PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Frank Clark: Patriots Dynasty Dead...Chiefs "New Dynasty"

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as they have Mahomes & good coaching/fo, they'll be more than fine.

It's not like the team is made up of 1st Rd picks all over the place. And the ones that were are replaceable by in large except of course Mahomes. Hill, Hardman, Kelce, late Rd RB etc..

No reason to think that replicate this again. Or even improve if they get a lil lucky on D.

And like you said in 4-5 years Mahomes contract won't look bad at all. Every other position, even some QBs, its a 2-3 year league/contract.

Also for anyone thinking it's going to put them in cap hell lol. We're about to pony up 30m per for Brady in close to his mid 40's. Paying Mahomes 40 at 24, locking him up doesn't sound too bad at all right about now looking around the league.

No one’s saying they are going into cap hell.

They have a prime opportunity for the next 1-2 years to really maximize on Mahomes minimal cap space. Even though his contract won’t look as massive a few years into it, you’re still talking about a rookie contract being <5% of the cap versus a veteran contract being ~20%. Since the last CBA and the rookie salary scale, this has been the most cap-proof a team can possibly be in having the league’s best QB practically playing for free with the an entire cap to support him. They are okay even overpaying for some guys like Watkins as long as that gets the talent they need.

Rams did something similar in recognizing last year was Goff’s final rookie discount season and went all-in. Of course, Mahomes is much better than Goff. But just pointing out the different approaches to building the roster based on the QB’s status. It does make a big difference with the flexibility.

I think the Chiefs will still be a good team after they extend him and have to take the hits at some point, but as you said, that’s when it will be more dependent on coaching/front office, or in some rare cases (Green Bay!!!) the quarterback being open to team efficiency ahead of personal accomplishments.

speaking of having to take hits one day, nobody had anything against him in 2019. Hell, the other teams were probably rooting for him. Fresh face. Great young kid.

Now he's won something.

And he's a running quarterback.

Hell, Balmer might cripple him because he's not their running quarterback.

Don't blame me, I like the kid.

It is harder to defend your title than to win it. A lot of teams are now going to treat the KC game as a measuring stick and leave it all out on the field. Injuries are always an issue not to mention the other teams in their division may do a complete 180 and improve

As long as they have Mahomes & good coaching/fo, they'll be more than fine.

It's not like the team is made up of 1st Rd picks all over the place. And the ones that were are replaceable by in large except of course Mahomes. Hill, Hardman, Kelce, late Rd RB etc..

No reason to think that replicate this again. Or even improve if they get a lil lucky on D.

And like you said in 4-5 years Mahomes contract won't look bad at all. Every other position, even some QBs, its a 2-3 year league/contract.

Also for anyone thinking it's going to put them in cap hell lol. We're about to pony up 30m per for Brady in close to his mid 40's. Paying Mahomes 40 at 24, locking him up doesn't sound too bad at all right about now looking around the league.

Whatever Mahomes gets it will be a huge increase over what he's getting now and will probably have some impact on their overall roster.

I'll also be curious to see how effective Mahomes will be if he doesn't end up with as many offensive weapons as he has now.

Going forward, it doesn't look like Mahomes will have as much competition at QB as Brady has had over the years but time will tell on that.

When Mahomes gets his 39M/year raise, then Chris Jones gets paid and they can't afford 14M/year for Watkins as their 4th WR and have to let some other defenders walk Clark is going to find out how hard it is to keep it going.

They have 19M in cap room right now but Jones alone is estimated to get a 19M/year contract. Sure they can back load the Jones and Mahomes deals but that's going to give them a really short window.

Kansas City Chiefs 2020 Salary Cap

In the cap era even great teams like the 90's Cowboys cannot sustain it for longer than a short window. The Pats are a pure anomaly because of a convergence of greatness.

Clark is why I was rooting for the 49ers

zzz...

Anytime someone says they are the new Patriots, they're the new dynasty, passing the tourch, etc., it's essentially giving the Patriots the highest praise possible.

When Mahomes gets his 39M/year raise, then Chris Jones gets paid and they can't afford 14M/year for Watkins as their 4th WR and have to let some other defenders walk Clark is going to find out how hard it is to keep it going.

They have 19M in cap room right now but Jones alone is estimated to get a 19M/year contract. Sure they can back load the Jones and Mahomes deals but that's going to give them a really short window.

Kansas City Chiefs 2020 Salary Cap

In the cap era even great teams like the 90's Cowboys cannot sustain it for longer than a short window. The Pats are a pure anomaly because of a convergence of greatness.

I can't see them keeping Watkins and Jones, not to mention Breeland and Kendall Fuller.

Um, next year every team gets to play their super bowl against KC. Everyone wants a raise. All your coaching assistants become targets. Eventually Mahomes wants to be paid.

Don't get me wrong. Mahommes is good. KC will always be a contender like whatever team had Peyton.

Patriots fans - The AFC sucks
Patriots fans - Lamar Jackson is a gimmick who gets figured out in the playoffs
Patriots fans - The Patriots need to let Brady go and rebuild

Also Patriots fans - KC isn't going to be a dynasty, because .... ???

rofl.gif
I assume you are trolling, but assuming you are sincere. Tell me I did not hear this for the Bucs after xxxvii; change the roman numerals and the team for every non-Patriots super bowl winner. I'd take any one as an answer and you'll win the Internet.

