Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Jarrett Stidham...

• Could start right now, and is probably our starter within the next 24 months

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • ... is bridge starter, could handle himself at an average or so level while we figure out the future

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • ... is an emergency starter, he's got some ability but we hope never to see him starting regularly

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • ... is a project starter, things need to fall right for this guy to be effective

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • ... is career backup, he's here to hold a clipboard and nothing more

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I honestly have no idea what Jarrett Stidham is

Votes: 62 52.5%
  • Ray Lewis killed Jarrett Stidham

Votes: 18 15.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Id be alot more comfortable if we can squeeze one more year out of brady. Next years schedule looks brutal and not the kind you’d wanna throw an unproven qb into a starter role. Of course the schedule strength may change but right now it’s looking very tough.

Plus I would imagine by year 3 he will be surely ready if hes the one were going with, Jimmy g was ready by year 3 and Stidham seems to have similar potential/growth through 1 year based on the reports, which is all we really have right now.

Jarrett Stidham is unequivocally, beyond the shadow of any doubt, 100% in mind, a guy who has played quarterback in a game of American Football.

He's no Jason Statham that's for sure

I'm not sure how anyone can answer this at all. What has he thrown 1 pass in the NFL? Wasn't it picked off? Pre season I mean...that's not even football. Pure guessing game.
A glorious pick six. That must have been a good confidence boost!

For the 1,000th time: he threw and completed two passes before the pick-six (which apparently has doomed his chances forever according to many board experts).

For the 1,000th time: he threw and completed two passes before the pick-six (which apparently has doomed his chances forever according to many board experts).
Stidham will be, at best, a mediocre starter in this league.

Well, I guess that settles it. Lock the thread now?

It's OK to not have a clue no need to publicize it.
BB has seen him in practice for a full year now. HE likely has a very good idea of what Stidham can become whether just a scrub, or a quality NFL starter.

I will relax and what what BB does about the position this off season. Whatever he decides I am good with.

You missed the pot.

Here's hoping your first daughter comes by next September precluding all that time wasted on evaluating 18-20-year-olds for NFL potential. :)
I hit the pot just fine. As has been the case in the past, you’re judging players whose biggest body of previous work was college football... when you don’t want college football. Thus far in the NFL, the same problems that I have mentioned have caused him to throw off his back foot which led to an INT going the other way and him getting pulled from the game. I’ve noted that he could improve. Any player could improve. But based on what I know from what I have seen, which is hell of a lot more than what you have seen, those are his problems. Part of me kind of hopes you guys get your wish, and he takes over for Brady. Either he will have improved and will allow us to move on in 2020, or he will not be ready and those throws that hit the dirt with Brady when they weren’t there will turn into turnovers. The latter event would suck, but at least this place would be high quality reading when people kick themselves in the ass for wishing the team would move on from Brady.

Last edited:
I hit the pot just fine.
No you didn't, and it's starting to smell.

As has been the case in the past, you’re judging players whose biggest body of previous work was college football... when you don’t want college football. Thus far in the NFL, the same problems that I have mentioned have caused him to panic and throw off his back foot which led to an INT going the other way and him getting pulled from the game.
You're just extrapolating what you decided about him from college. There was no "panic," he just made a bad throw. The play was designed as a short drop and his feet were set, he wasn't leaning backward on his right foot.

I’ve noted that he could improve. Any player could improve. But based on what I know from what I have seen, which is hell of a lot more than what you have seen, those are his problems. Part of me kind of hopes you guys get your wish, and he takes over for Brady. Either he will have improved and will allow us to move on in 2020, or he will not be ready and those throws that hit the dirt with Brady when they weren’t there will turn into turnovers. The latter event would suck, but at least this place would be high quality reading when people kick themselves in the ass for wishing the team would move on from Brady.
I'm not necessarily wishing for him to take over for Brady this coming season, maybe in 2021. That's BB's call. But you're SO adamant in your assessment I wonder if you are pulling for him to fail so your "impeccable evaluative insights" will be verified. o_O

Last edited:
No you didn't, and it's starting to smell.

