Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Jarrett Stidham...

• Could start right now, and is probably our starter within the next 24 months

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • ... is bridge starter, could handle himself at an average or so level while we figure out the future

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • ... is an emergency starter, he's got some ability but we hope never to see him starting regularly

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • ... is a project starter, things need to fall right for this guy to be effective

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • ... is career backup, he's here to hold a clipboard and nothing more

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I honestly have no idea what Jarrett Stidham is

Votes: 62 52.5%
  • Ray Lewis killed Jarrett Stidham

Votes: 18 15.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there too. The receiver Stidham was throwing to was open, Adams made a good read and jumped the route. Also, Stidham completed both pass attempts before that play.
So other than that Mrs Lincoln how did you like the play?

Does BaconGrumpyCamper have a take? Really all we have is his FBS performance. And while I've read his draft take on many, I dunno if I've seen him chime in on Stidham much (he may very well have, I just don't comb threads as thoroughly as some).

Also @BaconGrundleCandy I don't actually think you're a grumpy person lol. More or less a little ribbing on how passionate your Jackson defense is ;)

His sin is he's not Lamar Jackson or Mahomes...welcome to NFL Fans 2020
Maybe Stidham can win a playoff game, unlike Jackson to this point.

Well, shame on rookie Stidham for throwing a bad pass and not learning perfection from the GOAT. :rolleyes:

I’m with you. I want to give the guy a fair shot. I’m just saying he overthrew the pass. It’s easily correctable.

He needed a ton of work and hands-on coaching in order to be NFL ready. He may or may not be. I don’t know that. But the bad habit he has/had would be that his eyes drop to the LoS whenever rushed and he’s tended to make panicked throws. Patriots fans remember this from the Jets game. College fans remember this from his 2018 campaign. My opinion without seeing the improvements he may have made in practice? He’s not ready to take over for the GOAT.

@Tunescribe give us a breakdown of everything you watched out of him at the college level. Your college football analysis is always among the most astute on this forum. You watch so much of it.

He needed a ton of work and hands-on coaching in order to be NFL ready. He may or may not be. I don’t know that. But the bad habit he has/had would be that his eyes drop to the LoS whenever rushed and he’s tended to make panicked throws. Patriots fans remember this from the Jets game.
No they don't, Kontra. The interception he threw was not a "panicked throw," it was a designed play from a short drop. The receiver was open and he overthrew him. You're projecting onto that from what you believe you saw from him in college when he was scrambling for his life behind a bad OL. But at least this time you didn't falsely criticize his delivery. ;) Any Pats fan who thinks they can form an opinion on Stidham from completing two passes and throwing an interception in three attempts during garbage time in that Jets game is an idiot. A much better sampling is his preseason performance.

No they don't, Kontra. The interception he threw was not a "panicked throw," it was a designed play from a short drop. The receiver was open and he overthrew him. You're projecting onto that from what you believe you saw from him in college when he was scrambling for his life behind a bad OL. But at least this time you didn't falsely criticize his delivery. ;) Any Pats fan who thinks they can form an opinion on Stidham from completing two passes and throwing an interception in three attempts during garbage time in that Jets game is an idiot. A much better sampling is his preseason performance.
He threw that ball off his back foot, in a panic, and the ball sailed on him. His delivery was absolutely a problem. This also led to bad throws at Auburn. Here is his last regular season game at Auburn (another college game you’ve never watched). Tell me when that ball goes from ear hole to release. I don’t see it. I see hip to release. That’s not a good a delivery...

As I’ve told you in years past, you really need to refrain from talking about college prospects if you don’t watch the game for a split second. No offense, but you don’t know what you’re talking about.

@Tunescribe give us a breakdown of everything you watched out of him at the college level. Your college football analysis is always among the most astute on this forum. You watch so much of it.
Yeah, right. Because everyone knows players perform exactly in the pros as they did in college. Coaching and supporting cast mean nothing. :rolleyes: How about you give us a breakdown of everything you watched out of him during preseason and training camp?

He threw that ball off his back foot, in a panic, and the ball sailed on him. His delivery was absolutely a problem. This also led to bad throws at Auburn. Here is his last regular season game at Auburn (another college game you’ve never watched). Tell me when that ball goes from ear hole to release. I don’t see it. I see hip to release. That’s not a good a delivery...
(1) I don't care what he did in college, I care what he does as a Patriot; (2) the Jets interception was from a short drop, the pass sailed on him (which everyone knows a good quarterback would never, ever do in a million years and should be condemned for it for all eternity because well, you know, college).

As I’ve told you in years past, you really need to refrain from talking about college prospects if you don’t watch the game for a split second. No offense, but you don’t know what you’re talking about.
Oh shut up. Stidham is not a college prospect, he now is an NFL veteran. If you paid better attention to the sampling he offered last preseason then perhaps more stock could be put in what you're trying to talk about. His mechanics, delivery and accuracy NOW are a strong suit, but by all means don't take my word for it ...

Link: Patriots: QB Jarrett Stidham earning praise from teammates

Link: Jarrett Stidham given rare rookie praise from Bill Belichick

Link: One good thing about Tom Brady’s ailments? Jarrett Stidham, Cody Kessler are finally getting work - The Boston Globe

Link: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/jarrett-stidham-player-stats?seasonType=3

You can remain married to your opinion of "Stidham the college player" as determining his fortunes as a pro, but what you've come up with is a great reason not to waste too much time watching college football. ;)

Yeah, right. Because everyone knows players perform exactly in the pros as they did in college. Coaching and supporting cast mean nothing. :rolleyes: How about you give us a breakdown of everything you watched out of him during preseason and training camp?
Nobody made that claim. That’s an attempt at a straw man because you don’t know enough about the kid (outside of pre-draft write ups which say different things regarding weaknesses and strengths) and maybe 5 minutes of YouTube video. I saw the same things in pre-season as I saw in live reps against SEC athletes. Good placement on the deep and intermediate balls when given time and good footwork. Bad delivery, eyes drop at the first sign of trouble, too quick to tuck it and run instead of moving through his progression. Like I said, an extremely raw prospect that needs a ton of coaching and work. Training camp? LMAO that you’d rather judge by that than live reps against future NFL stars. Tell me again, when does TC All Star Bam Childress get fitted for his HOF jacket and bust?

I let this go before because you’re at least trying to familiarize yourself with these guys and I like you as a poster. But I don’t have a lot of patience for intentional ignorance followed by hubris. Simply put, you don’t sit on the couch like a lump of **** every Saturday watching these kids with an eye on what they can do for the Patriots. I do. You don’t watch SEC football nearly in the volume that I do. You haven’t watched and studied Stidham for hours like I did. You don’t know what you’re talking about. Any attempt to push this conversation further will be a landslide for me and a ton of frustration for you.

In the future, just say this: “I haven’t watched him at the college level, so I don’t have much on my own to go on, but here’s what I’ve read and here are the YouTube clips I’ve watched. I hope Bill gets this right because I think the time is right to move on from Brady.” I can accept that. Telling me that I don’t know what I’m looking at when I’ve looked at it for hours on end in live motion and then afterward online ain’t going to fly. That’s like someone who has never watched soccer a minute in his life trying to debate about Rooney with a crazed lunatic of a soccer fan in England.

Nobody made that claim. That’s an attempt at a straw man because you don’t know enough about the kid (outside of pre-draft write ups which say different things regarding weaknesses and strengths) and maybe 5 minutes of YouTube video. I saw the same things in pre-season as I saw in live reps against SEC athletes. Good placement on the deep and intermediate balls when given time and good footwork. Bad delivery, eyes drop at the first sign of trouble, too quick to tuck it and run instead of moving through his progression. Like I said, an extremely raw prospect that needs a ton of coaching and work. Training camp? LMAO that you’d rather judge by that than live reps against future NFL stars. Tell me again, when does TC All Star Bam Childress get fitted for his HOF jacket and bust?

I let this go before because you’re at least trying to familiarize yourself with these guys and I like you as a poster. But I don’t have a lot of patience for intentional ignorance followed by hubris. Simply put, you don’t sit on the couch like a lump of **** every Saturday watching these kids with an eye on what they can do for the Patriots. I do. You don’t watch SEC football nearly in the volume that I do. You haven’t watched and studied Stidham for hours like I did. You don’t know what you’re talking about. Any attempt to push this conversation further will be a landslide for me and a ton of frustration for you.

In the future, just say this: “I haven’t watched him at the college level, so I don’t have much on my own to go on, but here’s what I’ve read and here are the YouTube clips I’ve watched. I hope Bill gets this right because I think the time is right to move on from Brady.” I can accept that. Telling me that I don’t know what I’m looking at when I’ve looked at it for hours on end in live motion and then afterward online ain’t going to fly. That’s like someone who has never watched soccer a minute in his life trying to debate about Rooney with a crazed lunatic of a soccer fan in England.
College, college, college. College. See post No. 50.

(1) I don't care what he did in college, I care what he does as a Patriot; (2) the Jets interception was from a short drop, the pass sailed on him (which everyone knows a good quarterback would never, ever do in a million years and should be condemned for it for all eternity because well, you know, college).

Oh shut up. Stidham is not a college prospect, he now is an NFL veteran. If you paid better attention to the sampling he offered last preseason then perhaps more stock could be put in what you're trying to talk about. His mechanics, delivery and accuracy NOW are a strong suit, but by all means don't take my word for it ...

