PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flashback: 2003 AFC Championship Game

A great game of course, but the "Cut That Meat" game (the AFC Divisional the next year) was better.

I remember when all my friends were going off about Peyton Manning and how there was no way the Patriots could overcome him lol. This of course was back when people always expected the sky to fall. It was fun watching us dismantle the golden boy. 03 was a sneaky fun team. Bill had them executing incredibly.

I watched it in Vegas at one of the hotels with the worst hangover of my life.

Red Bull and vodka....black jack till 3am.

A great game of course, but the "Cut That Meat" game (the AFC Divisional the next year) was better.
That run was unbelievable.
Almost shutting out the greatest offense at the time in NFL history. Then in the AFCCG scoring 34 on the #1 defense in the league in their stadium. Then beating a loaded Eagles team in many ways better than the team the Pats lost to a couple years ago.

If I recall correctly the Pats went for it on 4th down on their own side of the field on the very first drive of the game.

Sure, you might see that in today's NFL, but that wasn't 'a thing' back in 2003.

Thanks for the rewind; Givens, Green, Centers, Smith, Phifer, all those "middle class" players that coach loved to make the core of the team....

The night before this game my wife and I (pre kids when we could actually do stuff) went out to dinner at Clyde's BBQ just north of the stadium. The place has a bit of a western theme. As we sit in our booth I noticed there were horseshoes on the wall of our booth. Being the superstitious Pats fan that I am, I kindly asked the hostess for a different table as "sitting under a horseshoe would be bad luck for tomorrow's game".

what a great team. solid on both sides of the ball. Eugene Wilson and Asante Samuel were both rookies right?

The night before this game my wife and I (pre kids when we could actually do stuff) went out to dinner at Clyde's BBQ just north of the stadium. The place has a bit of a western theme. As we sit in our booth I noticed there were horseshoes on the wall of our booth. Being the superstitious Pats fan that I am, I kindly asked the hostess for a different table as "sitting under a horseshoe would be bad luck for tomorrow's game".
I remember that place, good food and good people.

The Baba O'Riley opening to the 2004 AFCCG was really cool too. Can't find that on youtube though.

That's right, Wilson drafted in the 2nd and Samuel in the 4th round of the 2003 draft.
I think Wilson had a couple of picks in the 2004 AFCCG too.

THAT is what happens when you pick a defensive back in the second round and hit.

Still don't know how Bennett dropped this. Pats season could have ended a lot sooner than it did.

Drew Bennett drops the Titans - YouTube
Feckin Tyrone Poole slipped right as the ball was coming...Not really a good FA signing overall here...Neither reliable nor tough...Fortunately Samuel & Wilson arrived to clean up his mess...Bennett would've likely gathered it in if they hadn't...

Reactions: sb1

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back