That smell is just your upper lip.

You're just extrapolating what you decided about him from college. There was no "panic," he just made a bad throw. The play was designed as a short drop and his feet were set, he wasn't leaning backward on his right foot.

You should watch the play again. It’s on YouTube, so you can watch it as many times as you want. Short drop, ball comes out as soon as the Jets begin to push the pocket, staring down his read the whole way, and he fires it flat-footed without driving on the ball. It was a panic throw. The ball doesn’t sail like that if your weight is evenly distributed. He did this quite a bit at Auburn as well. His eyes drop to the LoS the minute he begins to feel pressure. At Auburn, he could make up for this by tucking it and running. He won’t have those easy lanes in the pros. So far, you’ve yet to disprove any of my OP.

I'm not necessarily wishing for him to take over for Brady this coming season but maybe in 2021. That's BB's call.

You’ve been vocal in thinking the team should move on from Brady. That’s no doubt why you had a problem with my fair analysis in my OP. Problem is that you have no clue what he looked like as a prospect at the college level, which is the biggest body of work currently to evaluate on him, and now you’re up a creek without a paddle.

But you're SO adamant in your assessment I wonder if you are pulling for him to fail so your "impeccable evaluative insights" will be verified. o_O

Ah yes. That’s why I’ve invested 13 years of my life and 50,000+ posts here. Because I root for players on my favorite team to fail just so I can be right. God damnit, Gump. You must be a god damn genius.

Let’s make this a worthwhile activity. Give me YOUR analysis on him as a quarterback. Tell me what you think about his pocket presence, footwork, release, how he scans the field, his touch on deep and intermediate throws, and if he has a side of the field that he struggles getting the ball to. How’s his blitz recognition? What do you like or dislike about changes he makes at the LoS (this one should be a laugh riot)? What have you seen?

Last edited:
You should watch the play again. It’s on YouTube, so you can watch it as many times as you want. Short drop, ball comes out as soon as the Jets begin to push the pocket, staring down his read the whole way, and he fires it flat-footed without driving on the ball. It was a panic throw. The ball doesn’t sail like that if your weight is evenly distributed. He did this quite a bit at Auburn as well. His eyes drop to the LoS the minute he begins to feel pressure. At Auburn, he could make up for this by tucking it and running. He won’t have those easy lanes in the pros. So far, you’ve yet to disprove any of my OP.
Kontra, you're crazy. There's no sign of him "panicking" and the rush is a non-factor -- it was a SHORT DROP and the ball is SUPPOSED to come out quickly. Look at the end zone view -- he's looking straight ahead until the receiver clears and then he looks at him. His footwork is a little choppy but at least now you admit he didn't throw off his back foot.

You’ve been vocal in thinking the team should move on from Brady. That’s no doubt why you had a problem with my fair analysis in my OP.
No, not at all. My opinion on Brady still is in process but my main concern is cap money for free agents as related to his contract, not because I'm anxious to see Stidham take over.

Problem is that you have no clue what he looked like as a prospect at the college level, which is the biggest body of work currently to evaluate on him, and now you’re up a creek without a paddle.
We're now more than a year removed from Stidham the collegian. That book is closed, none of it matters at this stage. Do you think BB and his coaches are still looking at Auburn film?

Ah yes. That’s why I’ve invested 13 years of my life and 50,000+ posts here. Because I root for players on my favorite team to fail just so I can be right. God damnit, Gump. You must be a god damn genius.
Thanks for the reassurance, I'll take you at your word on this.

Same thing happened to cassell iirc in a 2007 blowout over miami. They ended up putting brady back in the game after his pick 6, Couldn’t have been good for his confidence. Then cassel had a solid season the next year, albeit against a weak schedule

Kontra, you're crazy. There's no sign of him "panicking" and the rush is a non-factor -- it was a SHORT DROP and the ball is SUPPOSED to come out quickly. Look at the end zone view -- he's looking straight ahead until the receiver clears and then he looks at him. His footwork is a little choppy but at least now you admit he didn't throw off his back foot.

The footwork was not the problem there. The problem was the weight transfer. The ball comes out while his back foot is still planted, which is why the ball sails. This happens as right as the Jets run a stunt and begin to push the pocket. And yes, he was definitely staring down his man the whole time. That’s how Adams was able to break toward that area. Here’s a screen shot. Excuse how rudimentary it is because I took it from YouTube on my iPhone...

upload_2020-1-15_16-21-57.png

No, not at all. My opinion on Brady still is in process but my main concern is cap money for free agents as related to his contract, not because I'm anxious to see Stidham take over.

Fair enough.

We're now more than a year removed from Stidham the collegian. That book is closed, none of it matters at this stage.

Aside from two completions and a badly thrown ball that resulted in a pick 6 as well as TC (where guys like Bam Childress and Rohan Davey live in infamy), his college campaign is all that we have to judge him on. You don’t watch college, so it’s not exactly coming as a surprise to me that you have no idea what we have in him as a prospect and don’t seem to have the proper grasp on his strengths and weaknesses coming into the league.

Do you think BB and his coaches are still looking at Auburn film?

I’d certainly hope not. They see him in practice. I don’t. When they watched his Auburn film, they no doubt saw a very raw prospect that had to be coached up before even being able to be mediocre in the league, but with some nice areas that they can start with - touch, accuracy, escapability, mostly solid footwork if given a clean pocket. In other words... a 4th rounder.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-15_16-21-57.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-15_16-21-57.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1
Yeah I don't give a frack about one play

The footwork was not the problem there. The problem was the weight transfer. The ball comes out while his back foot is still planted, which is why the ball sails. This happens as right as the Jets run a stunt and begin to push the pocket. And yes, he was definitely staring down his man the whole time. That’s how Adams was able to break toward that area. Here’s a screen shot. Excuse how rudimentary it is because I took it from YouTube on my iPhone...
OK, you see what you want to see, I'm not going to belabor this beyond one more response. I appears to me that he's looking straight ahead then slightly to the right as Bolden clears. It looks like it's supposed to be a three-step drop but he adds a half-step/bounce, his feet are close together and it's pretty much all arm causing the ball to sail; timing is all off. The rush isn't close to getting to him, I don't see that being a factor vs. feet and timing as the play is designed to get the pass out quick.

Aside from two completions and a badly thrown ball that resulted in a pick 6 as well as TC (where guys like Bam Childress and Rohan Davey live in infamy), his college campaign is all that we have to judge him on. You don’t watch college, so it’s not exactly coming as a surprise to me that you have no idea what we have in him as a prospect and don’t seem to have the proper grasp on his strengths and weaknesses coming into the league.
Re. the snarky (bolded) sentence: why can't you discuss stuff like this without getting on your high horse? It really is unnecessary. Once again: no doubt you have a white-knuckle grip on what Stidham was as a player in college but in present context that was very long ago and quite far away; he arguably is not the same player. I watched him in training camp and preseason games where he exhibited poise, quick release and accuracy. Statistically, he had the best preseason campaign of any Pats rookie QB in BB's tenure -- better than Garoppolo: 61/90 (68 percent), 731 yards, four touchdowns, one interception, 103 QBR. He also rushed 17 times for 88 yards. Dismiss that if you want, but it should speak for something. Subsequent reports on him out of Foxboro have been very positive.

The upshot seems to be you're pessimistic about his pro potential. I'm hopeful with no expectations.

The Draft will be over on April 26. By then we will undoubtedly have a better idea about how the coaches view him. I liked what I saw in preseason and in his junior year in college but that senior year was pretty rough and hard to overlook.

Is this like US Presidents where his name is already too complicated thus won't succeed ?

Stidhan has thrown 3 passes against the Jets and one against the Redskins, none of which are memorable.. and we are evaluating him on that "massive body" of evidence + what some sports scribes have said..

It is gonna be a loooooong off season, about 4 weeks longer than we are used to..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down