Link: Patriots: QB Jarrett Stidham earning praise from teammates

Link: Jarrett Stidham given rare rookie praise from Bill Belichick

Link: One good thing about Tom Brady’s ailments? Jarrett Stidham, Cody Kessler are finally getting work - The Boston Globe

Link: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/jarrett-stidham-player-stats?seasonType=3

You can remain married to your opinion of "Stidham the college player" as determining his fortunes as a pro, but what you've come up with is a great reason not to waste too much time watching college football. ;)
Given that my OP included this part...

He needed a ton of work and hands-on coaching in order to be NFL ready. He may or may not be.

And this...

My opinion without seeing the improvements he may have made in practice?

...I’ll add two things:

1. You didn’t read my OP all that thoroughly, and

2. College was the last time he had reps in an uncontrolled environment, where the coaching staff wasn’t using him to test different things they wanted to do in the regular season.

Relying on his college game tape is therefore the most logical to do.

I personally think he is going to be good to great. I am currently comfortable with him as the starting qb next year. People love to hate on the qb prospects on the patriots, but they turn out to be pretty good.

Does BaconGrumpyCamper have a take? Really all we have is his FBS performance. And while I've read his draft take on many, I dunno if I've seen him chime in on Stidham much (he may very well have, I just don't comb threads as thoroughly as some).

Also @BaconGrundleCandy I don't actually think you're a grumpy person lol. More or less a little ribbing on how passionate your Jackson defense is ;)
Stidham tale is two-part. At times he looked the part of a 1st Rd prospect. Poised, calm, accurate. Talked abt this with Joe Burrow Brady/Trevor Lawrence. Joe really let the play develop and come to him but took it upon himself to make it happen when he needed to. You saw a decent amount of that early on from Stidham. A bit late coming off his first read at times. Generally think he has what it takes to be a good surveyor of the field.

Mechanics are generally solid. At times has trouble resetting if moved off his spot/platform. Back foot was a bit late. Generally good tho. Compact quick release but had a lil hitch at times.

Really nice touch on certain passes. Always thought he threw a pretty ball esp on stick n shoot passes, throws predetermined. Decent fast ball, has a change up to drop it in a bucket at times.

The big concern was folding under pressure. I think a lot of it had to do with the offense he was in. They didn't help him and make it easy. Bad OL. No adjustments from the previous year and teams were ready for Auburn big time.

We basically ignored the bad and took a shot at the good Stidham. Which I love. It's abt what a guy can do not what he can't. Even if he's a career bu great value in the 4th. I had a 3rd on him so again I like it from that pov.

He's someone that will need a lot around him to succeed. Can't expect him to carry the load def not at first. OL most important thing by far. He has to really trust those guys to ease his jumpyness at times. Let him know there's legit protection, guys have his back.

Lot of upside but a lot of work.

Saw it. Shat on it.
You missed the pot.

Given that my OP included this part...

And this...

...I’ll add two things:

1. You didn’t read my OP all that thoroughly, and

2. College was the last time he had reps in an uncontrolled environment, where the coaching staff wasn’t using him to test different things they wanted to do in the regular season.

Relying on his college game tape is therefore the most logical to do.
Here's hoping your first daughter comes by next September precluding all that time wasted on evaluating 18-20-year-olds for NFL potential. :)

You're right. There was no real pass rush on that play. Bolden was open and he just overthrew him. It's one play.

None of it is that useful. He needs to play in significant minutes in a real NFL game before anyone can do a serious evaluation of his ability at the professional level.

On the flip side Lock looks like the start of a star in Denver he was my first choice Stidham my second.
Hoping Stidham and Lock have similar success.
However the thought of BB and McDaniels grooming Love is damn right sexy.

Well I'm not Kontra, and my memories of TC and the preseason are pretty hazy, but I remember being impressed by his poise and ability to stand in the pocket. I thought he was struggling a bit with timing, which is comprehensible when a guy is dealing with unfamiliar personnel and the speed of NFL football was still new to him.

Obviously Bill saw something he liked there, because nothing forced him to cut Hoyer. He cut him because he felt Stidham was ready to be QB2. For a 4th round pick who's still wet behind the ears, that's a fairly impressive level of faith.

So from my perspective, the only data point I have on Stidham is that Mr. Belichick seems to trust him, and immediately promoted him in responsibility literally as far as he possibly could at the time. That speaks very highly of Belichick's assessment of Stidham, and since that's literally the only data point we have, and none of us have any reason at all to seriously doubt Bill's ability to assess talent, I'll take it pending further data that can only be obtained in live games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes