PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Finally figured out why we lost Super Bowl 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was because the NFL used different rules for what determined a reception in the SB than they did during the regular season. The Eagles would have had 2 TDs reversed had the same rules from the regular season been used.

We could have been better in the red area, everyone always talks about Brady throwing for over 500 yards but he only threw 3TDs and we had 1 rushing TD so it's not like we were rushing it in for the score instead of throwing, there's been qbs that have throw for 200-300 yards and thrown more TD passes.

While I don't necessarily disagree, getting 4 offensive TDs should be enough to win a Super Bowl. (of course, I bet this will be proven wrong this year if the Saints or Rams get in)

While I don't necessarily disagree, getting 4 offensive TDs should be enough to win a Super Bowl. (of course, I bet this will be proven wrong this year if the Saints or Rams get in)

A QB this year could probably throw 10 in a losing effort.:eek::D

33 points is the most the Pats have ever scored in regulation time in a SB. Yeah, the offense lost SB52.

Regards,
Chris

As some have pointed out, this re-opens old wounds, but I will never believe that the SB loss was attributable to anything but the following:
1. Benching your starting corner at the start of the game, causing upset to the player, but more importantly, to your entire team.
2. Repeatedly throwing garbage out there in the secondary despite your eyes (and the score board) telling you the guys you were putting in could not handle the game or the game plan.
3. Refusing to acknowledge that you messed up big time with nos. 1 and 2 and failing to make adjustments on D at any time during the game, but especially in the 2nd half, like, oh I don't know, putting in your usual starting corner to see if he could help stop the bleeding, and/or get just one stop of the opponent's offense.

Since rumor has it the above was somebody's plan for the AFC Championship game but Matt Patricia talked him out of it, I am not putting any of the loss on Patricia (except maybe he had one foot out the door and stopped arguing the point with somebody else who had the ultimate decision).

They allowed like, 6 YPC on the ground. That’s laughable. Also, the defense allowed 12/18 conversions on third and fourth down. You can point to these two factors more than Brady’s strip sack because losing a fumble in a game is a reasonable enough thing to happen. The first two are inexcusable.
Winner. Brady played the game of his life in that SB and the strip sack occurred when he was desperately trying to get his team ahead AGAIN in the 4th quarter because some bonehead refused to field a competent defense.

The defense sucked coming into the game and the secondary then got destabilized by the head coach rendering what was already a bad defense even worse.

One day, I would love it if the Pats could PLAY a SB without making my heart pulsate like a dying fish.

This is why I appreciated McNabb puking and Reid taking his sweet time to call plays.....that SB would have been a lot closer if McNabb didn't puke on the field, IMO. That and TO not being 100%....

Bad personell decisions, matchups, lack of pressure. Defensive meltdown basically explains it entirely.

3. Refusing to acknowledge that you messed up big time with nos. 1 and 2 and failing to make adjustments on D at any time during the game, but especially in the 2nd half, like, oh I don't know, putting in your usual starting corner to see if he could help stop the bleeding, and/or get just one stop of the opponent's offense.

yes, that no. 3 really eats at me. To not start him because of this or that, ok, fine. I'll bow to the genius, but to not even put him out there to mix it up after getting torched throughout the game....well that's just crazy.

...and of all people, we're talking about Malcom Butler, a guy who actually has a resume that includes coming off the bench in the Super Bowl as a defensive adjustment to win a game.

While I do not disagree with the explanation presented in the OP, I also do not believe that it had as much to do with our loss as those that others have presented in the proceeding posts, namely:

- Overall lack of talent on defense, which is of course the fault of the grocery-picker;

- Obviously insufficient pass rush, which is - again - the fault of the grocery-picker;

- Jonny Badmostly whiffing on Nelson Agholor on 3rd/6 during the 3rd quarter while a far FAR superior option was standing on the sidelines THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE FECKIN GAME;

- And the offense PISSING AWAY AT LEAST 10 POINTS during the first half.

- The complicit zebras didn't help either, but we allowed them to become a factor, just like the 2005 PO loss in Denver. Besides, the call/non-call that upset me the most was not either of the contested TD catches or the Philthy Special; it was the non-call of OPI on 4th/2 during Philthy's final TD drive.

When I look at that loss nowadays, I'm no longer considering bad pass rush or sad 3rd down defense. I just think that refusing Malcolm Butler to show on the field, three years after his heroic performance in XLIX, is a very disturbing violation of

~~Sacrosanct Rules of Dramatic Storytelling~~

Benching him in the first place was a great setup, but he should be freed before 4th quarter commenced. Just imagine the number of possibilities at hand of Narrative Gods. Let's play with oh-so-sweet idea of Malcolm saving our asses once again. Or dropping an interception Asante style. Or just getting injured before the final drive - you see those what ifs?

SB LII proves Bill doesn't give a flying flick about good stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back