PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For the Patriots WRs, Opportunity Knocks With Edelman Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Edelman was suppose to be ready at the start of training camp and now they are saying mid-august? Honestly as long as he is 100% when the season starts it doesn't matter. He doesn't need the preseason snaps to be ready.

Also part of me would not mind giving guys like Martin, Mitchell and Washington more snaps to show what they have.

Edelman should be allowed to sit out as long as he needs to. He clearly wasn't 100% in Denver and he's too valuable to rush back. In order for Edelman to be Edelman, that foot needs to be fully healed. So, if he needs to sit out TC, so be it. The Pats can at least see what else they have on the roster and it may afford the rookies extended reps with Brady and Garoppolo.

I would rather have a 100% Julian Edelman and Dion Lewis if it means them not playing in the meaningless preseason for them personally. We already know what they can do and our Offense is UnStoppable with Both! That said Aaron Dobson is getting every opportunity to prove himself and build a rapport with Brady his football career is at stake and I believe he will step up as legitimate X-WR. I also feel that Devin Lucien is going to be a pleasant surprise he's already well schooled in some of our route concepts same for Malcom Mitchell.

I would rather have a 100% Julian Edelman and Dion Lewis if it means them not playing in the meaningless preseason for them personally. We already know what they can do and our Offense is UnStoppable with Both! That said Aaron Dobson is getting every opportunity to prove himself and build a rapport with Brady his football career is at stake and I believe he will step up as legitimate X-WR. I also feel that Devin Lucien is going to be a pleasant surprise he's already well schooled in some of our route concepts same for Malcom Mitchell.

Dobson has been given every opportunity to win that job. If he doesn't get his **** together, he's going to be cut after TC.

Dobson has been given every opportunity to win that job. If he doesn't get his **** together, he's going to be cut after TC.

I heard that he worked our with WR DeAndre Hopkins this Offseason not saying it means much but we'll see if Dobson learned anything.

If Mitchell looks better than dobson he is gone

And If they Both look good who get's the boot?? I would love to see Dobson live up to his paycheck.

Edelman should be allowed to sit out as long as he needs to. He clearly wasn't 100% in Denver and he's too valuable to rush back. In order for Edelman to be Edelman, that foot needs to be fully healed. So, if he needs to sit out TC, so be it. The Pats can at least see what else they have on the roster and it may afford the rookies extended reps with Brady and Garoppolo.

Edelman dinged an ankle last year before the first preseason game and never saw a snap in the 4 games. Gronk did not see a preseason snap either. They both were on fire week 1. I seriously doubt Edelman will be seen in a preseason game this year - but hopefully will be able to participate at least some in training camp.

Edelman dinged an ankle last year before the first preseason game and never saw a snap in the 4 games. Gronk did not see a preseason snap either. They both were on fire week 1. I seriously doubt Edelman will be seen in a preseason game this year - but hopefully will be able to participate at least some in training camp.

A bit OT, but this reminds me of the year that Tim Tebow was in camp.

I hated how much time he got in games when it was painfully obvious that he couldn't play. He not only cost the other QBs reps, but he wasted the time of the other players trying to make an impression, like the WR'S who were not in the same area code as Tebow's passes.

Bringing it back around to the current team, this is a year when the receivers, who were not here last year, can really benefit from getting more reps since the new receivers are numerous and promising.

Zolak and Bertrand were really pessimistic on this today, and I cannot say they are wrong. They suggested he might not be available until week 5 or so, and raised the idea this could be career-threatening. Zolak made the point that missed workout time is crucial to a player like Edelman. There are some red flags I think. 1) he had way more pain in the playoff games than people expected 2) it seems the surgery was done after he started accelerating his offseason workouts - likely meaning that his pain was increasing again and especially 3) Curran last week mentioned Edelman was feeling "instability" - a word you absolutely do not want to hear. I think he is a lot closer to being back to square one than has been intimated. Edelman has made a career out of overcoming challenges - I hope this is another example.

Zolak and Bertrand were really pessimistic on this today, and I cannot say they are wrong. They suggested he might not be available until week 5 or so, and raised the idea this could be career-threatening. Zolak made the point that missed workout time is crucial to a player like Edelman. There are some red flags I think. 1) he had way more pain in the playoff games than people expected 2) it seems the surgery was done after he started accelerating his offseason workouts - likely meaning that his pain was increasing again and especially 3) Curran last week mentioned Edelman was feeling "instability" - a word you absolutely do not want to hear. I think he is a lot closer to being back to square one than has been intimated. Edelman has made a career out of overcoming challenges - I hope this is another example.

With the previous broken foot/screw etc on the other side (right side) and now multiple surgeries on his left foot, he's got some challenges to overcome. We've seen what foot injuries do to guys like Dobson and LaFell, to name a couple examples. They can ruin a season.

On the other hand, if anyone can overcome it and tough it out, it'd likely be Julian Edelman. I wouldn't be shocked if they were cautious and had him miss a few weeks to start the year, but we really have no idea and won't until training camp.

For the 53 assuming they are ready for the start of the year Edelman, Amendola, Mitchell and Hogan are all locks. That leaves 1 maybe 2 spots for Lucien, Martin, Washington, Dobson.

If Amendola looks not absolutely 100% I totally expect him to be put on the pup considering their depth and it will perhaps give someone an extra 6 weeks to show they deserve to stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes