PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio's Great Take on Steelers Hiding Bell's Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since ********-gate, Florio has changed. He's gone from Steelers homer to full on "f*ck you NFL and anyone who helps you pull the **** you do". Inadvertently, with the Pats mostly persona non-grata in some eyes, most of his articles are in accordance with our belief (and certainty) that the League is full of crooks, ******** merchants and downright scumbags.

I like it.

Conspiracy states that Goodell is the puppet of those who want to push the Patriots into the state of mediocrity. That failed twice in the last three years. Deflategate failed. Are the puppet masters happy? They're not.

I think Goodell is in the hot seat.

Btw: How good are BB and TB when the league is against you and you still win?

I love Florio, he doesn't even like the Patriots but he's a guy who is willing to look at things objectively. There aren't a lot of people that will put personal vendettas aside and just look at the facts.

I hate the NFL.

Well, I'll have to go to confession for this... and it's probably mostly my second bourbon talking here... but to the NFL:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I can't argue with Florio about this. Not at all.

You're right, Aluminum Seats: That last line speaks volumes of truth.

I love Florio, he doesn't even like the Patriots but he's a guy who is willing to look at things objectively. There aren't a lot of people that will put personal vendettas aside and just look at the facts.

I disagree. I think Florio respects the hell out of the Patriots because he understands the BS they have dealt with.

We used to think that Florio was a Steelers fan since he went to Carnegie-Mellon in Pittsburgh (2 engineering degrees, which explains his understanding of framegate) and he is from West Virginia, where he also went to law school.

It came up in an interview or profile, though, that he is (IIRC?) a Vikings fan.

edit: yes, at least according to wikipedia: Mike Florio - Wikipedia

I think the last bit from Florio isn't necessarily pro Pats any more just trying to generate discussion and comments. He knows PFT has a ton of Pats fan readers and he knows his audience and what will get them talking in this article. It's how he always writes. When the sentiment was anti Patriots especially after spygate there was a lot of snarky article content from Florio and his writers about the team- again designed to get people commenting.

With that said I think the quality of PFT has noticeably improved in recent years. Less of the clickbait headlines and trolling and more in depth news and hard hitting analysis. I also think he definitely played a big role in turning national sentiment favorably on the Pats after deflategate and the court cases. I agree he "gets it" about the whole thing since the court cases were right in his legal wheelhouse and he studied it and disapproves of the league's behavior in this mess.

Last edited:
Conspiracy states that Goodell is the puppet of those who want to push the Patriots into the state of mediocrity. That failed twice in the last three years. Deflategate failed. Are the puppet masters happy? They're not.

Btw: How good are BB and TB when the league is against you and you still win?

That last part is an interesting discussion point. How much more could the Patriots have accomplished over the last 17 years if the league wasn't putting obstacles in their way? What records could have been achieved if Brady was given the Peyton Manning treatment? What more could have been done if the team had their 2008 and 2015 1st round picks? I think the franchise has been on the best run in league history, but it's kind of scary to think it could have been even better.

As for Florio, I think that his stance that the NFL has been wrong in their treatment of the Patriots carries a lot more weight that someone like Mike Silver saying the league was right.

Florio had no problem finding negative angles about the Patriots to get more eyes on his stories. I remember him questioning if Chad Eaton's story about Belichick giving him some extra cash to start fights in training camp constituted a salary cap violation. And questioning if the New England was breaking the rules by putting Jeff Demps on IR when his knee injury didn't look that bad on the field. And claiming the Patriots violated Kyle Love's human rights by cutting him due to his diabetic condition.

PFT would find a negative spin on Patriots news in a lot of cases because they knew it would get more readers than just a straight story. When someone who operated that way looked at deflategate and decided it didn't add up, that should have been a pretty big warning bell to everyone that the story was BS. If it was legit, Florio would have run with it and mined it for more stories since then. Instead, he did the opposite, which means a lot more than someone like Jerry Thornton knocking the story.

That last part is an interesting discussion point. How much more could the Patriots have accomplished over the last 17 years if the league wasn't putting obstacles in their way? What records could have been achieved if Brady was given the Peyton Manning treatment? What more could have been done if the team had their 2008 and 2015 1st round picks? I think the franchise has been on the best run in league history, but it's kind of scary to think it could have been even better.

As for Florio, I think that his stance that the NFL has been wrong in their treatment of the Patriots carries a lot more weight that someone like Mike Silver saying the league was right.

Florio had no problem finding negative angles about the Patriots to get more eyes on his stories. I remember him questioning if Chad Eaton's story about Belichick giving him some extra cash to start fights in training camp constituted a salary cap violation. And questioning if the New England was breaking the rules by putting Jeff Demps on IR when his knee injury didn't look that bad on the field. And claiming the Patriots violated Kyle Love's human rights by cutting him due to his diabetic condition.

PFT would find a negative spin on Patriots news in a lot of cases because they knew it would get more readers than just a straight story. When someone who operated that way looked at deflategate and decided it didn't add up, that should have been a pretty big warning bell to everyone that the story was BS. If it was legit, Florio would have run with it and mined it for more stories since then. Instead, he did the opposite, which means a lot more than someone like Jerry Thornton knocking the story.

I agree with all except I would choose to party with Thornton over Florio. Any day of the week. :0

I don't think Goodell is on the hot seat. Goodell is doing a great job for the corrupt 32. Goodell and the NYJFL* are playing the majority of the people of America perfectly. Nobody is paying attention(or doesn't care) to all the corruption. Their propaganda machine is quite masterful. Hitler would be jealous!

...There aren't a lot of people that will put personal vendettas aside and just look at the facts.
When it comes to Brady, Gary Myers and Mike Lupica of the NY Daily News have done so. Now, maybe, one day, just maybe, Dan Shaughnessy will be able do do the same.

I don't think Goodell is on the hot seat. Goodell is doing a great job for the corrupt 32. Goodell and the NYJFL* are playing the majority of the people of America perfectly. Nobody is paying attention(or doesn't care) to all the corruption. Their propaganda machine is quite masterful. Hitler would be jealous!

You could be right but I think Goodell was visibly shaken after the SB. I also believe spygate and deflategate were a part of a larger motive to force the Patriots into their "Parity" picture. I imagine the Greatest Comeback in Super Bowl History did some serious damage to the Rat Pack's legitimacy in the eyes of the puppet masters. Goodell lost and the masters are unhappy. That's what I like to think in my world. It keeps me happy. :D

When it comes to Brady, Gary Myers and Mike Lupica of the NY Daily News have done so. Now, maybe, one day, just maybe, Dan Shaughnessy will be able do do the same.
Nah lol. Maybe someday people will stop paying attention to him though. This is Dan Shaughnessy

Bell had better shut his pie hole or Goodell is going to slam the Steelers and drop their 6th round down three spots.

he'll probably move it UP 6 spots so the squeelers can make up for the injury to Bell with a better player

The key metric on Goodell is the TV ratings. It is the leading indicator for the two metrics by which he is measured, which are year-over-year profit, and the valuation of the NFL teams as assets. Both of those continue to rise, but will start to fall if the TV metrics continue to fall. So the seat is getting warm in that sense. All the embarrassment about Brady and the Pats is real but comparatively insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes