impressive player of camp when you put his performance in perspective. Our come out of nowhere breakout star may be our 3rd TE. BB will get the best players on the field especially when all three of our TEs can be split out wide or play the slot.

With Lewis and Vollmer off the roster forecast, there's room for 4 TEs on the 53-man. Solves the problem of choosing between Harbor and Derby-- keep em both.

There are power formations with 4TE and 1RB that would be transformed if the 4 TEs are Gronk, Bennett, Harbor and Derby. Instead of a goal line formation with extra OTs as eligible, we can fill that formation with run blocking TEs that are legitimately dangerous in the passing game. It makes the 4TE set relevant anywhere on the field. I challenge any defense to find enough LBs and SSs to match up against that formation for both Run and Pass.

With all the TEs the Pats have drafted and signed in FA over the years (Bear Pascoe and Scott Chandler not to be forgotten), you have to think that BB and JM have been trying to stack this position more than 2 players deep for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft