PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fields traded to Steelers

What I find bizarre is that we have a 15-page thread debating the value of a 6th round draft pick in the current year versus the value of a 6th round draft pick in the following year.
Agree, this thread makes the entire forum look dumb.

I'm sure if you asked Brissett, he'd say he's there to start and then see where it goes from there. He wouldn't be the first guy who stayed in there longer because the rookie was taking a hot minute to get the lead out.
Yes. He is there to start. That’s not a lie. He will start until the rookie is ready.

I think they're hoping that Jacoby is good enough to let the rookie stay on the bench the whole season. If so, then he's worth the $8 million.
If by some chance Wolf built an O-Line was was utterly dominant, if he found some explosive weapons in the draft, if the defense returned to full strength this season... they could let Brissett play and he could win games.

He's about as good as Brad Johnson who won a ring with the Buc's, solid if unspectacular. He's as good if not a shade better than Trent Dilfer.

With Brissett as QB last season I think that Pats team would have won 6 more games.

Eagles (5 point loss) (difference in the game was a Jones pick-6)
@Raiders (2 point loss, ya it ended up being 4 points but because Jones took a safety at the end) (Jones interception inside the Vegas redzone)
Commanders (3 point loss) (Jones interception just out the Wash. redzone to end the game)
Colts (4 point loss) (lost on a terrible redzone pick by Jones)
@giants (3 point loss) (redzone pick by Jones that they returned inside the NE25 which set them up for their only TD)
Chargers (6-0 loss)

You can see a common theme in those close loses they had.

4-13 becomes 10-7

Think you could even argue 2 more games . The game in Buffalo (Zappe threw 3 INTs and it still was a 6 point game and stayed a 6 point game for the last 11 minutes) and the jest game (was a 9-3 game with less than 2 minutes left)

potentially 12-5 with better QB play.
You're not wrong but that same analysis could probably be used on a bunch of teams with records 500 or worse.

We could have had Mac Jones for a 6th, and he’s a pro bowler.

And although I know it’s off topic, but I just love the way the Jets talk about Zach Wilson. It’s like he’s not even there.

If by some chance Wolf built an O-Line was was utterly dominant, if he found some explosive weapons in the draft, if the defense returned to full strength this season... they could let Brissett play and he could win games.

He's about as good as Brad Johnson who won a ring with the Buc's, solid if unspectacular. He's as good if not a shade better than Trent Dilfer.
"He's about as good as Brad Johnson who won a ring with the Buc's." When Brad Johnson won a ring with the Bucs in 2002 (and went to the Pro Bowl), he was in his seventh season as a starting quarterback. He had never had a losing season to that point. Brisset has never had a winning season record in his eight-year NFL career. Oh, and did I mention that Johnson had previously gone to the Pro Bowl in 1999 after leading the otherwise pathetic Washington Snyders to a 10-6 record. I've forgotten the number of Brissett Pro Bowl appearances.

"He's about as good as Brad Johnson who won a ring with the Buc's." When Brad Johnson won a ring with the Bucs in 2002 (and went to the Pro Bowl), he was in his seventh season as a starting quarterback. He had never had a losing season to that point. Brisset has never had a winning season record in his eight-year NFL career. Oh, and did I mention that Johnson had previously gone to the Pro Bowl in 1999 after leading the otherwise pathetic Washington Snyders to a 10-6 record. I've forgotten the number of Brissett Pro Bowl appearances.
Mac Jones and Tyrod Taylor went to a Pro Bowl, and they are exceptional players... I stand corrected.

Also when you look at the teams surrounding Brissett, you see things like 28th ranked defense, 32nd in sacks and 27th worst at running the ball with the Colts... or the 25th ranked defense with the Browns. Brad Johnson had better team around him when he had success.

I know there are fans who believe that QB's possess magic powers that can overcome the league worst offensive lines and defenses surrounding them... but those people are dreamers who believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus... and don't really understand the sport they're talking about.

Mac Jones and Tyrod Taylor went to a Pro Bowl, and they are exceptional players... I stand corrected.

Also when you look at the teams surrounding Brissett, you see things like 28th ranked defense, 32nd in sacks and 27th worst at running the ball with the Colts... or the 25th ranked defense with the Browns. Brad Johnson had better team around him when he had success.

I know there are fans who believe that QB's possess magic powers that can overcome the league worst offensive lines and defenses surrounding them... but those people are dreamers who believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus... and don't really understand the sport they're talking about.
Well we have the 32nd ranked Offense what's with Biscuit and 32nd??
White Guy Blinking Batting Eyes GIF

What I find bizarre is that we have a 15-page thread debating the value of a 6th round draft pick in the current year versus the value of a 6th round draft pick in the following year.

I dunno if it does qualify as a DEBATE ??

when you just have one individual who never learned or even heard of the „Time-Value of Money“. (The first basic principle of money and investing. )

Then 30 other folks are trying to convince the obtuse one. That is not really a debate, especially when the only argument-logic the one brings is: ‚I disagree‘

Well, the Pope didn’t agree that the world is round. Galileo is on tshirts today 480-500 years later and you don’t have to say his last name. Which pope again?

It seems they already decided RW is the starter and Fields will backup him.

That seems premature to me, saying that before training camp. I thought the Steelers would be inclined to pick his 5th year option since they are paying nothing for RW but seems like it's not the case.

That seems premature to me, saying that before training camp. I thought the Steelers would be inclined to pick his 5th year option since they are paying nothing for RW but seems like it's not the case.
They are saying that so that there is peace in the locker room during training camp. If Fields wins the job RW will be cut loose ala Cam Newton in 2021.

Well, I guess you've pretty much discredited the value of Pro Bowl appearances as an indicator of a strong season by citing the statistical outliers who made it once and are otherwise average or below average. Johnson did make the Pro Bowl twice and quarterbacked a team that won the Super Bowl. But he's the same as Brissett.

Fields option would have to be picked up by May 2nd at which point Pittsburgh would be on the hook for a fully guaranteed $26M

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back