PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excepting 2000, this year has been the best draft of the BB era.

Agree. Dugger has gotten better in coverage, though. You have to admit that. He was manned up with Pitts for most of the night and nearly erased him.

Oh yeah, that INC early in the first quarter was due to Dugg's sticky coverage on Pitts... He used to be yards away from his assignment; now he's starting to close those gaps more often.

Zach Wilson sucks bad and most people with a brain saw this coming when a freaking QB from BYU shot up the board because he had good measuresbles. And the 49ers front office should literally be thrown in prison for using 3 first round picks to get Trey Lance.

But I feel pretty confident that Lawrence and yes even Fields on the Pats this season would be currently performing as the best rookie QB.

Fields was still raw but he could eventually have be good here. Way different style but coaching staff would have designed the O to utilize his talents. His first few pro games he looked lost. Credit to coaches & himself for rebound.
The Jete destroyed Hack Wilson in record time.

The 2010 draft was his best. Gronk is a NFL 100 player and first ballot hall of famer this alone swings it out of the park. You drafted the greatest tight end of all time. McCourty is a Patriots Hall of Famer, Hernandez was destined to be great, Spikes was solid

The Pats **** is tight top to bottom, Even heard they have better food.
I tried to be a draft apologist, but they had some recent poor years.

Always wondered why they couldn't nail the draft like they do with everything else (including UDFA's).
Seems like they have righted the drafting ship.

Last edited:
I wanted the Pats to draft Mac and I am very optimistic about his future here. I really think he has a chance to become the most accurate passer in NFL history. How this ability translates into championships is another question.

Jones after the game was asked how he's spend his first free Sunday of the season:

"Just get home and watch the film and relax with my family and just keep watching film."

Still don't get why some folks weren't high on Mac. Yes, only one season starting at Bama but it was a pretty decent season, and it wasn't all down to stellar WRs and RBs.

Because he doesn't run around and throw halfway across his body. Tom Curran has been touching on this too. The NFL scouts are more enamored with athleticism and measurables than the intangibles

Like getting the ball where it needs to go, on time

It is entirely possible that Mac Jones is an Alex Smith in Kansas City level QB. Which would be great, he had very good stats if you go look them up and with an actual non bozo of a head coach you can win a super bowl with that. But Jesus, generational? Why can’t we just say he looks good?
Because there's no penalty for exaggeration, superlatives get slapped on so many things these days.

Also, due to short news cycles hot takes don't last very long, so the first to slap on a superlative gets the most mileage out of it.

Germane to this conversation, on the Rich Eisen hot take piece on why no one else drafted Mac Jones, his co-host said Mac was a mini-van, reliable, gets the job done, unlike Trevor Lawrence who is a sports car, and some people will put up with the lower reliability to get a few more thrills in life.

Mac Jones, the Honda Odyssey of Quarterbacks!

IMO that's selling him short, but it's not a terrible "floor" to start from.

PS: Jesus was a generational talent. Look at how many Bibles He sold. That's my hot take for the moment.

In case it slipped ...

We basically gave Perk & McGrone a RS year. We have 3 rookies making significant contributions rn. That's a great class, big time hit so far but it could get better.

Perk is learning a new spot. He almost never was standing up in college so he has an uphill climb but he's a beast that plays with his hair on fire. Not an athletic monster but his play speed, strength and motor show up all the time. A bit tight, high-cut but savvy and smart in how he moved around in the trenches. Big time attitude and effort. Hopefully he's helping the cause and terrorizing QB's next year. Both him and Barmore came from a slant system.

Mcgrone is another ball of clay. Tough thumper with heavy hands but showed off instincts and some athleticism at Michigan. Came from an attacking blitz heavy system not much time in coverage but I like his upside there. Quick learner, mentally and physically tough as ****.

Hopefully both or one hit. Two names to keep in the back of your mind next summer.

Last edited:
Perkins listed by some as a late 2nd so the value was great. Is he learning a new position? I’d like to know what the team plans are for him. Sometimes hard once these guys are stashed away, what type of progress they are making.

McGrone might be one of the more interesting picks. Fans keep pumping their fists for a LB next draft but I’d like to see what they got in these two first. McGrone has 4.4 speed allegedly with instincts and athleticism to match. So a possible sideline to sideline LB could be had here. I’ve read one comparison to a Micah Parsons. High praise, maybe another Crable but we’re hoping for special. L

In case it slipped ...

We basically gave Perk & McGrone a RS year. We have 3 rookies making significant contributions rn. That's a great class, big time hit so far but it could get better.

Perk is learning a new spot. He almost never was standing up in college so he has an uphill climb but he's a beast that plays with his hair on fire. Not an athletic monster but his play speed, strength and motor show up all the time. A bit tight, high-cut but savvy and smart in how he moved around in the trenches. Big time attitude and effort. Hopefully he's helping the cause and terrorizing QB's next year. Both him and Barmore came from a slant system.

Mcgrone is another ball of clay. Tough thumper with heavy hands but showed off instincts and some athleticism at Michigan. Came from an attacking blitz heavy system not much time in coverage but I like his upside there. Quick learner, mentally and physically tough as ****.

Hopefully both or one hit. Two names to keep in the back of mind next summer.

Was just coming in to mention McGrone and Perkins, and here you go again, beating me to it!

I hope they get a good read on McGrone before next year's draft, otherwise a speed LB might be our first pick.

Perkins listed by some as a late 2nd so the value was great. Is he learning a new position? I’d like to know what the team plans are for him. Sometimes hard once these guys are stashed away, what type of progress they are making.
That was the scuttlebutt this summer. He barely played standing up in college and with his size you'd figure he'll be playing with his hand up a lot more.
McGrone might be one of the more interesting picks. Fans keep pumping their fists for a LB next draft but I’d like to see what they got in these two first. McGrone has 4.4 speed allegedly with instincts and athleticism to match. So a possible sideline to sideline LB could be had here. I’ve read one comparison to a Micah Parsons. High praise, maybe another Crable but we’re hoping for special. L
He's everything a lot have been asking for while checking the boxes Bill likes. We definitely liked what Michigan is putting out.
Was just coming in to mention McGrone and Perkins, and here you go again, beating me to it!

I hope they get a good read on McGrone before next year's draft, otherwise a speed LB might be our first pick.
Good point on LB. We might already have "next years" answer stashed. Of course a lot rides on how he's healed up .. How far along he is .. But yeah he's an intriguing guy.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back