PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Falcons open to trading the number 4 pick.

No. Doesn't make sense without knowing who the first 3 players taken are.
Going for the 4th or 5th QB left on the board is not that exciting, while giving up extra picks, compared to possibly taking the #1 defensive player at their respective position at 15. Let's try to not decimate the roster like our OC did with the Denver Broncos.

Great post, we were all hoping you would use another thread to crap on MacDaniels. None of us are sick of it, we all read every post in the hopes you will sh.t on MacDaniels.

FWIW (nothing), I recently read that Tom Curran claimed that Arthur Blank would not be open to a trade with the Patriots because he was still pissed about the Pats including '28-3' reference (283 diamonds) on their Super Bowl 51 rings.
Any comment from Miss Vicki?

if he doesn't go up and get a QB the fan base will start jumping out of windows

Ha. I'm fine with another go with Cam in 2021. I think he might surprise people. If we get an elite DLine, LB corps to completement the great secondary, the offense could do well running a ton, 2TE play action, chew up a ton of clock. I think burning multiple 1st rounders for the 4th or 5th QB left is desperation, a loser move our OC would probably do like he destroyed the roster in Denver. Not worth it.

I honestly would rather not trade up. I think BB should either take darrisaw, barmore, horn, or collins at 15. Then take Davis mills at #46 and his buddy fehoko in the 4th.

I would be thrilled with Zaven Collins at 15. He's a perfect fit in our 2-4 defense.

Ha. I'm fine with another go with Cam in 2021.

tumblr_o5tqaa68t91rfd7lko1_400.gif

Why is everyone trading down? #3 pick trading down. #4 pick trading down. #6 trades down. #8 trades for Darnold. I wonder why that is? Could it be that NONE of those teams are excited about the QB prospects after Lawrence and Wilson? And now that the 9ers are definitely taking a QB at #3, that means everyone is looking at QB #4 at best. And they are all running for the hills? Why?

I know the answer. Because BB is going to trade three 1sts for the QB prospect no-one else wants because he is playing chess :rolleyes: Or QB #4 and below are significant projects not worth a top 10 pick ;), and BB will never make that trade.
I wouldn't characterize it that way. Just have to look at each individual situation.

1. Jags and Jets obviously haven't traded down and are taking QBs.
2. Dolphins traded down... because they have a QB in Tua and want to build around him. Note that after trading DOWN to 12, they then traded back UP to 6, with Philly.
3. Eagles traded down with Miami... because they have QB in Hurts. I don't think Hurts is necessarily "the guy" but I also think they've already decided their situation is a dumpster fire and intend to punt this year, so may as well secure more capital over the next couple years.
4. If Atlanta did trade down, again, it'd be because they have a QB in Ryan, who they've recently restructured and who they'd suffer insane dead money from dumping over the next couple years.

None of those situations particularly scream "these QBs are bad" to me, more of "we have a QB" or "we're not looking for a QB."

I wouldn't characterize it that way. Just have to look at each individual situation.

1. Jags and Jets obviously haven't traded down and are taking QBs.
2. Dolphins traded down... because they have a QB in Tua and want to build around him. Note that after trading DOWN to 12, they then traded back UP to 6, with Philly.
3. Eagles traded down with Miami... because they have QB in Hurts. I don't think Hurts is necessarily "the guy" but I also think they've already decided their situation is a dumpster fire and intend to punt this year, so may as well secure more capital over the next couple years.
4. If Atlanta did trade down, again, it'd be because they have a QB in Ryan, who they've recently restructured and who they'd suffer insane dead money from dumping over the next couple years.

None of those situations particularly scream "these QBs are bad" to me, more of "we have a QB" or "we're not looking for a QB."

The 9ers already have a QB, better than Tua and Hurts, and they traded up because they believe in a guy (supposedly Jones). Lolphins and Eagles would not trade down if they believed in a QB prospect. Panthers have Bridgewater and went with Darnold because they are not enamored with any of the rookie QBs either.

Let's ask a different question to make the same point. Do you think Miami, Philly, Atlanta, or the Panthers are making the same moves if they could select Lawrence? I doubt it.

All of those teams don't think QB #4 and below are top ten picks.

Ha. I'm fine with another go with Cam in 2021. I think he might surprise people. If we get an elite DLine, LB corps to completement the great secondary, the offense could do well running a ton, 2TE play action, chew up a ton of clock. I think burning multiple 1st rounders for the 4th or 5th QB left is desperation, a loser move our OC would probably do like he destroyed the roster in Denver. Not worth it.

Actually no. A QB is the most important position on an NFL team. Its not a move of desperation. Look at your most consistent winning teams over the last 20 years, which did not have a top QB? All teams covet this position more than any other position. What good is a top 5 pick if you do not have a QB? Without a QB your ceiling is low, that is the NFL today and its not going to change anytime soon. Sometimes teams go for years without getting that guy and their team suffers for it. Its not easy and it takes patience. The browns went years with top 5 draft picks and could not field a team worth a crap, until....they got a good Qb, now they do things like win playoff games. Trying to win despite your QB is not successful and never has been.

The 9ers already have a QB, better than Tua and Hurts, and they traded up because they believe in a guy (supposedly Jones). Lolphins and Eagles would not trade down if they believed in a QB prospect. Panthers have Bridgewater and went with Darnold because they are not enamored with any of the rookie QBs either.

Let's ask a different question to make the same point. Do you think Miami, Philly, Atlanta, or the Panthers are making the same moves if they could select Lawrence? I doubt it.

All of those teams don't think QB #4 and below are top ten picks.
  1. Whether JAG is better than what Tua/Hurts will be is debatable.
  2. JAG hasn't been able to stay healthy. You need your QB1 to be able to stay on the field.
  3. Lawrence is considered a can't miss prospect of the sort that comes along 1-2 times a decade.
  4. Despite the recent Cardinals/Jets moves with the teams drafting a second high pick in just a couple of years, teams rarely give up on high first round QBs before the first contract is up/in its last year.

1. Whether JAG is better than what Tua/Hurts will be is debatable.
  2. JAG hasn't been able to stay healthy. You need your QB1 to be able to stay on the field.
  3. Lawrence is considered a can't miss prospect of the sort that comes along 1-2 times a decade.
  4. Despite the recent Cardinals/Jets moves with the teams drafting a second high pick in just a couple of years, teams rarely give up on high first round QBs before the first contract is up/in its last year.
Getting a QB that is a franchise QB is the hardest thing to do in football. But you have to try. We got lucky 20 years ago, one fell in our lap, that is rare. Those days are gone, we are one of those teams that have to worry about QB now like other teams have for years. Its not going to be easy, but that is how football goes, and that is where the pats are now.

In regards to Miami, I would not be surprised if they take a QB in round two.

The Dolphins have a #6 and #18 in the first round, #36 and #50 in the second, and #81 in the third.

Tua wasn't awful, but he wasn't great either last year. Most was due to injury, but at one point he was benched for Fitzpatrick. 34th in passing yards, 29th in completion percentage, 16th in passer rating. Miami could conceivably pick up a second tier QB as a Plan B contingency in case he does not progress at either #36, or by trading up from #50 (past the Patriots) in the second round.

In regards to Miami, I would not be surprised if they take a QB in round two.

The Dolphins have a #6 and #18 in the first round, #36 and #50 in the second, and #81 in the third.

Tua wasn't awful, but he wasn't great either last year. Most was due to injury, but at one point he was benched for Fitzpatrick. 34th in passing yards, 29th in completion percentage, 16th in passer rating. Miami could conceivably pick up a second tier QB as a Plan B contingency in case he does not progress at either #36, or by trading up from #50 (past the Patriots) in the second round.
I am just not sure the tires have been kicked long enough on Tua. There have been hall of fame QB's have much worse years than he had. The problem comes with if Miami thinks they have the team that can win now with the right QB, that is where the issue comes up.

I am just not sure the tires have been kicked long enough on Tua. There have been hall of fame QB's have much worse years than he had. The problem comes with if Miami thinks they have the team that can win now with the right QB, that is where the issue comes up.

I think Miami needs to give tua more games to show what kind of qb he is going to become.

maybe help him along with another weapon or two.

I think Miami needs to give tua more games to show what kind of qb he is going to become.

maybe help him along with another weapon or two.
I mean I can say without a doubt he hurt them last year, but If you liked him when you took him, enough time has not passed for them to say they don't like him now. I saw flashes of him being great, but you have to give a bit more time. Hell Mahomes sat the bench for a year.

I mean I can say without a doubt he hurt them last year, but If you liked him when you took him, enough time has not passed for them to say they don't like him now. I saw flashes of him being great, but you have to give a bit more time. Hell Mahomes sat the bench for a year.

I agree.

I agree too.

Lots of QBs have great flashes but never are consistent. Great flashes are not a good indicator. After the 1st game of 2020 there were multiple PatsFans posters calling for a multiple year deal at over $20M per year FOR CAM.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back