PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For 2023, what should the Patriots do with Marcus Jones?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How should the Patriots split Marcus Jones' snaps in 2023?

• Mostly at CB, with a few designed plays at WR

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Try to convert him to full-time WR

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Roughly 50% CB, 50% WR (two-way player)

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, Jones is without question their most electric playmaker.

The question is: should they try to convert him from CB to WR, keep him mostly at CB, or do something like 50-50 (i.e., a true "two-way" player)? I can see arguments for all three.

Very explosive player , it is exciting to watch him when he gets the ball. I would like to see him get more offensive snaps.

We're much better at finding DBs in the bottom of the barrel or ever off the street than we are at picking WRs at the top of the draft. I say convert him and find a replacement DB.

It doesn't really seem like playing all 3 phases is hurting his development in any of them, so I say ride that train until it becomes clear a different approach should be taken.

What do they say about DB? Receivers who can't catch play DB. I suspect that if Jones were able to play WR, he would be already.

Can't rule out a long-range transition. It took Edelman until year 4 to develop the chops for the position and earn the trust of his QB. If Jones could do the same, he could be special.

Until then, I like the role he is playing right now.

He is will a CB and returner who might get some playing time on offense. I doubt he will be a major fixture on the offense.

What do they say about DB? Receivers who can't catch play DB. I suspect that if Jones were able to play WR, he would be already.

Can't rule out a long-range transition. It took Edelman until year 4 to develop the chops for the position and earn the trust of his QB. If Jones could do the same, he could be special.

Until then, I like the role he is playing right now.
That was in part because BB brought in GRONK, another TE, Branch, and Woodhead in 2010 and in part from his broken arm as a rookie. Before that he actually led all rookies in receptions.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Can he play quarterback? He's good at everything else.

Use him as they are using him now. As much as we’d like to see him more on O he doesn’t have the body to take a lot of punishment.

I think about 60% defensive snap count in the slot, 10-15% offensive snap count (6-10 snaps per game), and returns is pretty doable. It’s unfortunate that the desperate need at CB came at the same time that they were getting him involved on offense.

Play him every snap on offense, defense, and special teams. And give him a raise.

It's a testament to where the offense is. They don't have a quick guy who can beat one on one coverage. They really need some speed.. some difference makers

He’ll piss off the coaches and get benched to send a message I’m sure.

I don't even think this is a real question he's a DB and my expectations based on his skill will be as one of starters within a year or two.

My only question is if he is one of our starters can we still afford to use him as a returner and certainly only very occasionally on offense.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back