PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fewest takeaways by a Patriots defense since Belichick became coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet that philosophy was good enough to win in 2014 and 2016. Yes, the defense had a terrible game, but if the protection held up for Brady, he probably would have orchestrated yet another game winning drive.

The philosophy is fine. People are just brainwashed by the media and fantasy football to want highlight plays instead of playing the percentages like BB has done.

What goes totally under is that it is literally impossible to play as aggressive as the Rams, Denver or Seattle without getting some blue chip players via the draft around the same timeframe. Which means you have to at least have two drafts in the single digits AND hit on those players. And even then after you reach a level where you are a contender you wont be able to sustain it for more than 2-3 years before those players get out of their rookie contracts and the compromises start.

Front 7=====>JAGgy
Lack of pass rush=======>too few QB fumbles, batted passes, or forced throws leading to INTs
Rebuild time!

The philosophy is fine. People are just brainwashed by the media and fantasy football to want highlight plays instead of playing the percentages like BB has done.

What goes totally under is that it is literally impossible to play as aggressive as the Rams, Denver or Seattle without getting some blue chip players via the draft around the same timeframe. Which means you have to at least have two drafts in the single digits AND hit on those players. And even then after you reach a level where you are a contender you wont be able to sustain it for more than 2-3 years before those players get out of their rookie contracts and the compromises start.

Yeah, it's tough to put together high end talent like that. I think there's a happy medium to be found, however, between "blow it all up" and "everything is fine." I'm not saying that the sky is falling, but it is clear that we need some front seven players who are capable of rushing the passer. Turnovers are important. If we could have taken the ball away in the 4th, or even stopped them one time at the end of the game, that's probably a win. So it goes.

Yeah, it's tough to put together high end talent like that. I think there's a happy medium to be found, however, between "blow it all up" and "everything is fine." I'm not saying that the sky is falling, but it is clear that we need some front seven players who are capable of rushing the passer. Turnovers are important. If we could have taken the ball away in the 4th, or even stopped them one time at the end of the game, that's probably a win. So it goes.

Of course. The issue here is simply that lack of a draft pipeline on defense.

Since 2013 those are the defensive players we have on our team that were drafted in lets say the first 4 rounds:

Harmon (13, 3rd), Brown (15, 1st), Richards (15, 2nd), Grissom (15, 3rd), Flowers (15, 4th), Cyrus (16, 2nd), VV (16, 3rd), Rivers (17, 3rd), Wise (17, 4th)

We only have one first round talent (drafted at #32) from the last 5 drafts on our team. Out of those 9 players only Harmon, Brown and Flowers have proved to be talented. I will set Wise aside for now because he is a rookie but he is on a good trajectory.

But think about it. Only 3 key contributors in the last 5 drafts. Yes we got lucky with some UDFAs like the Butlers but there really is a talent pipeline issue that caught up this year especially with us where the LBs are slow and the DEs not always impactful enough.

Now some of it is on risky drafts (Easley), picks not working out (Cyrus, Richards, Grissom), financial reasons (Collins, Ryan), the NFL taking away our picks or trading picks for finished players. Either way it will be difficult to fix those 3-4 lost pipeline years in one offseason.

All that being said I think that this might be part why BB is contemplating bringing Schiano and a couple college level coordinators on board. They really need to hit during this draft and in a way that helps to evolve the traditional BB defense into something that can combat those college influences that are taking root in the NFL more effectively.

Of course. The issue here is simply that lack of a draft pipeline on defense.

Since 2013 those are the defensive players we have on our team that were drafted in lets say the first 4 rounds:

Harmon (13, 3rd), Brown (15, 1st), Richards (15, 2nd), Grissom (15, 3rd), Flowers (15, 4th), Cyrus (16, 2nd), VV (16, 3rd), Rivers (17, 3rd), Wise (17, 4th)

We only have one first round talent (drafted at #32) from the last 5 drafts on our team. Out of those 9 players only Harmon, Brown and Flowers have proved to be talented. I will set Wise aside for now because he is a rookie but he is on a good trajectory.

But think about it. Only 3 key contributors in the last 5 drafts. Yes we got lucky with some UDFAs like the Butlers but there really is a talent pipeline issue that caught up this year especially with us where the LBs are slow and the DEs not always impactful enough.

Now some of it is on risky drafts (Easley), picks not working out (Cyrus, Richards, Grissom), financial reasons (Collins, Ryan), the NFL taking away our picks or trading picks for finished players. Either way it will be difficult to fix those 3-4 lost pipeline years in one offseason.

All that being said I think that this might be part why BB is contemplating bringing Schiano and a couple college level coordinators on board. They really need to hit during this draft and in a way that helps to evolve the traditional BB defense into something that can combat those college influences that are taking root in the NFL more effectively.

Well I like a lot of the Ohio State defenders. Schiano might want to return to the well.

Well I like a lot of the Ohio State defenders. Schiano might want to return to the well.

A lot of people are suggesting that Seattles draft success in the later rounds 2010-2012 was because Carrol had some inside info from his time as college coach. Well lets see if this really helps..

A lot of people are suggesting that Seattles draft success in the later rounds 2010-2012 was because Carrol had some inside info from his time as college coach. Well lets see if this really helps..
Makes sense. It helped Chuck Fairbanks & Ron Meyer during their first drafts as Pats HCs, especially Fairbanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back