PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot RB Jeff Demps activated to Bucs roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if he was on the team..Blount would still be back on KRs somehow

Any time you have the chance to pick up a troubled Tampa Bay Buccaneer, you have to pull the trigger. :)

Football wasn't his #1 and only priority. You can't play on the Patriots if you're not 100% committed to them.

The Blount trade probably goes through without him being involved anyway, if what their GM stated is the truth.

Demps was just trade fodder. He'll likely would've gotten cut if Schiano didn't agree to take him. Sounds more like a respect thing between two friends, knowing that the other one coveted him too, than a value for value trade. Either way, Blount is a Patriot now, Demps isn't and that's all that matters.

my frustration is that he's possibly the fastest player in the NFL, he's better then Leon at this point, and he could really fill in the Vereen role running and catching passes.

my frustration is that he's possibly the fastest player in the NFL, he's better then Leon at this point, and he could really fill in the Vereen role running and catching passes.

Right.
No training camp.
No football conditioning (weight training).
He'll just step in week 4 and do as well as a 2nd round pick whose shown he can play in the NFL at a superior level.

Game changer. Sit back and watch the Bucs go on a run to the playoffs with Demps leading the way. :rolleyes:

Right.
No training camp.
No football conditioning (weight training).
He'll just step in week 4 and do as well as a 2nd round pick whose shown he can play in the NFL at a superior level.
Did I say that? no. I think he can be a capable back up and KR for us. He reported to the team on Sept. 9th, within a few weeks I think he'll be fine

Even if he was on the team..Blount would still be back on KRs somehow

well theoretically at least, they were traded for each other so Blount wouldn't be here. Which would be fine with me. He's a dancing bear.

Did I say that? no. I think he can be a capable back up and KR for us. He reported to the team on Sept. 9th, within a few weeks I think he'll be fine

He may be "fine" for a team like the TB Bucs, Avenger.

Whether or not he'd have been okay here is another matter entirely, and his lack of commitment wasn't going to go over too well here. Hell, we don't even know if he'd have been able to pass protect, which is the single most important aspect to getting on the field in the NFL for a rookie RB.

I'm sure you're right that he'd have been able to add something nice here and there, and it'd be a shame if he ends up being the next Adrian Peterson, but there was a lot of questions and his lack of commitment was definitely the biggest drawback in my opinion.

I certainly can't speak for him, but PWP's comments were likely just due to so many people automatically thinking that he'd instantly come in and do well without all of the proper tools needed to do so. At the time it was a fairly popular thought as many players are in regards to their hype on the patsfans forum. As we know, that rarely if ever--happens, and definitely not on a BB coached team.

The kick return game is becoming obsolete. For all the complaining about Blount, he has only returned 4 kicks in three games. Only five teams have averaged 3 or more kick returns a game (non touchbacks) and seven teams have had two or less actual kick returns so far this season (Denver has two which could go up tonight).

So basically, people are making a huge deal about a relatively small part of the game. The Pats are on track for 21 actual kick returns this season.

The kick return game is becoming obsolete. For all the complaining about Blount, he has only returned 4 kicks in three games. Only five teams have averaged 3 or more kick returns a game (non touchbacks) and seven teams have had two or less actual kick returns so far this season (Denver has two which could go up tonight).

So basically, people are making a huge deal about a relatively small part of the game. The Pats are on track for 21 actual kick returns this season.

Also, there seem to be a high percentage returned to below the 20 yard line.

Also, there seem to be a high percentage returned to below the 20 yard line.

Also, there has been only ONE kickoff returned for a touchdown so far this year, vs. SEVEN kickoffs fumbled. Securing the ball is job #1, 2 & 3 for a KR in this era.

Also, there has been only ONE kickoff returned for a touchdown so far this year, vs. SEVEN kickoffs fumbled. Securing the ball is job #1, 2 & 3 for a KR in this era.

And how many safeties? Honestly, at this point I really just don't understand why anyone takes the ball out of the end zone.

Demps is no Bo Jackson, who could offer a contribution at a much larger scale. And speed is fine, but nobody tackles you on the track. Nobody has seen anything that might suggest Demps will be a contributor in any capacity in the NFL. His preference for track indicates a lack of focus on football, and special teams are more than running with the ball.

I was entertained by the Demps pick originally, but after stating he wanted to continue his track goals I lost interest quickly. He chose his sport, and I would be flat out amazed if he does anything in the NFL after that decision.

Leon Washington is on our roster, the all pro special teams player, I suspect that when he recovers from his injury he will be returning kicks... Blount is the back up.

The Kick off game has pretty much been negated by the current rules...

Shiny Beads in a rear view mirror again....

As one who REALLY Liked the Demps pick up and didn't like the trade, I can certainly understand the reasoning behind it. Love of the game is a key element to the "Patriot Way". But the key thing would have been the message sent to the locker room. I think Demps on the team right now would be an improvement both in the running/passing game and ST's But sticking to the overall principle is more important to the long term success of the team

The thing I question (now that I have the perspective of 20-20 hindsight ;) ) Was the decision to IR him with the Patriots flu after just a few practices and one pre-season game. Perhaps if they had kept him on the roster for a few more weeks, he would have felt more a part of the team and taken up football full time. Instead he was here for an instant and gone to the IR, away from the team left with nothing to do but think about traveling Europe and the pro track circuit.

There is no doubt in my mind the we are going to see an ESPN highlight or two from Jeff Demps.This season

As one who REALLY Liked the Demps pick up and didn't like the trade, I can certainly understand the reasoning behind it. Love of the game is a key element to the "Patriot Way". But the key thing would have been the message sent to the locker room. I think Demps on the team right now would be an improvement both in the running/passing game and ST's But sticking to the overall principle is more important to the long term success of the team

The thing I question (now that I have the perspective of 20-20 hindsight ;) ) Was the decision to IR him with the Patriots flu after just a few practices and one pre-season game. Perhaps if they had kept him on the roster for a few more weeks, he would have felt more a part of the team and taken up football full time. Instead he was here for an instant and gone to the IR, away from the team left with nothing to do but think about traveling Europe and the pro track circuit.

There is no doubt in my mind the we are going to see an ESPN highlight or two from Jeff Demps.This season

Despite the hubabaloo after a decent run, Demps proved he wasn't ready for the NFL in that preseason performance. NE did the right thing putting him on IR because it would have been a complete waste of a roster spot. If he really wanted to go the NFL route over track, just being around the team would have been enough.

I bolded the part where you said a kid who has never played in a regular season game is BETTER then a player who has.

Just wanted to be clear here, You are making assumptions based on absolutely nothing. Show me one stat sheet where demps did ANYTHING worthwhile for any football team.

Loved Demps in the preseason last year hated this trade but it is Bill's philosophy to not have people on the team for who football isn't a priority. Can't waste a roster spot on a guy who doesn't know what he's gonna do in life.

As an aside, there were a lot of snide comments about this guy but I think it's refreshing to see someone risking a career that could involve millions and millions of dollars in order to follow a dream like track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore