PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fight for the ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Maybe it is me and I have a selective memory but I can't remember the last time someone on the Pats not named Gronk made a contested catch. I'm not saying they don't make tough catches because they do. Edelmen's catch against the Broncos when he got drilled was a tough catch but not an example of having to fight for a ball. I just don't recall a play where a Patriot (non Gronk) and a defender were going for a 50/50 ball and the Pat simply took it from the defender. An example of what I'm talking about is the deep throw to James White to the right side of the endzone. The ball was underthrown a bit and if White comes BACK for the ball to fight the defender for it he a) stops the defender from getting uncontested position and b) maybe draws a pass interference call. It might get called PI or it might not but by waiting, or rather keep running forward he allowed the defender the ability to make the play.

While it is a ridiculously large task to ask your fourth running back to be your best deep threat, that was what he was asked to do against Denver and unfortunately he left some plays on the field. Not saying he is the reason Denver won, hell he is not even in the top 10 reasons but it would be nice to see someone Fight for the ball.

To be clear I'm not complaining. Five straight AFC championship games is amazing and probably will never be done again (until next year when the Pats make it six straight). This is just something I've notices this year with LeFell, Martin, etc running their deep routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes