PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For 2023, what should the Patriots do with Marcus Jones?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How should the Patriots split Marcus Jones' snaps in 2023?

• Mostly at CB, with a few designed plays at WR

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Try to convert him to full-time WR

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Roughly 50% CB, 50% WR (two-way player)

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's a testament to where the offense is. They don't have a quick guy who can beat one on one coverage. They really need some speed.. some difference makers
You mean like taking the fastest WR and fastest RB in the draft?

The kid is electric, a real game breaker, but definitely keep mixing him into the offense a tittle at a time & see how much he can handle. Some smaller guys are much more effective in a part time role.

You mean like taking the fastest WR and fastest RB in the draft?
No an actual quick three cone slot guy who can run routes... Not the fastest high end speed wr like Bethel Johnson. Bedard even criticized Thornton fir not running accurate routes and wondered why Bourne was benched for Thornton against the raiders. Go figure Bourne gets snaps and has a break out game

Starting slot corner and returner with a few offensive plays a game.
Slowly, very slowly develop him as a WR. Keep him at CB, focusing on that and returning. Matchup guy on guys like Hill, Waddle. Guys that can shift, move while keeping top speed.
Maybe every practice you dedicate a certain amount of time focusing on the fundamentals, a few concepts. His speed, quicks and elusiveness are enough to make an impact rn though. I think that's a good plan. I don't want to try a full position switch at this stage of the game.

Last edited:
His speed and more so his quickness really translates where Thorntons does not.

Starting slot corner and returner with a few offensive plays a game.
The open question is whether he is good enough at nickel to start.

Try him out at QB. Convert him to QB if he can throw the ball and not whine.

Without question offense.

He needs to touch the ball as much as possible. The more opportunities the greater chance that Marcus Jones can score.

Sad our D is going to waste this season

He is a bit undersized to be a wide receiver. He is fast yes, but he is no Tyreek Hill.

We need his services on defense and special teams. He is excellent in these positions.

On offense we need a WR that places fear in the heart of defenses, right now none of our WR do that. I don’t think Jones is the answer.
Also our tight ends have been mediocre at best.

His speed and more so his quickness really translates where Thorntons does not.

Two very different types of athletes.

Thornton isn't a guy who should be getting the ball while standing still, while Jones should do precisely just that.

Thornton is a guy you give end-arounds, go-routes, any screen where he's hitting his stride as he catches the ball. He needs to have his stride going when he receives the ball.

Jones can do all of that too, but he also can catch the ball with his feet still and make plays (which Thornton cannot from what I've seen).

As for my answer to the question, Jones has got to be a DB primarily.

He has ball-skills, instincts, and physicality that is rare. You need that guy flying around making plays defensively because they're hard to find.

Yes, he is undersized but he actually has really, really good technique on the perimeter, tracks/plays the ball well. He isn't just a slot CB IMO - the guy can play inside or outside, and he could probably play S very well, too. He's had a few really damn good tackles/hits, and not only on smaller players; he is fearless and brings the wood against bigger guys (absolutely crushed one of the Bengals' TEs on a flat route the other day).

The only real limitation I see is his height/length, that's it. If Jones was 2-3 inches taller, he absolutely would've been a top-5, first-round pick. Special player from what I've seen.

Now, with all of that said, I would argue that Jones is also one of the best (if not the best) offensive weapon on the team. He has short-area quickness, the ability to start/stop, change direction, and accelerate in very small spaces. There is not a single other offensive player on the team currently who is anywhere near him in those regards, not even close. He brings a skill-set and ability to the offensive side of the ball that is also desperately needed. It's no surprise that pretty much every time he's touched the ball offensively (generally on screens near the LOS) he's made plays basically every time, and provided a glimpse of something we haven't seen in a long time. They haven't had a receiver with his short-area quickness since Welker (although Jones is much faster in a straight line).

So, piggybacking off of that, what they should do (IMHO) is play Jones at DB because he possesses toughness, physicality, instincts, and ball-skills that are special, but use Jones' athletic profile when looking for offensive weapons, particularly slot receivers, 3rd-down backs, gadget guys, etc.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back