That said, it is possible after they catch all the monkeys flying out of my butt. :) OK, more possible than that, but I exaggerated the same way you ignored people posting why before you.

I assume you are trolling, but assuming you are sincere. Tell me I did not hear this for the Bucs after xxxvii; change the roman numerals and the team for every non-Patriots super bowl winner. I'd take any one as an answer and you'll win the Internet.

That said, it is possible after they catch all the monkeys flying out of my butt. :) OK, more possible than that, but I exaggerated the same way you ignored people posting why before you.
The best (worst?) examples I can think of were Indy, GB, Seattle and Philly.

Indy had Manning. A surefire dynasty. 'nuff said.

GB had a young MVP QB. Of course he would be winning more Super Bowls!

Philly won the Super Bowl with a backup. Wentz was having an MVP caliber season so when they get him back, they might dominate the NFL for years!!

And Seattle? They were coming off a 43-8 butt whupping of Denver, they had a young Russell Wilson and a historically dominant defense.

The above 4 teams have a combined 0 championships and 2 SB appearances since having won it the one time.

Could you try posting this again, this time in English?

I stopped posting and reading the thread, because the posts were getting too ridiculous to read. I'm only responding to you because it was the first "quoted" that I read in my alerts, today. And, wouldn't you know it? It's a post where the first half is in drunkenese.

Ah yes, the eagle dynasty, the giant dynasty, seahawks dynasty. When you win the superbowl it's easy to think that you will be back every year until reality sinks in.

Ah yes, the eagle dynasty, the giant dynasty, seahawks dynasty. When you win the superbowl it's easy to think that you will be back every year until reality sinks in.

It's tough to win multiple Super Bowls. And, yet, the 2010s are, so far, the first decade where it didn't happen at least once

60's - Packers
70's - Dolphins, Steelers
80's - 49ers
90's - Cowboys, Broncos
00's - Patriots

It's tough to win multiple Super Bowls. And, yet, the 2010s are, so far, the first decade where it didn't happen at least once

60's - Packers
70's - Dolphins, Steelers
80's - 49ers
90's - Cowboys, Broncos
00's - Patriots

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but I kinda remember the Patriots doing it. Right?

No one’s saying they are going into cap hell.

They have a prime opportunity for the next 1-2 years to really maximize on Mahomes minimal cap space. Even though his contract won’t look as massive a few years into it, you’re still talking about a rookie contract being <5% of the cap versus a veteran contract being ~20%. Since the last CBA and the rookie salary scale, this has been the most cap-proof a team can possibly be in having the league’s best QB practically playing for free with the an entire cap to support him. They are okay even overpaying for some guys like Watkins as long as that gets the talent they need.

Rams did something similar in recognizing last year was Goff’s final rookie discount season and went all-in. Of course, Mahomes is much better than Goff. But just pointing out the different approaches to building the roster based on the QB’s status. It does make a big difference with the flexibility.

I think the Chiefs will still be a good team after they extend him and have to take the hits at some point, but as you said, that’s when it will be more dependent on coaching/front office, or in some rare cases (Green Bay!!!) the quarterback being open to team efficiency ahead of personal accomplishments.

The Rams paying Gurley was their bigger cap mistake.

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but I kinda remember the Patriots doing it. Right?

You're correct, as I worded my comment poorly. I meant multiple in the sense of a repeat or more.

Packers won in 66 + 67
Dolphins won in 72 + 73
etc...

If we're just talking about teams winning multiple times in a decade (as I stupidly wrote), rather than repeats, we'd need to add

70s - Dallas and Oakland
80's - Washington and NYG
10's - Patriots

So my mistake, and thanks for pointing it out.

2 SBs is not a dynasty.
Nobody considers the Broncos a dynasty
You gotta win 3 of 4 or 3 of 5.
There are short and long term dynasties.
The 2 long term dynasties are the 80's Niners and the incredible 20 year run of the Patriots.
The short term dynasties are the 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's Niners, early 90's Cowboys, 01-04 Patriots and 14-18 Patriots.
I don't make the rules. The above is what is generally accepted by all football pundits.
So KC had a looong way to go. They win 2 of the next 3 they can be added to the list.

the literal point of my post is that dynasty possibilities shouldn’t start until a 2nd title is won because it takes atleast 3 to be a dynasty

the literal point of my post is that dynasty possibilities shouldn’t start until a 2nd title is won because it takes atleast 3 to be a dynasty

I'm not arguing with your position, and I think you're on to something with the bold, but I do want to point out that what constitutes an NFL dynasty is a matter of opinion, and there's no rule requiring 3 titles.

This is both 2 lil dynasties and 1 big fat mondo dynasty. I believe it's the latter for several reasons.

First, you gotta factor in the "enormous shadow across the league" factor in the 10s especially. The default outcome in the 10s was the Patriots were in the SB every year. (5 years in the last 10). In the first decade of the millennium, they were more "bunched," 3 out of 4 then the 1 loss. It seemed they had "gone away." You could call it the 3-of-5 dynasty and the 3-of-4 dynasty, except all the AFCCs that sort of filled out the Bills-like embargo on the AFC spot.

Second, there's the "will these guys EVER die" factor. Frankly, I am betting that much of the league is secretly afraid right now that they were right the first time ("Tom Brady... system quarterback.")

I think we've finally gotten to the place where TB's cap number makes it impossible to give him the needed weapons, and there's nowhere to run to to get more cap breaks. And I just don't see BB giving up the good stuff he's built on D... but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing