PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final 53 man roster thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Which special teamers make it and which don't?
2) do we need 3 QBs?
3) Is Froholdt's injury serious and he needs to go to IR?
4) Do we trade for another quality OL?
5) Do we need a 2nd NG on the 53?
6) Crossen, Dawson or neither?
7) are any trades happening for players projected in the 53 (Roberts, Burkhead)
8) Is Wise on the bubble?
9) Will there be a shocking cut?
10) how many TEs do we carry?
11) Are Calhoun and Rivers healthy enough?

That's what I'm looking out for. Basically 45-47 spots are obvious so It will be obvious how these final 6-7 spots shake out.

Two weeks ago, I was convinced Wise and Meyers were IN, and that Dawson would be out. I also never considered Thomas & Gordon would be ready. Starting to think I was wrong on all of these predictions.

I think Meyers is OUT. His routes are limited and now he's become less reliable.

Someone will pick Meyers up, but his upside is capped IMO.

I think Meyers is OUT. His routes are limited and now he's become less reliable.

Someone will pick Meyers up, but his upside is capped IMO.

The one reason why they might keep him is that the Patriots probably need to completely revamp their WR room again next season so having Meyers in there as a WR 4/5 would be a nice security blanket. But it feels like a wasted roster spot this year.

The one reason why they might keep him is that the Patriots probably need to completely revamp their WR room again next season so having Meyers in there as a WR 4/5 would be a nice security blanket. But it feels like a wasted roster spot this year.

They'll have Harry and Edelman.

That's more than they begin with this year.

They'll have Harry and Edelman.

That's more than they begin with this year.

34 year old Edelman though. I thought Meyers was way overhyped this offseason but still think he can be a good 4 WR in the NFL and worthy of a roster spot.

Lol I was being roasted just like a week ago for questioning if Meyers is legit. I do hope he gets to stick around, done enough that I'd like to develop him more. Would be tough to sneak him onto the PS unfortunately. Gunner may beat him out for the roster spot and that may be the last of him.

Seems like Hoyer has “shadow roster” potential. Does any NFL team really want him at 33 years old? At the least couldn’t they release him, IR Andrews, then sign him back?
Cassel may be available too, would be nice to have one of them ready to go in case Brady (or Stidham in practice) gets hurt.

Like every year the end of the roster is most up in the air when it's time to make the real decisions.

There's so many balls in the air.

I don’t see how they can’t go with 3 QBs now. Stidham has upside but IMO he’s not ready to take over and keep the ship steady for a few games if 12 goes down. Hoyer is the better option this season and next season should hopefully be the time both sides move on. Let Stidham marinate in the coaching and playbook, work on his mechanics, and reevaluate next preseason.

Got a bad feeling that Edelmans thumb is going to be a lingering issue all season. Surely they tape it up but still.

Toes are another seemingly inconsequential injury that nag a player all season long.

I don’t see how they can’t go with 3 QBs now. Stidham has upside but IMO he’s not ready to take over and keep the ship steady for a few games if 12 goes down. Hoyer is the better option this season and next season should hopefully be the time both sides move on. Let Stidham marinate in the coaching and playbook, work on his mechanics, and reevaluate next preseason.

I want the roster spot for another player who can play. The Pats aren’t winning anything with Hoyer, who would be a great QB coach and at this point that’s what he should be doing. If TB is out a few games, they can do what they did when he was suspended; Stidham is better than JG or JB at the same stage of their careers. If TB’s out for the season, then let’s roll with Stidham and see what we’ve got.

Sure, you say that now.
I see both sides : we’d “see more wins w Hoyer”’ but I don’t think it’d be enough for a SB run... so if (hope it never happens, obv) TB was out for 2019, why play for decent when we can ride the rookie and regroup for 2020 while the new guy gets experience ?

Hoyer should be kept (1) to hold down the fort in the event TB misses time but can return (2) because he is a vet that contributes to wins behind the scenes (3) as a locker / practice contributor. #1 is the “best reason” IMo.

Sure, you say that now.

Yup and if he throws 20 picks I’ll own it. I think he was starting to develop even just from the beginning to the end of last night’s game. But I’d rather Brady be healthy for the entire year, whether they keep Hoyer or not.

LOL...I wouldn’t put it past em’ :rolleyes:

I want the roster spot for another player who can play. The Pats aren’t winning anything with Hoyer, who would be a great QB coach and at this point that’s what he should be doing. If TB is out a few games, they can do what they did when he was suspended; Stidham is better than JG or JB at the same stage of their careers. If TB’s out for the season, then let’s roll with Stidham and see what we’ve got.
If (god forbid) Brady went down for the year then I agree, roll with the rookie and see what he's got. If Brady is going to miss 3-4 games then I would rather have Hoyer out there. Brady goes down its a lost season and a chance to see what they have. If it's just a couple games I think we have a better chance of Hoyer keeping us in the hunt till Brady comes back.

A conundrum
Hard to believe BB desires 6 real WRs (Slater not included)
Seems overkill, especially when you consider how easy it was for BB to start last season with only 2 effective WRs
On the other hand
3 Pats WRs are signed thru this year.... Thomas, Dorsett, Gordon.
2 of these WRs have concerns....health and staying on the wagon
Most GMs would have an eye on the future and maintain a young cost controlled bull pen who could develop a connection with the future QB
But we know BB is not the typical GM

Imagine a Patriots team with too many WR assets. I think I just saw a pig fly by.
———————
Trade Thomas for 2 #1’s and an elite TE, C, and LT

Perhaps, they'll make up something like the Patriots cheated by defying basic laws of science such as the Ideal Gas Law to justify punishing them. Oh wait, they already did that...

They think the Ideal Gas Law is the perfect algorithm for NFL executives’ flatulence.

even though he's a rookie, stidham made throws to starting WR's that a QB needs to make to take advantage of the WR talent.........with that in mind, I see no real value in keeping hoyer.......he's not taking this team anywhere anyway......if brady goes down, the team may make the playoffs but will not win a game.

they could also live without burkhead and dorsett

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft