PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN writer predicts Godwin and Watkins to NE

The Steelers have spent a lot more draft capital on WRs than the Pats have.

2015 3rd rd Sammie Coates
2017 2nd rd JuJu
2018 2nd rd James Washington
2019 2nd rd Diontae Johnson
2020 2nd rd Chase Claypool

In that time the Pats have only drafted Harry in the 1st round of the 2019 draft.

With how bad the Steeler run game was this year, I think they spent too many draft picks on WRs and ignored the OL. I'll bet on some Steeler message boards there are complaints about why can't the Steelers draft offensive linemen as good the Pats can, like Thuney, Owenu, Mason, etc.
One WR per draft is NOT too many picks on WRs. In fact, If you enter a typical draft with at least 7 picks, then one of them SHOULD be spent on a WR.

I don’t think Watkins comes here.
I see Golladay Corey Davis Will Fuller those 1 or 2 of those 3 make more sense than Godwin and Watkins.
Cordarelle Patterson said on Twitter he wanted come come back here.
I wouldn’t hate that at least it kept defenses guessing.
Patterson makes kick off returns fun.

One WR per draft is NOT too many picks on WRs. In fact, If you enter a typical draft with at least 7 picks, then one of them SHOULD be spent on a WR.

5 out of 18 prime draft picks over 6 years used on wide receivers is too many. The Steelers ignored the offensive line and they paid the price for that this year.

The Steelers have spent a lot more draft capital on WRs than the Pats have.

2015 3rd rd Sammie Coates
2017 2nd rd JuJu
2018 2nd rd James Washington
2019 2nd rd Diontae Johnson
2020 2nd rd Chase Claypool

In that time the Pats have only drafted Harry in the 1st round of the 2019 draft.

With how bad the Steeler run game was this year, I think they spent too many draft picks on WRs and ignored the OL. I'll bet on some Steeler message boards there are complaints about why can't the Steelers draft offensive linemen as good the Pats can, like Thuney, Owenu, Mason, etc.
With respect to lllloyd who is the exception that proves the rule have you been to a steelers board or been around fans? Looking at non sexy picks like lineman or really any in depth discourse besides "six rings" " at least we didn't cheat for ours" "patriots aren't our daddies we'll get you next time even though we've lost every important playoff game in the past 20 years" are well beyond their mental capabilities. PDS (Patriot Derangement Syndrome) is a real thing and has crippled that fan base more then any other. It is interesting though that the team that pulls pro bowl caliber lineman yearly has won a **** ton more then the team that pulls pro bowl WRs. Almost like games are won in the trenches or something.

That's because you don't understand that the Steelers don't actually have more luck at drafting WRs than other teams.. I did up the comparison of them to the Pats and found that they actually spend over TWICE the draft capitol that the Pats do to get their results.
Please tell me where I said Steelers had more luck!? I'll be over there waiting an eternity for your reply ;)

Please tell me where I said Steelers had more luck!? I'll be over there waiting an eternity for your reply ;)
I didn't say that you said that. Helps if you understood what was being said. YOU stated you wanted their WR reports. My statement was to point out the fact that there is no reason to get their WR reports because they have to spend so much more in the way of draft capitol to get their results.

We'll be waiting an eternity for you to present a cogent argument.

The cap isn't going to jump from $175M to $225M in 2022. That's a $50M jump. That would be a 22% jump. The league typically goes up 5-7% yearly. I can't see them tripling that. Yes, I understand that OTC has it currently at $225M, but that was the projected level prior to COVID. I don't believe they've updated the numbers beyond 2021..
(A) It might be as high as $185M this year.
(B) I expect it'll go up in 2022, and the less it goes down this year, the less of an effect it'll have in future years.
(C) Regardless of what the final number is, the Patriots—as of today—have more cap space to work with in 2022 than almost any other team (the Steelers have $1.5M more, but eight fewer players signed for 2022).

Edelman has missed an average of 4 games a season over last 5 years. He is hurt alot too.

He turns 35 in May. Time to move on and get some new young WR blood in NE. Im not a fan of Watkins but something has to be done.

He wants to be with Tom anyway. Let him go.

I agree, although I dont think Edelman could even make Tampa's roster right now with all the talent they have. Maybe if Godwin leaves, there might be room there for him, but Scotty Miller is a much younger, more athletic version of Edelman with way more top end speed

As long as Brady is in Tampa they are a SuperBowl contender. They are not going to let Godwin walk. And even if they did why would he want to come here where there is no QB? He wouldn't. The only way is if Bill paid him more than anyone else. Not something Bill is going to do. Just absolutely lazy speculation from the writer. Watkins is washed up enouigh, and cheap enough that I could see Bill doing it. He loves cheap recievers like some people love Dollar Tree steak.

I'm not a cap expert but isn't some of the $60M needed to re-sign some of our own UFA? There's some Jags that we'll just let go but either way, all these guys need to be re-signed or replaced.

Cam Newton
Brian Hoyer
James White
Rex Buckhead
Damyere Bird
Joe Thuney
David Andrews
Jermaine Eluemunor
James Ferentz
Lawrence Guy
Adam Butler
John Simon
Carl Davis
Deatrich Wise
Shilique Calhoun
Brandon Copeland
Jason McCourty
Justin Bethel
Terrence Brooks
Cody Davis
Nick Folk
You could resign pretty much everyone there you want to keep, other than Thuney and maybe Guy, simply by restructuring Hightower and Cannon if the do come back, or with the cap savings if they don't.

The 60 million cap space supposes that all 8 COVID opt outs come back.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back