PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot Jim Plunkett: My Life Sucks Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's terrible to hear. I certainly wish him improvement with his health issues.

Uggh, so sorry to hear that.

The guy was a tough SOB, a gleam of hope in the post-Babe Parilli years, when Pats fans had to endure Clive Rush, John Mazur, Mike Taliaferro, Tom Sherman and then Joe Kapp's 3-TD, 17-INT season.

Excuse me for a moment, I just threw up in my mouth.........

Plunkett was the guy that made people finally say they were proud to be Pats fans - no different than Bledsoe did years later. Unfortunately the team around him was nowhere near as good as Bledsoe's. He was unmercifully beaten .... and then to add insult to injury, when he physically could not get on the field anymore, his backup (Grogan) ended up getting all the glory.

I feel bad that he suffered so badly with the Pats, but I still fondly remember his first NFL game upset victory over the Raiders, as well as a few wins against the Jets. Glad he got to win not one, but two Super Bowls.

In retrospect it's not surprising at all that he can hardly walk. A very sobering story: 18 surgeries, artificial knees, artificial shoulder ..........

And then Roger Goodell has the audacity to more or less say that retired players are healthier than the rest of us, just a few days ago?

smh...........

He played on some terrible Patriots teams in the early 70's. He was thrown to the wolves poor guy.

He was a tough s o b, (meant as a compliment), and like so many NFL players, his body is now cashing that check for toughness....and his account is overdrawn.

Plunkett gave us hope during the "dark days".. in his 15 year NFL career he played for the 49'ers and Raiders for 10 years, 234 of his 380 sacks took place on the West Coast Teams.. while he took a beating here, he took more on the Bay teams.. he was a tough player.

Even though he won two Superbowls with the Raiders he never made the HOF....

Plunkett gave us hope during the "dark days".. in his 15 year NFL career he played for the 49'ers and Raiders for 10 years, 234 of his 380 sacks took place on the West Coast Teams.. while he took a beating here, he took more on the Bay teams.. he was a tough player.

Even though he won two Superbowls with the Raiders he never made the HOF....
Jim is just unappreciated, quietly humble (in comparison with his contemporary, Joe Theismann).

Drew Bledsoe is a nice man, but whatever he did is negligible in comparison with Plunkett's contribution to the Patriots. Anyone who saw that game at Metropolitan Stadium in '74, where Jim willed the team to victory making us 6-1 at the halfway point, after more losing and ignominy than anything in the early 90's, is likely to rank it among the most exhilarating victories in Boston sports history, as I do. It put the Patriots on the map.

It should be noted that on the Coast he was on natural grass at Candlestick and Oakland-Alameda County. Here with the Pats, those sacks came on the rug-covered concrete of Schaefer Stadium.

Uggh, so sorry to hear that.

The guy was a tough SOB, a gleam of hope in the post-Babe Parilli years, when Pats fans had to endure Clive Rush, John Mazur, Mike Taliaferro, Tom Sherman and then Joe Kapp's 3-TD, 17-INT season.

Excuse me for a moment, I just threw up in my mouth.........

Plunkett was the guy that made people finally say they were proud to be Pats fans - no different than Bledsoe did years later. Unfortunately the team around him was nowhere near as good as Bledsoe's. He was unmercifully beaten .... and then to add insult to injury, when he physically could not get on the field anymore, his backup (Grogan) ended up getting all the glory.

I feel bad that he suffered so badly with the Pats, but I still fondly remember his first NFL game upset victory over the Raiders, as well as a few wins against the Jets. Glad he got to win not one, but two Super Bowls.

In retrospect it's not surprising at all that he can hardly walk. A very sobering story: 18 surgeries, artificial knees, artificial shoulder ..........

And then Roger Goodell has the audacity to more or less say that retired players are healthier than the rest of us, just a few days ago?

smh...........
Jim grew up poor in California, with his two older sisters helping his parents, both blind, barely scrape by.

Washington State coach Jim Sweeney called Plunkett "The best college football player I've ever seen." In his senior year, 1970, he led Stanford to their first Rose Bowl appearance since 1952, a game that ended with a 27-17 Stanford victory over the heavily favored Ohio State Buckeyes. With eighteen passing and three rushing touchdowns added to his 2,715 passing yards on the year (which broke his own conference record), Plunkett was awarded the 1970 Heisman Trophy. Plunkett beat Notre Dame's Joe Theismann and Archie Manning of Ole Miss to win the award. He was the first Latino to win the Heisman Trophy. Aside from the Heisman, he captured the Maxwell Award for the nation's best player and was named player of the year by United Press International, The Sporting News, and SPORT magazine. In addition, the American College Football Coaches Association designated him as their Offensive Player of the Year. He became the second multiple recipient of the W.J. Voit Memorial Trophy, awarded each year to the outstanding football player on the Pacific Coast.

UCLA coach Tommy Prothro had called Plunkett the "best pro quarterback prospect I've ever seen", echoing Sweeney's words from the year prior. His excellent arm strength and precision made him attractive to pro teams that relied much more heavily on the passing game than most college teams of the late 1960s. In 1971, he was drafted with the first overall pick in the NFL draft by the New England Patriots (the team was still known as the Boston Patriots at the time of the draft; the name change to New England did not become official until March 21 of that year). Plunkett owns the distinction of being the only player of Hispanic heritage to be drafted with the first overall pick in the NFL draft.

The redemption I felt when Jim led the Raiders all the way in '80 remains one of the most personally gratifying stories I've ever followed. I am forced to credit Mr. Davis for that one.

We reminisced with Ray Clayborn last week about ill-advised head coaching decisions regarding starting quarterbacks; and it brings to mind Tom Flores' stupidity in starting Marc Wilson over a healthy and active Plunkett in the famous divisional game in the Coliseum on 1/5/86.

In my opinion, Jim Plunkett belongs in the Patriots' Hall of Fame, if not Canton. Numbers and success are not the only factors in measuring a player's contribution.

Jim Plunkett was the reason I became a Patriots fan. I had seen him play at Stanford and the Rose Bowl victory over OSU. Amazing player. He was poorly used up here in New England, and Lord only knows how great he, and the Patriots, might have been then had he had even a good offensive line to protect him.

I didn't like seeing him head off to Oakland, but I admit to being happy for him when he finally got his rings.

It pains me to see him in such condition, but it's always like that, I suppose, when we see the heroes of our youth, the ones we remember as strong and immortal, become human and frail in old age. It's a reminder that no matter what we do, time comes for us all.

Thanks for the memories, and the hope, Jim. I pray life eases up on you in all the years you have left.

He played on some terrible Patriots teams in the early 70's. He was thrown to the wolves poor guy.
He was the original David Carr.. Very good QB behind a horrible O-line, years before Hannah and Gray... Given support the guy won 2 Super Bowls and I think he is the only two time Super Bowl winning QB who is eligible who is NOT in the Hall of Fame, mainly because of his atrocious stats in NE. It was his trade to SF ( like the Hershel Walker trade to Minn by Dallas a generation later) that garnered Pats enough assets and draft picks to turn around the team in the mid 70s.....

PS I'm not calling Carr a very good QB but it is interesting to see what he could have done on another team with even a serviceable offensive line....

Hate to see that. Loved Plunkett to Vataha combo. Though Vataha was small, he did not play the slot. Often went deep. Football was a different game. Rules did not protect the QB as they do today and the Pats OL protected the QB even less.

This old coot is thankful for feeling good every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back