PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot Chris Long donates all 2017 paychecks to charities

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris Long to donate final 10 Eagles game checks, play for free

The Eagles' veteran defensive end, who had already pledged to give away his first six game checks of this season for scholarships in his hometown....

Long, 32, on Wednesday morning announced he's giving away his final 10 checks this season to four organizations he has identified "whose missions focus on making education easily accessible to underserved youth while also providing students the support they need to develop strong social and emotional character."

Those four organizations are based in Philadelphia, Boston and St. Louis, the three cities he's played for during his NFL career.

"In my 10th year, I want to celebrate the awesome opportunity I've had to play football by giving back to the communities that have given me that gift," Long said in a statement. "Educational opportunity and equity are the best gateway to a better tomorrow for everyone in America."

With the donation, The Chris Long Foundation also announced the creation of the "Pledge 10 for Tomorrow" campaign, which hopes Long's donation will be matched by pledges. For those who wish to pledge money to the cause, click here.​

gentegraziezlzaticorteoapplausi.gif

Good. That has a net overall positive effect on society. He will get zero criticism from me over kneeling, putting his fist in the air, or whatever he wants to do because he ACTED on top of it and put his money where his mouth is.

Which should be a not-so-subtle hint that he really left the Pats because he wanted to play a role that he enjoys and not for money. Hope we wont have to hear that stupid offseason narrative anymore.

Now THAT is a man who (you know) saved his money.
That, an a million maybe doesn’t seem like much to him, but that puts a few kids through school that may have otherwise never had the chance. It’s sad that something like this, a real difference maker, gets underreported while the ultimately punchless act of taking a knee during the NA without any follow-up gets all the headlines.

Good. That has a net overall positive effect on society. He will get zero criticism from me over kneeling, putting his fist in the air, or whatever he wants to do because he ACTED on top of it and put his money where his mouth is.

The former does not excuse the latter

That, an a million maybe doesn’t seem like much to him, but that puts a few kids through school that may have otherwise never had the chance. It’s sad that something like this, a real difference maker, gets underreported while the ultimately punchless act of taking a knee during the NA without any follow-up gets all the headlines.

Several players who have demonstrated have donated money to similar causes as Long is doing. Kaepernick himself has donated close to a million dollars towards it. A lot of other players have made significant donations as well.

In order to have progress you definitely need financial donations to help make a viable life for people looking to do the hard work on the ground. This is great.

The other form of donation is personal sacrifice which is equally important if not more. Examples of this are time or the negative backlash of holding opinions that aren’t popular.

Without getting this conversation started the financial donations wouldn’t be flowing at all. If the donations were happening before this, they would be going to potentially non-existent or far less impactful efforts.

Colin Kaepernick has donated $800k to empower oppressed communities

Several players who have demonstrated have donated money to similar causes as Long is doing. Kaepernick himself has donated close to a million dollars towards it. A lot of other players have made significant donations as well.

In order to have progress you definitely need financial donations to help make a viable life for people looking to do the hard work on the ground. This is great.

The other form of donation is personal sacrifice which is equally important if not more. Examples of this are time or the negative backlash of holding opinions that aren’t popular.

Without getting this conversation started the financial donations wouldn’t be flowing at all. If the donations were happening before this, they would be going to potentially non-existent or far less impactful efforts.

Colin Kaepernick has donated $800k to empower oppressed communities

Donations are happening all the time, and they're quite impactful, as recipients can verify.

Chris Long to donate final 10 Eagles game checks, play for free

The Eagles' veteran defensive end, who had already pledged to give away his first six game checks of this season for scholarships in his hometown....

Long, 32, on Wednesday morning announced he's giving away his final 10 checks this season to four organizations he has identified "whose missions focus on making education easily accessible to underserved youth while also providing students the support they need to develop strong social and emotional character."

Those four organizations are based in Philadelphia, Boston and St. Louis, the three cities he's played for during his NFL career.

"In my 10th year, I want to celebrate the awesome opportunity I've had to play football by giving back to the communities that have given me that gift," Long said in a statement. "Educational opportunity and equity are the best gateway to a better tomorrow for everyone in America."

With the donation, The Chris Long Foundation also announced the creation of the "Pledge 10 for Tomorrow" campaign, which hopes Long's donation will be matched by pledges. For those who wish to pledge money to the cause, click here.​

I have nothing but respect for Chris Long. He’s an exceptional person.

Nice guy means well, but today's indoctrination centers just crank out more protesting, brainwashed ANTIFA social justice warriors intent on tearing down our country and turning us into North Korea.

At least CL is still playing, and hasn't been as big a pain in the ass as Sackorpick.

Which should be a not-so-subtle hint that he really left the Pats because he wanted to play a role that he enjoys and not for money. Hope we wont have to hear that stupid offseason narrative anymore.

I still think he left b/c BB didn't offer him a contract when HE wanted a contract.

Nice guy means well, but today's indoctrination centers just crank out more protesting, brainwashed ANTIFA social justice warriors intent on tearing down our country and turning us into North Korea.

...and a rerun of Everyone Loves Raymond is on TV Land at 8pm tonight.

That is about as relevant to your post as it is to Long's good deeds.

I still think he left b/c BB didn't offer him a contract when HE wanted a contract.
I thought it was due to a mutual understanding that he wanted an increased role here, and felt that our defense limited his opportunities due to specific responsibilities.

Still, one may ponder if things may have been a bit different knowing that Ninkovich was definitely going to retire.

I thought it was due to a mutual understanding that he wanted an increased role here, and felt that our defense limited his opportunities due to specific responsibilities.

Yea Long wants to play on the left side and its what he said and because he strikes me as a stand-up guy I do believe that was a big part of his decision. I also wonder where/if there was a breakdown between what he wanted to do and if he asked BB if he could accommodate him. It seems like that conversation never happened or Long got the answer which forced him to consider other opportunities.

However - and I've read everything Long has said, he said (paraphrasing), "The Patriots never called.." , and "Want to extend my career" (which makes no sense as he is playing just a tad less there) I kinda wonder if he feels BB did not appreciate what he did here.

I think Long is a proud vet and while I don't think BB disrespected him he felt he has a finite amount of time left in the league and didnt want to compromise.

I don't fault him one bit for it.

Still, one may ponder if things may have been a bit different knowing that Ninkovich was definitely going to retire.

I do wonder if they knew all this in February they might have been more agressive in pursuing him. I dunna know.

Last edited:
his wife is great too to agreed to his decision or she makes a lot of $$

Satire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes