PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriots staffer Michael Lombardi joins Bill Simmons to talk Belichick, Garoppolo, Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.
To explain: I don't open many threads, maybe 5 or so in the past. Whenever I make any post, I tend to write and re-write the words and spend much time agonizing over the exact language (I am primarily a scientific writer and I am used to being very careful with my words). I started the thread (something I am not familiar with) and then worked and re-worked the words in the original post, as is my habit with all of my writing. By the time I eventually posted it, someone else had done so, and I didn't realize it until after I posted. I am just a very, very slow writer, who tries to think about what I say. I guess I would make a lousy blogger. ;)
Good writing isn't necessarily fast writing, in fact in my experience, very accomplished "writers" take quite awhile to produce work. I stopped beating myself up for being slow a year or two ago.

I am not expert so cant help you, but someone said that Stork put his head up, but in the last regular season game in Miami he didnt, his silent snap count was ok. Was stork nervous or something?

If nothing else, Lombardi's insider's comments on the snap count problem drives home the idea that the tragedy of last season was losing the Eagles and/or Jets games and not having home field for the entire playoffs. Game at Foxborough means you have no need for the silent snap count, Denver means you do. I still don't get the passive way those games were dealt with. It seems so out of character for the Patriots.

When someone "takes all your money" at a game, they've kicked your ass, whether it's because they've absolutely crushed you once, or it's because they've beaten you routinely, it's the same in the end. If this is the hill you want to die on though, you go for it. Whatever floats your boat...

I'm aware you're adept at winning the internet since you spend quite a bit of time on it, but I'll go with what I saw, though. I can assure you that this is pretty much the media making a big deal out of nothing.

If there is one weakness in Brady's game, it's downfield vertical passing. He was almost a better deep ball thrower in his younger days (the OT throw to Trou Brown @Miami).
JG's deep throw to wide open Hogan was perfectly in stride. One pass doesn't make him "better" than TB12 in the deep passing game, but I can see Lombardi's point.
What Lombardi said makes sense to me. Jimmy G seem to get more air under his deep ball and Brady's is more on a line making it harder to catch.

I would pay good money to hear some of the conversations with BB, Lombardi, Caserio, Patricia, McDaniels, etc. behind closed doors.

They must have so much fun seeing how inept the majority of the NFL is at constructing their rosters. Probably have a field day ****ting on Goodell and Co. with all of the failed attempts at limiting the Patriots success, too.

I did think the excerpt about committing to the run after the Denver loss was interesting. The Pats (much to the chagrin of 90% of the board) didn't do anything externally to bolster the run game. I think we all thought they would at least draft a back in the mid round or bolster the OL with some more power. Were they investing that much hope in Scar to be able to revolutionize our run blocking to make it a respectable unit? Maybe that and the combination of Lewis returning and a healthy Blount would be enough? Or maybe committing to the run during games instead of abandoning it once two runs don't work and we're down 7 points?

Who knows but I thought that was an interesting little nugget of insight into what the coaching staff was thinking after Denver.

It was really good, highly recommended.

Really noteworthy, he said as the Pats walked off the field after the loss in the AFC title game that they knew their number one priority in the offseason was to improve the running game and not let opposing Ds stay in nickel all game.

I really wish Simmons would have followed up on that because I don't really see how they accomplished that (LGB's decent outing in week 1 notwithstanding). Obviously bringing back Scar helps everything, but they didn't seem to do too much on personnel to improve the running game. So maybe there's more behind the scenes that could have been told.
I should have just responded to your post instead of typing away without reading the initial responses, TB_Helmet. My bad. I thought the exact same thing.

I very much doubt they were relying on a run of the mill back in Brown and a 3rd round OG to make teams respect the run. My thinking is it was a combo of Scar, return of Lewis/healthy Blount and gameplan.

Great podcast.

His comments on Jimmy G:
Why couldn't Jimmy be born 4-5 years later with the same draft outcome? There's going to be one hell of a tough decision BB has to make this coming offseason.

Jeez, if Jimmy goes 4 - 0 and just keeps playing better, the Pats will have a QB controversy on their hands. I the AZ he had tight spirals virtually perfect.
Almost as good as Edelman's against the Ravens?

I did think the excerpt about committing to the run after the Denver loss was interesting. The Pats (much to the chagrin of 90% of the board) didn't do anything externally to bolster the run game. I think we all thought they would at least draft a back in the mid round or bolster the OL with some more power. Were they investing that much hope in Scar to be able to revolutionize our run blocking to make it a respectable unit? Maybe that and the combination of Lewis returning and a healthy Blount would be enough? Or maybe committing to the run during games instead of abandoning it once two runs don't work and we're down 7 points?

Who knows but I thought that was an interesting little nugget of insight into what the coaching staff was thinking after Denver.
They did bolster the OL with more power. Or have you missed Bennett's blocking?

Why couldn't Jimmy be born 4-5 years later with the same draft outcome? There's going to be one hell of a tough decision BB has to make this coming offseason.

Agreed. No QB has been nearly as effective as Brady has been at his age, so normally one would expect he would go downhill and the Patriots should prepare a successor like Jimmy. The problem is that no QB has ever followed the mental, physical, and nutrition regime that Brady does, so he might very well break all previous rules and remain at the top of his game for several more years.

Was on Cowherd the other day, says he and Bill thought for sure Texans were taking Garoppolo at the top of the 2nd and were very surprised when they took Su'a-Filo but when they did they knew Garoppolo would be there as the teams that were QB needy already took a QB.

They did bolster the OL with more power. Or have you missed Bennett's blocking?
lol. Must have missed where Bennett was an OL. He's been asked to stay home and block more with Gronk out, yes. If you think Bennett was brought in to fix the running game instead of being Gronk insurance with potential of reintroducing the two tight end set then I have a bridge to sell you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down